Engine Machine Shop near Tacoma, WA

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
peterlombardi

Engine Machine Shop near Tacoma, WA

Post by peterlombardi »

Hey there,

I just picked up a 401 this weekend and I'm in search of a good AMC friendly machine shop in the Tacoma area, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

The block is .020 over, 4.186 on my calipers, so I want to get it take up to .030 for easier piston selection (thinking Wiseco -27cc 4.195 forged). I'm not sure if it's decked, need to measure that. I'd also like to get some mild porting/polishing done to the heads w/ gasket matching for the intake/exhaust. I know it's contested but I'd like to get the oil lifter valley mod installed as well. Also hoping to get some crank/rod work done, polishing, balancing, etc.

This is my first post, so a little about the build. It's an '86 Grand Wagoneer with the tow package and 360. I'm swapping grills and going with a Cheese Grater grill, also swapping markers and hoping to find a set of good three piece bumpers. I was going to do a mild re-build on the 360, but this 401 was too good of a deal to pass up. Eventually it'll get a lift from BJ's and a ton more, but I don't want to get too off topic, haha.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.
-peter

REDONE

Re: Engine Machine Shop near Tacoma, WA

Post by REDONE »

Welcome to the madness Peter!

Unfortunately I lived quite a bit north of you, and that was still three years ago anyways. I Had all my machine work done by the Everett CARQUEST(Hwy 9 and Broadway) and Jay's Automotive Machine shop (Hwy 99 and 112th). Hopefully someone who lived on the south end will chime in with something a little more local to you!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

Thanks Redone! Fingers crossed :) Appreciate it, it gets me started at least.

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I had my 390 cobra jet heads redone by heads up in Auburn years ago. Excellent work
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

Thanks Cassidy, they seem to have a great reputation. I'll definitely look into them.

Also landed me on Auburn Auto Machine, raving reviews online about them as well, seems they're pretty much only word of mouth. Probably will get in touch with them about the block and crank.
http://www.auburnautomachine.com

Thanks again guys!

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'd ask on http://amcforum.com

I still take my motors up to Evans Machine shop in Abbotsford, BC, Canada except for balancing.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

Haha, I like your sig carnuk, thank you, if Auburn Auto Machine doesn't work out I'll do that.

I emailed AAM yesterday and got a reply last night at almost midnight haha. I asked if they'd install the oil mod and work on the 401, they said of course they would and we setup a call to chat on monday. I'll post back about how everything goes.

orange

Post by orange »

I just picked up a 360 to rebuild while still running my current 360 .I have a 79 Cherokee Chief I live in Covington ,Wa . So,I'm interested in your luck with the machine shop. Please keep posting

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

Will do Orange, talked to Mike (the owner since the early 2000's, employee/trainee since he was 17 in 1986) at AAM (Auburn Auto Machine) yesterday and he seems like a great guy and pretty familiar with AMC's. Quoted me all the prices and talked about every step for over half an hour on the phone. I'm probably going to take the block, crank and pistons in sometime in the next couple weeks, start the ball rolling.

orange

Post by orange »

I will bring mine there also...It's close. Probably end of next week .. I will tell him you referred them ..
Thanks .

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

You'll probably beat me to it haha, funds ran low this month, time sell some collected parts, performer or Offy dual plane anyone? haha

Let me know how it goes and thanks for the referral :)

orange

Post by orange »

I saw your intakes on craigslist .I'm definitely looking since I have a Predator carb to put on my FSJ .
Just a little high priced for me right now (for used intakes)
Got a feeling we are going to cross paths during our projects

landbruiser

Post by landbruiser »

Call buds machine shop in Lakewood. Bud does great work at an affordable price and has a great warranty! We use him all the time through my shop and he great!
1977 Wagoneer, SOA, 35's, 360, auto. Its my new family wheeler.

Topic author
peterlombardi

Post by peterlombardi »

I'd wondered about Bud's bruiser :) His shop is pretty darn close. Thank you for the recommendation.

landbruiser

Post by landbruiser »

He has done quite a few motors for my shop! Great guy to work with!
1977 Wagoneer, SOA, 35's, 360, auto. Its my new family wheeler.