First 258 datalog

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

shimniok

Re: First 258 datalog

Post by shimniok »

Incorrectly set up AIR pump can throw off o2 reading

Also... I'm not sure if injector % is a hack also. I'm curious what definition file you are using? And how it is set up to display and/or calculate injector %.

I am not in front of tuner pro but there are a few spots for timing.

There is a scalar for base timing which should match the physical distributor timing. E.g., my dist is physically set to 10* BTDC since I have never met an AMC v8 cant run at 0deg. The scalar is set to 9.84 (closest it can get to a round 10).

A main timing table is used as the main timing curve: rpm vs MAP sensor (essentially, engine load).

Also there is a temperature-based timing compensation table. It either adds or subtracts from the timing if the engine is cold. And also adds timing if the engine is really hot.

There are bias values for the main and temp compensation tables. They basically redefine '0' in the tables. Those tables can only store positive numbers. The bias makes negative numbers possible. The bias is subtracted values in the corresponding table.

There are some other things that alter timing. IIRC, power enrich, deceleration enleanment, hiway lean mode, maybe a couple others.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Quick question, where can I find what the static time is set at in the bin?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
That should be commented in the ADX (or is it XDF? I can't remember...) file.

IIRC, you can do a search in TP. So search for "spark" and it should come up. Then you can edit the file and highlight that location or even move it up/down in the list of stuff on the left hand side. I add "******" to the important stuff that I'm looking at often.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

shimniok wrote:Incorrectly set up AIR pump can throw off o2 reading
To my knowledge, the air pump shown not even be hooked up to the manifold when running EFI. Catalyst only if the cat requires it to run.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Thanks guys. No AIR pump or other smug gear on this engine (I'll keep it in mind for the GW) just a cat.

I have my timing set at about 5* (258) but the folks I got the kit from couldn't give me an exact # what they had theirs set to. As soon as I get the timing matched to what it is in the bin and get the idle down I'll do some more digging.

I'm using adx files from the gearhead site for the 7747. Do they have to correspond to the bin or the ecm? Might explain the wacky #'s

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I don't have my PC here with me but it should say which xdf and adx files were used at the top of my screen shots, unless I chopped it off.

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Yup they are in screenshot. Xdf and adx look recent. They have to correspond to the bin. The def files basically map out where variables and tuning tables and params are located in the machine language bin. And also translates from internal machine representation to something human readable.

Weird that they don't know what their own bin is set to?!

If I get a minute I will like around in tunerpro again and see what I can learn about inj%.

It'd help if you could post your bin and log file to peek at. You can find some good (also friendly ;)) help on gearheadefi forum from eaglemark and others. A few of us here are over there. But hey let's see what we can figure out here...

Since it doesn't smell crazy rich, maybe it isn't terribly wonky. I will disbelieve the 600% inj duty cycle for now. :)

I'd look into the error code first.

If o2 readings bounce around in the vicinity of stoich over time that is good.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ

babywag

Post by babywag »

#1…set timing to what's in the .bin does this system have timing control?

#2 Did you adjust the TB min. air/throttle set screw & tps? You need to do this.
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Thanks guys. Gonna try and data log again. Been reading every tutorial and watching every video I can find. Starting to make a lot of sense now.
Did notice when I was in the bin that the idle is set at 600, so I have to back that down at the TB.
Something is wrong if it's idling that high. If the idle speed in the .bin is 600rpm that is what the idle speed should be.
You don't adjust the throttle body set screw for idle speed.
Data is great, but the system has to be adjusted properly, and working for the data to be useful.

Most frequent culprit is a vacuum leak(s) @ intake manifold/adapter/throttle body.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Thanks guys. I'll post the BIN when I get home and a better log file.

I checked for vacuum leaks(carb cleaner spray/idle speed) and I do have a leak at the #1 runner but not at the tbi.

Haven't set the set screws and tips yet. Car has been on the backburner since I got the tbi running. Bought a new car so no longer the DD.

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

datalog isn't useful yet.

fix your vacuum leak
then do throttle body adjustments for min. air & tps.

system needs to be working properly first.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Checked, checked and rechecked for vacuum leaks and figured out the problem. The #1 runner was not leaking afterall on a hunch I unplugged the PCV vacuum and the idle will no longer surge with carb cleaner when sprayed anywhere....The culprit appears to be a leaky valve cover gasket, PCV valve at front of valve cover. Literally just came back from the shop from having the gasket redone before the TBI went on. :roll:

Looking thru the BIN file from my chip at the scalars tab it shows an initial SA of 81.91 degrees. Is that really almost 82* or is that decimal off?

I'll post the BIN in a little while after I figure out how to post it.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

No way it 81.91

Did you verify the .bin file vs. the original as being the same?
There is a compare feature in Tunerpro.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'll take a look. Just to be double sure I'll download it again and check, already got the chip back in the ECM
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

Does this system have timing control? Or, is it fuel only?
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

babywag

Post by babywag »

You should be able to verify the .bin file in TunerPro with chip installed?
@ least I can with my Ostrich, no idea on AutoProm...
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Whoops, sorry, yes it does have timing control.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

FSJN will not let me upload the BIN. How can I host it online rather than direct email?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Stick it on dropbox or google docs or one drive? Or try uploading as a zip?

XDF has the definitions. You want "SA - Initial SA" (at address 0x09). You can verify the address by right-clicking the variable in the left-side list and selecting "Edit parameter XDF info" and it'll show you the hex address in memory where the variable is stored.

Since it's physically impossible to have an 81* advance on an I6 distributor (maximum is 360 deg / 6 = 60 deg), I suspect something is wonky with the bin vs. XDF. When you post the bin we can double-check some of that stuff.

"Spark advance in data stream" is the hack thingy that would let you see advance instead of O2 cross counts. "To datalog Spark Advance to data stream change 00BA to 0067. You must also use associated ADX file to veiw Spark Advance: $42-1227747-V4.adx or higher"

babywag

Post by babywag »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:FSJN will not let me upload the BIN. How can I host it online rather than direct email?
Just rename the file as .txt vs .bin
AKDX-$42-4.3-Auto.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Just got off the phone with the vendor and he seems to think my issues are fuel pressure related. I'm gonna check that just to be sure.

He also couldn't' tell me what timing to use and he seemed to be pretty clueless when asked about the bin files and data logging. He did tell me I have 4.3 injectors though.

One other thing he suggested is moving the line that goes to the MAP sensor from the intake manifold to the port on the rear of the TBI between the fuel lines. Gonna try it, what the heck.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW