Custom headlight relay harness:

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Custom headlight relay harness:

Post by serehill »

Actually being lazy here. For the ones familair with this product from IFSJA.

If you have gone to the IFSJA Homegrown section & seen the thread & feed back please do.
Custom built headlight harnesses with over 450 sold.

After a few conversations it has come to my attention a need for a wiring upgrade to the headlight systems to Halogen or quad lamps. I have ordered some parts & will be building these.
The reason I am venturing into this is because in the last few months I have seen these links for headlight wiring upgrades, they are not all inclusive & do not releive the entire system of load.They're simply are a bandaid on a bullet wound. Any mod that does not remove the dimmer switch from the load is not a cure. I saw one mod the other day that the author called simple that was anything but. It was clear it would have taken hours & you would have to have some pretty good knowledge of circuits & relay function. It still left the dimmer switch in the load.
Also the system is not reversible if something were to go wrong. Mine Is.

New system:
The system design does not require any modification cutting or removing of the existing system. The cost would be 55 bucks shipped to your door anywhere's in the United states. There are some available mods that may add a little price. They are optional.
The system is based off of the new HID type bypass & simply allows the old electrical system to become controllers of the system but not carry any of the headlight amperage load. The old system will simply control the new relays & the relays will manage all current.
Installation:
This system is installed by removing your headlights & installing a harness across the front inside the header panel & then connecting the harness. The positive & negative are simple connect to your battery & any ground connection. This mod also utilizes porcelain socket for the bulbs instead of bakelight. The harness will pick up power & run it straight to the headlamps.
It will be cheaper & simpler than the links which have you tracing & cutting up all kinds of old wiring.

Install would be:
Remove the headlights & unplug old wiring.
Install new harness by threading the left side controller & socket from the right headlight location to the left headlight socket.
Take the fused wires & run them through the header panel to the starter relay. Connect the fused wire to the solenoid battery side.
Connect the ground to any ground source. The process will be to use a self tapping screw & mount the provided lug to the header panel. Also there are already existing places there for other grounds for parking & side markers & headlights. You can mount the grounds to these places or create a new spot witha self tapping screw.

Go to the right side & connect the black wire from the socket to any ground as described above. Then plug the new supplied socket to the headlamp & re-assemble.
You can tape up the old socket but it will not be used on the right side.

The Left is a little different because you will have to mount the relay (easy)
Also on the left there is a male plug that simply plugs into the original headlight plug & tape together. (pictured later) Then connect the black ground wire to ground same as right side. Then connect the new (yellow) socket to the bulb.
Run the wire with the fuse on it to the solenoid & connect it to the battery side of the solenoid. Mount the fuse hoder optional But receommended.
Mount the headlight back & your done.
The wiring will be marked right & left sockets.

I have ordered the parts to build another 30 of these. The first one built that was not for me was for a buddies cj & it worked perfectly. He was having problems with his dimmer & wiring burning up. This has fixed that issue. He had 4 Kc daylighter connected to his.
I'm simply gauging interest for this since all of the mods I've seen are complicated & really intrusive.
you should be able to do this in an hour. I would allow 2.

Why the harness.
1.Bypass old wiring with the heavy loads.
2. Provide a better wiring system to upgrade your lamps to halogen.
3. Improve the voltage to your light to make them brighter.
4. I saw one Forum member that says his caught on fire & burned his rig &
wiring pretty bad.
5. Low impact this can be unwired & put back to stock should someone
should want to. Really there is not impact to your exsting system
6. No wiring mess under the hood or under dash. The only part you see will be the red/fuse & black wire by the battery.
Options:
This system could be easily modified to run a quad light system it you were to put headlight in the pie plate orifices. I would have to know that & modiy the system.
2 spare relays 10.00 bucks

I can tell you there's lots of copies on the market & I've tried them & it why I built mine the Chinese ones burned up in no time they are not soldered together & the wiring is half the size I use. This custom system is built of the best wire relays & terminal available. Buying several of them is why I decided to build mine it was a good idea but the would burn up. then I decided to customize them & the rock. I'll be here & will guarantee the to be perfect. Customize them for anything you want.
Last edited by serehill on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

GO OVRIT

Re: Custon relay harness: Redundant Heavy Duty built to spec

Post by GO OVRIT »

Ive been meaning to do this for awhile on my 92 Dodge. I'd also like to do my GW. Any chance you've done a harness to allow the factory fog lights to run off the factory switch with the parking lights on low beams off, and still cut off with the high beams on? I'm assuming it would involve some type of a diod?
87 GW
2 75 J-10s waiting for tlc
79 Chief on life support
80 Chief soon to have a 401

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Re: Custon relay harness: Redundant Heavy Duty built to spec

Post by serehill »

Yep I've built them like that there are an unlimited amount of ways to build these. Let me know what you want it to do is the only thing you need to do. Email me I'll send you my P/N serehil@aol.com

Some assembly required Diodes not needed. LOL

I've built these for 40's & 50's cars & truck also.

I have built over 240 of these in 13 different configurations.

Sure without a doubt there are cheaper & even more expensive models most of the cheaper ones have one relay that fails & you lose all lights mine has 2 & will still work if one fails the other beam will still work. I decided to build these after one failed on me. Most cheaper ones do not have replacable parts or they can't be found they are throw aways. Mine are servicable with any parts available at any parts store. Mine is completely plug & play. You do not cut the factory wiring & have to trace circuits.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Gumby

Re: Custom headlight relay harness:

Post by Gumby »

You have mail or pm.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Finally got mine installed. Super simple and works great. Helps take the load off of all those old fried wires in my waggy!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Gumby wrote:You have mail or pm.

PM sent Thanks

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

surfwagoneer wrote:Finally got mine installed. Super simple and works great. Helps take the load off of all those old fried wires in my waggy!

surfwagoneer, Thanks it's really what I build them for it really is cool it improved & will prolong the electrical system.

Same success stories over & over on IFSJA yeah it's still alive.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Well got mine in the mail today and hoping to get it installed over the weekend. Thanks for the speedy service serehill.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Well I installed the new harness this morning and it looks great. I did not have a chance to much more than turn it on to check out the light. I will try to do more tonight. I guess that with the upgrade that I requested I mounted the relays just in front of the battery. I thought it would make it easier to replace them without having to remove the lamp and also for the upgrade down the road.

This was easier than actually doing the H4 upgrade. One more satisfied customer! Thank you once again sir.

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Gumby wrote:Well I installed the new harness this morning and it looks great. I did not have a chance to much more than turn it on to check out the light. I will try to do more tonight. I guess that with the upgrade that I requested I mounted the relays just in front of the battery. I thought it would make it easier to replace them without having to remove the lamp and also for the upgrade down the road.

This was easier than actually doing the H4 upgrade. One more satisfied customer! Thank you once again sir.

Thanks Gumby,
You can indeed mount the sytem inside the engine bay or outside the engine bay. Doubtful you'll ever have to replace one but if you do it's not hard to do in either position you shouldn't have to replace them. I tried to make then versatile.
The intent of putting them befind the grille asttics for the Guys that are NOS or want a clean engincomparment. The system is so tuff you'll not be working on it.
I can add a cutom auxillery light easy.

Thanks Again Martin & you got my number.
Last edited by serehill on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I have to give an update on my install....

What a difference it makes :shock: . I also now can run my stock fog lights while using the high beams :-bd . I am happy I got the harness I had no idea that these bulbs generate so much heat, the porcelain harness may be a life saver. I may go to a more reputable bulb manufacturer sooner than later ( peace of mind).

I can't say enough about your improvement.

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Thanks Martin,
I really put the best I could find into them. Glad they did what you wanted the fog light upgrade rocks. A little secret you can remove the power wire from the switch & run the ignition wire over to it. Then when you turn off the key the lights will go out. Just a thought. I have all 6 lights / 3 switches on mine like that.
Last edited by serehill on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

twikel

Post by twikel »

PM Sent.
--------------------
Todd Wikel
Plano, TX
--------------------
'83 Cherokee Chief S (W/T)

twikel

Post by twikel »

Resend PM. Think I sent an email before. Are you still making these?
--------------------
Todd Wikel
Plano, TX
--------------------
'83 Cherokee Chief S (W/T)

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Serehill I want one what info is needed?
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Wewillsurvive PM sent GET R dun.

:fsj: :-bd

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

loche451

Post by loche451 »

Sent an email to you- I need to do the upgrade

loche451

Post by loche451 »

Ok- highly recommended. I was able to send serehill my HID light system directly from amazon. He looked it over, improved the wiring and built the improved harness and shipped it back to me within 1-2 days. It was a piece of cake to install (didnt even really need instructions as there is really only one way to go about it) and it worked flawlessly. If you are thinking about doing the improved harness and/or HID lighting this is definitely the way to go. My waggy lights up like a newer BMW right now rather than having me basically blind on a drizzly freeway with little to no ambient light to help the halogens. It was a distinct and huge improvement and it cost me a total of maybe $130 between the diamond cut lamps, HID and this wiring harness.

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Not a problem I was glad to do it the Chinese single harnesses are junk. I did mine the same weekend wit 4 relays. New HIDs
new 9" amber HID fog lights. :shock: New 150 watt floods & a complete set of ground lights they are awesome. If you like ground lights or want some under hood light or some bright dome lights these are awesome.
http://www.under-glow.com/#-

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

BostonWag

Post by BostonWag »

Serehill, I'm in the market for both headlight and tailgate harnesses ('88 GW). I tried to PM, but it's just sitting in my outbox. (Perhaps I haven't posted enough to earn the ability to PM....)

Maybe it will work if you PM me; just let me know what info I need to provide.

Thank you!