MSD Atomic EFI: Tuning Tuning Tuning

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: MSD Atomic EFI: Tuning Tuning Tuning

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

FSJ Guy wrote:I've had both a 6AL and a streetfire. They both work well with the stock distributor. And they play nice and provided a good signal for my GM TBI systems
Good to hear some positive feedback on what I'm attempting to set up.

The dizzy is stock in design only, lol. Its been locked out and phased, but, thats what I need.

I actually just made a deal for my HEI distributor to be sold to a member of our local FSJ group, so maybe i'll pick up all the parts I need this weekend.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Keep us posted, hoping this will be a fix for your trouble!
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
FSJ Guy wrote:I've had both a 6AL and a streetfire. They both work well with the stock distributor. And they play nice and provided a good signal for my GM TBI systems

The dizzy is stock in design only, lol. Its been locked out and phased, but, thats what I need.

I actually just made a deal for my HEI distributor to be sold to a member of our local FSJ group, so maybe i'll pick up all the parts I need this weekend.
Yes. The stock pickup module is the important part!
:- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

FSJ Guy wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

Yes. The stock pickup module is the important part!
:- )
Yup, looks like literally all that matters is a magnetic pickup. That feeds info back to the EFI, which then triggers the MSD ignition module, which fires the coil, which shoots back through the dizzy and gets directed to the plugs.

anyway, im about to place the order with summit.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

babywag

Re: MSD Atomic EFI: Running and Driving

Post by babywag »

babywag wrote: Some people have had issues with the quality of the HEI, even the more expensive brands.
They are all made offshore, and some are pretty much garbage.

If it was me, I'd get an MSD box, and keep the motorcraft distributor.
^^
LOL back in Aug. 2016

Was thinking about your recent post...did you ever run this system w/ a Duraspark or just the HEI?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: MSD Atomic EFI: Running and Driving

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:
babywag wrote: Some people have had issues with the quality of the HEI, even the more expensive brands.
They are all made offshore, and some are pretty much garbage.

If it was me, I'd get an MSD box, and keep the motorcraft distributor.
^^
LOL back in Aug. 2016

Was thinking about your recent post...did you ever run this system w/ a Duraspark or just the HEI?
to the best of my recollection, I have always had hunting issues. I BELIEVE i had the surging issue before going to HEI, but nowhere near this bad, i dont think.

So, I'm not sure unfortunately, its been so long.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Did we ever determine if any kind of datalogging exists?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I swung by Summit Racing on my way home yesterday and got some goodies.

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

-MSD Street Fire ignition control. pulled it all out got al lthe wiring labeled as per the MSD diagrams for timing control.

-MSD Streetfire TFI style coil rather than a canister one. These last a bit longer, less affected by heat, etc, if im not mistaken? I dont really know what im doing here.

- TFI coil pigtail. After testing, will clip off the ends of the plain wires from the street fire and install the proper pigtail.

- MSD to duraspark connector. This will be a plug and play connection to the modded factory duraspark dizzy, from the EFI throttle body wiring harness.

So, here's the duraspark with the vac and mechanical advance removed, and the reluctor phased approximately 15 degrees advanced (rather than using an MSD distributor with an adjustable rotor, which you would phase 15* retarded). MSD tells you to then install the dizzy, lock out the timing control in the computer, time the dizzy to 15* BTDC with your timing light, then lock it all down, and re-enable the timing control.

Here's where I get confused, and the conclusion I have come to

If I'm not mistaken, by either retarding the rotor, or advancing the reluctor/trigger, we have essentially LOCKED the distributor into 15* advance, when the body of the distributor is in the exact same position it would be when set to 0* advanced. So when i hit it with a timing light and it tells me its 15* advanced, the body of the distributor is actually in the position it would be for zero advance.... by adjusting the guts of the dizzy to fire 15* before the rotor hits the contact, the engine will be timed 15* advanced, when physically the number 1 terminal is in the 0* advanced position (as in, that is where the terminal would be located if you wanted the dizzy to fire at exactly top dead center).

