Bodie, CA Trip

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Bodie, CA Trip

Post by Stuka »

So, figured I would throw this out there in case anybody else was interested.

My Wife and I have been wanting to make a trip to Bodie, as it has been years since we have been there. In case you are not familiar, it is an awesome ghost town just north of Mono Lake. However we are wanting to go in the BACK way. Which is a trail that goes over the mountains to the north of it. It starts at Bridgeport, and is roughly 15 miles long. To my knowledge it is mostly just a dirt road with some wash outs. Any high clearance 4wd can make it (providing there is no snow, which is not an issue this year).

We were then going to spend the night at Mono Lake, and then head home through Yosemite on the next day.

It does crest over 9200ft in elevation. There are also several abandoned mines that you can stop and check out on the way.

Due to the elevation, if you want to drive something that is more reliable 4x4 than your FSJ, thats fine. We will be in our JK. Going over Sonora Pass in my J10 is not something I want to attempt. For anybody that has been over Sonora Pass, I am sure you understand why. For those of you coming from other locations, you don't have to go over Sonora Pass. I just do not trust my truck making that drive.

We have no dates at this time set, just something we are tossing around right now. Figured I would see if anybody else is interested.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Bodie, CA Trip

Post by Stuka »

Found some cool winter photos of some guys that did this trip. They also went to some places in Nevada: http://www.overlandhub.com/forum/showth ... -2-19-2012
2017 JKU Rubicon

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

That's a great trip. The road isn't bad unless its wet. Stock JK-U handled it without trouble. Depending on the date, I might bring the Cherokee down.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Sounds like fun. Haven't been to Bodie in 18 years. Guess I should get the Chero back together
Sonora pass isn't bad as long as you do not meet an Eldorado going west as you are going east and meet at the crest .
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I will be up in June Lake for Labor Day weekend, fishing there, virginia lakes, and a few others as well.I will be passing Bodie on the way in and also on the way home....I was actually contemplating taking the wag to June and seeing if it could make the climb to 11k and get to Virginia Lakes :shock: .

On the way home to Reno on Monday (labor day) we would be passing through Bridgeport as its on the 395...likely late morning/mid day.

Regardless of if that date coincides with anything, I'd certainly entertain making this trail run at another date for sure!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sunday I will be most likely doing a big pig roast (we do one every year). Not sure what we are doing Saturday, but we may be able to make the trip over there.

There will be less people on another non-holiday weekend.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

True, I'm not tied to labor day weekend, just saying I'll be in the area already. It's not a big deal however we plan it. Its only about a 2 hour drive from Reno. Again thats a 2 hour drive in a normal vehicle, so, going over devils gate pass in an FSJ may slow things down a bit.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.