Bodie Trip October 25

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
Renodemona

Bodie Trip October 25

Post by Renodemona »

Greetings FSJ-ers!
How does a fall run to the ghost town of Bodie sound?
October 25, Sunday, for lunch in Bridgeport and then an afternoon at the old mining town of Bodie. For those that have never been, Bodie was a booming mining town from around 1875-1890 and declined from there. Much of the town burned down in the 1930s but what remained was abandoned and still remains as part of the park system. VERY cool place to walk around and check out. There are also a couple little trails to hit if people want to.

Tentative schedule:
1100 Lunch at the Jolly Kone in Bridgeport (family style burgers, garlic fries, ice cream, floats, etc) http://jollykone.com/
1200 head out to Bodie
1230ish-whenever Explore the town
3-4 head for home!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Dr. Marneaus

Re: Bodie Trip October 25

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Given the status of my tires I don't think it would be wise to drive the jeep that far even though i just recently made this exact trip :-(

I could potentially make it in my pickemup truck (just got a new set of almost 32's) but I dont know if that would make whatever trails you intend to run. But who knows, maybe i'll hit the jackpot at a slot machine and have new tires by then lol.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Oh yeah you'd be fine. It's just the little up and over by the old cemetery to get to an overlook.

rainman

Post by rainman »

So we're not going to run the back trail into Bodie?

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/backway ... n-4x4-road
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I'm down for that. Could a stock Wagoneer make that? Never taken that trail in.

miltos68wgoneer

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

Sounds good. Better fix my fuel leak.my nephew was named after that place and have been wanting to take the kids.just looked at the map and see it is quite the haul.ill just cross the old fingers.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Renodemona wrote:I'm down for that. Could a stock Wagoneer make that? Never taken that trail in.
I took a stock 2WD 68 Dodge long bed pickup through the back way in the late 80s without scraping or scratching anything underneath. I recall a few areas where washout ruts and rocky sections required some finesse but nothing that would keep a stock Wagoneer from making it.
Of course, things may have changed since then.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

miltos68wgoneer

Well I am trying to turn this into a camping trip. This is the only way I can do it with the kids. 4.5hrs there and 4.5hrs back. Then there is the time on the trail. thats a recipe screaming children and wife. Any suggestions? Seems that the campgrounds up there close late September to early October.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I was thinking the same thing Milt. If I can go, it's going to be an over-nighter. There are many places to park and dry camp up there where you won't get hassled by the Man providing you Tread Lightly etc.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Camping spots galore in the area, just tread lightly and you should be fine. Buddy of mine from work camps there several times a year. Worst case is you head back down just north of Bridgeport to one of those little roadside areas.

miltos68wgoneer

I am calling the camp ground tomorrow to see if they close or just stop taking reservations. If not it is going to be a back country sleep out.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

We are in. We are planning on an overnight trip as well. We will be going over Tioga Pass as that is closest and easiest for us. Unless there is an early snow and they close the gate. We are going to June Lake plenty of sites, piped water good bathrooms, lower elevation then the stuff to the north and open till November. Also the town of June Lake great place as long as you are not from LA. Good food no camp cooking if you choose. 39 miles from Bridgeport and 45 from downtown Bodie if you are staying
Sunday night. We have to go home after run, the mean woman has to work Monday. Haven't decided if we will tent it for quick travel or pull the trailer up.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

June lake is a great place to camp and less than an hour away from Bodie.

i don't think I will make it a camping trip but will likely try to tag along in the dodge as long as you guys promise not to laugh at me!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Dodge should do fine. I've done a good portion of this area in a dodge Aspen station wagon. Besides there are fewer trees so you won't have to work your way around like I did last month
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Cheap Hobby wrote:Dodge should do fine. I've done a good portion of this area in a dodge Aspen station wagon. Besides there are fewer trees so you won't have to work your way around like I did last month

Sweet, it's 4x4, lifted about an inch and on some (almost) 32" all terrains.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

And just to make things fun I will be in Palm Springs Tue through Fri for conference, fly home Fri night then take off for Bodie Saturday. Good thing we know where we are going no maps no nagagation needed.

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

No trees? But how will I do some roof-rack logging?

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Renodemona wrote:No trees? But how will I do some roof-rack logging?
you set that branch to moving alright.

miltos68wgoneer

June lake it is then. Thanks for the recommendation. I just wish the trip was sooner because so much can break in a month.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

We are planning to stay at the June Lake Campground. It is on the south end of the lake next to marina and town. Very quite and very short walk to town if so inclined. Fall back will be OH Ridge the beach Campground. These are hughr campgrounds so not our favorites. Well get in after noon. This not a rush to get there trip