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr
Last edited by Dr. Marneaus on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:Did we ever determine if any kind of datalogging exists?
it does not.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
babywag wrote:Did we ever determine if any kind of datalogging exists?
it does not.
Well that sux!
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

babywag

Post by babywag »

FYI you can use an IH distributor cap to keep your male hei wires.
Just need to file a slot like the stock DS has for the little locator clip in base.
Can kinda see it in this pic...

Part# AL-482

Image[/quote]
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:FYI you can use an IH distributor cap to keep your male hei wires.
Just need to file a slot like the stock DS has for the little locator clip in base.
Can kinda see it in this pic...

Part# AL-482
I was going to pick up a large duraspark cap and adapter. From like an 84 F350. That should work too.

But now I have entered another conundrum. Running the modded dizzy is going to be about $70 out of pocket. (cap, rotor, adapter, and the duraspark pigtail seen in the pics above).

Im already spending money....do I just spend the real money and get the MSD dizzy and adjustable rotor, which would be 100% accurate in adjustments, and be 100% plug and play with the EFI? that would run about $350.

I dont want to dump more cash into this, but if I'm doing it I feel obligated to do it right. But, we don't even know if this is going to fix any of my issues....then i end up dumping another $350 into a thing I hate even more than before....and sure i could do the modded duraspark now to see if it fixes things, then upgrade to a more accurayelt adjustable distributor, but i will have thrown away that $70 on the parts for it.

babywag

Post by babywag »

The small cap I listed above is $25, don't need the 2-piece turd setup.
I've got a newish 2-piece yours for shipping if you want it. ~3000 miles on it.

If it was me I'd do the DS now, and see what happens. Then if you want to buy the MSD later go for it.
Can always sell the modded DS to someone switching to EFI.

I bet I have the dumb MSD adapter harness too...
Last edited by babywag on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:The small cap I listed above is $25, don't need the 2-piece turd setup.
I've got a newish 2-piece yours for shipping if you want it. ~3000 miles on it.

If it was me I'd do the DS now, and see what happens. Then if you want to buy the MSD later go for it.
Can always sell the modded DS to someone switching to EFI.
the modded DS would go back to Nightglide, as he gave it to me for this project.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Either way, I'll just have to think on it.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Either way, I'll just have to think on it.
Just lemme know...stuff has just been collecting dust.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

babywag wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:Either way, I'll just have to think on it.
Just lemme know...stuff has just been collecting dust.
i appreciate the offer, but need to get it done this weekend anyway :-)

I just need to decide if its worth dumping the cash for an MSD.

I don't know why I'm worried here, if I phase the reluctor approximately, it'll probably only vary a few degrees in either direction which I cant imagine is a big issue?

babywag

Post by babywag »

I get it, new is better.
You “should” be fine w/ duraspark!
MSD and duraspark are virtually identical in operation.
They use the same style pickup/reluctor.
The MSD is nice because an adjustable rotor is available.
They look better too, but functionally they are the same.

I say try DS, cheaper, it’s already modified, see what happens.
Can always swap to MSD later.
There is one on CL for $275, been on there for months!
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

$70 is loads cheaper than $350.

Honestly, I've never "phased" my distributors. Just welded them at the "at rest" position, timed the motor at 10-15 degrees with the brown wire disconnected just like GM says to do, reprogrammed the binary file for the new base timing and they worked.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

FSJ Guy wrote:$70 is loads cheaper than $350.

Honestly, I've never "phased" my distributors. Just welded them at the "at rest" position, timed the motor at 10-15 degrees with the brown wire disconnected just like GM says to do, reprogrammed the binary file for the new base timing and they worked.
I’m not sure what any of that means or what system you’re using, but I’m doing this according to the MSD instructions.

The dizzy is in, with an MSD large cap and adapter. The reluctor is phased and the wires are all connected.

The ignition unit is wired, mostly in a temporary fashion (haven’t shortened any wires yet or anything) just need to connect power and ground.

Nightglide is going to fab me up a bracket to mount the TFI coil tomorrow during the day.

After work I’ll just have to mount the coil and connect the power then fire the thing up, adjust timing, and see what happens :-)