FI help for a newb

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
MadMax78

FI help for a newb

Post by MadMax78 »

Ok. I am tired of stalling/dying when off-roading due to a fuel starved carb. Can someone tell me the best and cheapest way to go for FI on a 360? Like that is an option; cheap, FI and Jeep. :roll: I want to install FI but have no clue at all about it. I also want a better replacement fan shroud. Thumb still hurts. :shock:
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: FI help for a newb

Post by Stuka »

EFI is the best end game, but there is probably a lot you can do to make your carb work better as well. What model is it? Is it in good working condition, have you tried dropping the floats a bit?

Plenty of things you can do in the short term while you get together all the parts for a TBI swap.

Or you could contact Bill usn-1 on these forums. He builds and sells complete kits, and will then work with you to get it tuned right.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Thanks Stuka. I will check with Bill. I know I have an Edlebrock carb and intake. Not sure on the model. I'm just tired of the non-reliability of a carb when off-roading. My ultimate goal is to install a modern drivetrain but that will be awhile. If I don't get the rust repaired I wont have a Jeep to play with. I'm so ready to have it as my daily driver. Just Empty Every Pocket is an understatement. :shock:
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

It's kind of a time versus money sort of tradeoff. If you go GM TBI, then cheap means a long time and big learning curve. You have to pay to make it easier (by getting more of a turnkey solution and getting an expensive EPROM emulator). There are other options. Maybe a simple cheap way to go is a non-feedback Holley Pro-Jection. I only know one guy who had it and wasn't too impressed but I would imagine it'd solve the off-road problem.

On the other hand, the best carb I had off-road was the Motorcraft 2150. It loaded up a bit on very steep uphill, but otherwise was flawless. The worst was the Edelbrock; practically unusable off-road. The Qjet was quite good off road except some loading up downhill. Great on road. You might want to go that route instead of tackling something as involved as EFI.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Does it have the offroad needle and seat already? If not, that is usually the biggest help.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

the very best offroad carb is the Holley Truck Avenger. I 'wheeled one for years in my J10 truggy before going to junkyard TBI. I'm talking about some pretty serious 'wheeling too. Not just a little mudding, but extreme rock crawling on some extreme angles. The Holley TA will work at any angle that a J truck can handle without rolling over. Even flopped on it's side, a Holley TA will run (provided you have a good fuel system).

But in the end, I switched over to a junkyard GM TBI and never looked back. I will never, ever (EVER) run another carb on a 'wheeler. I simply feel bad for those who do (even the Holley TA guys).

As previously mentioned, converting over to junkyard TBI has a very high learning curve that anyone with time, patience and the ability to learn new things can do. You must also understand engines (I've found that many people simply don't).

I recommend you read over a few of the threads in this section and then make a decision.

Don't forget that winter is coming and a carb simply isn't gonna have the cold-starting ability that TBI does. (unless of course you are some kind of 'carb whisperer'). I can let my J10 crawler sit for weeks at a time and know for a FACT that it will start right up and run perfect, no matter the temp. Even sub zero stuff.

TBI!!! :fsj:

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I forgot all about this post.

Carnuck, How would I tell if it had the off road needle and seat? As far as I know it is stock. Man I wish Santa would bring me FI for Christmas. :shock: What would be the best carb mod for now to help with off road use? I do some mud riding (kids and wife) :roll: and some hill climbs. With all of the bouncing I can't keep it running. Would the TA be better than a different needle and seat for the edelbrock?
MadMax78

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Needle and seat are cheaper (about $20 and an hour to put in)

lobie

Post by lobie »

MadMax78 wrote:Man I wish Santa would bring me FI for Christmas.
If you are really interested in FI I would suggest you do some reading on Binder Planet. There is a lot of good info there.
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/foru ... 85947&f=75
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Thanks lobie. ill check it out
MadMax78

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Do you have more time or money? You did mention cheap, but everyone's definition of cheap is different.

If you have more time than money, get reading. Good starting information at binder planet and if you want to get nitty gritty and do some really awesome stuff with it, read up at gearhead-efi.com.

Perusing www.moates.net will give you an idea of what you're getting into with programming and stuff.

If you are short on time, buy a turnkey system from Howell or AFI. No programming or data logging required. Bolt it on (muffler shop can weld in the O2 sensor for you) and drive.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

All systems using a GM ECM are "turn key" since the ECM has an O2 for closed loop feedback and the ability to correct and store the corrections.

So yes, my systems are turn key. But I go one step further then the other companies and actually provide my customers with a data logging cable and software to ensure I provide a custom tune specific to the customers engine and location.
This allows the system the ability to fully adjust to any condition or altitude the customer may drive.
The GM system normally can adjust about 10%. So those other "turn key" systems may already be at their limit once the system makes the adjustment.
Now drive it up in altitude and you will exceed adjustment limit of the system. It would be no better than having a carb that needs rejetting.

So, by providing the option for a full custom tune for each customer ensures their system will operate anywhere they want to take it.

If anyone doesn't really understand the way the EFI system operates, simply ask. I'll be happy to help.
I know, I know, you read it on the internet so it must be true. Sure it is!

Just do a search and see how many of their customers ask for tuning help on the Binderplanet or any other tuning site you want to search.
Sure they're turn key.

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Wow! I cant keep up with the posts I make. I forgot about this one as well. I need an assistant just to keep up with them all. Is there an easy way to keep up with my posts? Well, we went riding again today and stalled all over the place again, For The Last Time! Bill im contacting you tonight for a kit for my Jeep. :-bd
MadMax78

lobie

Post by lobie »

MadMax78 wrote: Is there an easy way to keep up with my posts?
Very bottom left of each thread you can subscribe to the post.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

You can also go into your user settings and make it so you automatically are subscribed when you post. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

FI is here! :D Cant wait to get this installed. I feel like I will be sick on Monday. I just know I wont feel well tomorrow night. :evil: More than likely I wont be able to touch it for a week or more. It's just not fair. :x I want to play with my toys! I don't want to be an adult! :D Sorry guys, couldn't resist.
MadMax78

Post by 243 »

What did you get, one of Bill's systems?
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I did. Pretty straight forward install from what I have read so far. I have to replace the hood first now so I can install it though. It flew up while driving the other night. :banghead:
MadMax78

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey guys,

I'm going to TBI my GW and I'm planning to use Megasquirt to do it. (my buddy is going to sell me his for pretty cheap) I would like to use new parts for the TBI setup and was wondering: Is Bill, at Binder Planet, the best place to get the hardware or are there other suggested options?

Also, here's the hardware list I was looking at:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... p?t=102989

Do you guys think I'll need anything that's not on that list?
Thanks for your input,
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I don't know if Bill does the Megasquirt (never asked when we talked) but he knows that TBI setup better than pretty much anyone on IH motors and 401s.