Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.
firedog
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby firedog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Hey gang!

Got myself into a 1990 grand waggy with the AMC 360. Recently put on a Howell TBI system on it...but I'm wondering what guys have found as the best solution for the throttle and kick down cable attachments to the TBI unit?

I know I'm not the first to visit this problem...so I'm hoping some guys with some good info can point me to what seems to work out best...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

User avatar
tgreese
Posts: 2571
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am
Location: Medford MA USA

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby tgreese » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 pm

firedog wrote:Hey gang!

Got myself into a 1990 grand waggy with the AMC 360. Recently put on a Howell TBI system on it...but I'm wondering what guys have found as the best solution for the throttle and kick down cable attachments to the TBI unit?

I know I'm not the first to visit this problem...so I'm hoping some guys with some good info can point me to what seems to work out best...

Thanks in advance!

Mike


Howell is supposed to be a turn-key conversion. They did not tell you how to connect the cables to the TB?

Looking at their posted directions, they claim that the throttle cable should clip on to one of the existing studs.

Pics of what you have now?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D

firedog
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby firedog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm

tgreese wrote:
firedog wrote:Hey gang!

Got myself into a 1990 grand waggy with the AMC 360. Recently put on a Howell TBI system on it...but I'm wondering what guys have found as the best solution for the throttle and kick down cable attachments to the TBI unit?

I know I'm not the first to visit this problem...so I'm hoping some guys with some good info can point me to what seems to work out best...

Thanks in advance!

Mike


Howell is supposed to be a turn-key conversion. They did not tell you how to connect the cables to the TB?

Looking at their posted directions, they claim that the throttle cable should clip on to one of the existing studs.

Pics of what you have now?


No -- it is NOT plug and play. Basically, after talking with BJ's off-road and Howell...I'm kinda on my own to figure it out. There is no parts or conversion..and when I called and talked to both, they both kinda pointed fingers and each other to talk to. So, I'm kinda stuck figuring out what works best and customizing it myself, or finding some golden nuggets of knowledge in your guys' brains.

Here are a few pics of the TBI unit hookups. It's basically a 1990 K series Chevy truck TBI for all intents and purposes. Excuse the wire...that was so I could move it out of the shop. :) but you get a feel fro what all the posts look like and what I'm trying to accomplish. I've done a conversion like this on my own on my YJ, and used Lokar cables...but the kick down is significantly different for this GM 727 tranny and such.

I can't be the first to have done this, so I'm wondering what other guys have done that they have found works well. At this point, I'm thinking about a Lokar throttle cable and having to custom fab up the kick down cable somehow...??

Here are some pics...
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
tgreese
Posts: 2571
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am
Location: Medford MA USA

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby tgreese » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

If you end up fixing it, you can buy a ball stud that will fit your throttle cable from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... ever-studs Measure the ball diameter on your carburetor and get a stud that has the same diameter. Then grind off / drill through the throttle arm on the TB and install the ball stud. You want to duplicate the lever-arm length of your factory carb on the TB.

Then I guess you'll have to do the bolt thing with the kick-down. It's lame that they don't help you more with this. Did you buy the kit with the CARB number? Looks like that's their only competitive advantage...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D

firedog
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby firedog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:06 pm

tgreese wrote:Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

If you end up fixing it, you can buy a ball stud that will fit your throttle cable from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... ever-studs Measure the ball diameter on your carburetor and get a stud that has the same diameter. Then grind off / drill through the throttle arm on the TB and install the ball stud. You want to duplicate the lever-arm length of your factory carb on the TB.

Then I guess you'll have to do the bolt thing with the kick-down. It's lame that they don't help you more with this. Did you buy the kit with the CARB number? Looks like that's their only competitive advantage...


I talked to them directly, told them what I have and was looking for. They customer the kit (wiring harness wise) for my rig. I have to imagine the TBI units they use are "stock" between all their kits for the same style? That's just an assumption on my part I guess

I'm emailing Howell and see if I get anywhere...called them earlier..hopefully I can get this figured out...

User avatar
tgreese
Posts: 2571
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am
Location: Medford MA USA

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby tgreese » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:46 pm

firedog wrote:
tgreese wrote:Tony pretty much has it covered in his reply on the mother ship. I agree that you should get in touch with Howell and ask for the proper throttle arm config.

If you end up fixing it, you can buy a ball stud that will fit your throttle cable from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... ever-studs Measure the ball diameter on your carburetor and get a stud that has the same diameter. Then grind off / drill through the throttle arm on the TB and install the ball stud. You want to duplicate the lever-arm length of your factory carb on the TB.

Then I guess you'll have to do the bolt thing with the kick-down. It's lame that they don't help you more with this. Did you buy the kit with the CARB number? Looks like that's their only competitive advantage...


I talked to them directly, told them what I have and was looking for. They customer the kit (wiring harness wise) for my rig. I have to imagine the TBI units they use are "stock" between all their kits for the same style? That's just an assumption on my part I guess

I'm emailing Howell and see if I get anywhere...called them earlier..hopefully I can get this figured out...


I'd gues that they put the kits together with what throttle bodies thay can get ... the car yours came from likely has a throttle cable with a hole/loop in the end, and a clip that holds it to the post. Who knows how many different TB styles there are ...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D

Blake
Moderator
Posts: 3063
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 am
Location: Off the grid on Storm Mountain Colorado
Contact:

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby Blake » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

IIRC a stock junkyard chevy TBI has the correct clips on it to connect to a stock kickdown cable.

go down to any junkyard and look at pretty much any late 80's - early 90's chevy with TBI and grab the correct throttle parts.

This is from memory from about 3 years ago when I did my '88 GW.

User avatar
jaber
Vendor
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: Chino Valley, Az.

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby jaber » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:24 am

I ground off the back side of the stud on the linkage and pulled it out. Went to the McParts house and got a ball stud and put it into the hole. The kick down is just a bolt and has worked for 10+ years... ;)

Image
Jeff

'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 p/u
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby FSJ Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:59 pm

Odd that the throttle body didn't have the correct studs. Mine did when I installed mine way back in 2002.

X2 on contacting Howell.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

1987 Grand Wagoneer. Slightly longer than stock.

MateoFSJ
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 am
Location: Salt Lake

Re: Howell TBI on 360 and throttle / kick down cables

Postby MateoFSJ » Sun May 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Did either of you hear back from Howell? My Acceleration cable broke and the OEM replacement from Napa isnt fitting either.


Return to “FSJ Fuel Injection Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests