82 Cherokee in Rocklin

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
thumbinit

82 Cherokee in Rocklin

Post by thumbinit »

Hi All,

I recently got my first fixer and I'm psyched at all the knowledge sharing in this forum. Being a rookie, my goal was to get something I could learn from, but that was still in good running condition so I could enjoy driving it while I learn. I feel lucky to have found my Chief and for the most part, it's exactly what I'm looking for. The snag came when I was experimenting with the AC (by turning it on) and it caused a short under the dash that started a small flame-up. It wasn't catastrophic, but did put the old girl out of commission by melting the right side of the fuse box and some of the other wiring around that area. Now when I turn the key there's nothing.

If it was something mechanical I wouldn't be sweating it, but when it comes to the wiring I'm stumbling around in the dark. I'm sure I could take it to a shop and get it running again, but I'd really like learn how to do it myself. If there's anybody in the Sacramento area that would be willing to give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it! Any online help from you forum gurus would be great too!
Jeep-1.jpg
Jeep-fuse-box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82 Cherokee Chief

Tatsadasayago

Re: 82 Cherokee in Rocklin

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm just down the road in Citrus Heights and am willing to help you out.
I'll PM my contact info.

Nice looking Chief!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Welcome! There are a bunch of us the area that are more than willing to help. Also, we do FSJ runs and get togethers a few times a year.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Post by 243 »

Man I am sorry to hear about the electrical issue, but the glass is half full, your Chero' didn't turn into a car-b-que.

I bought my 78 with a spare harness due to the amp gauge creating a similar mess.

It's a good weekend job to remove and replace the bulkhead and under dash wiring and it will give you an opportunity to repair all the hack-mods from the previous 30 years.

You should find every manual and schematic you need on Tom Collins site, click the link below.

http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
thumbinit

Post by thumbinit »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I'm just down the road in Citrus Heights and am willing to help you out.
I'll PM my contact info.

Nice looking Chief!
Thanks Tatsadasayago! I'm looking forward to getting in touch with you.
82 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
thumbinit

Post by thumbinit »

Renodemona wrote:Welcome! There are a bunch of us the area that are more than willing to help. Also, we do FSJ runs and get togethers a few times a year.
Sounds good Renodemona! Once I get it running again I'd love to come out for a run.
82 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
thumbinit

Post by thumbinit »

243 wrote:Man I am sorry to hear about the electrical issue, but the glass is half full, your Chero' didn't turn into a car-b-que.

I bought my 78 with a spare harness due to the amp gauge creating a similar mess.

It's a good weekend job to remove and replace the bulkhead and under dash wiring and it will give you an opportunity to repair all the hack-mods from the previous 30 years.

You should find every manual and schematic you need on Tom Collins site, click the link below.

http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
Thanks for the link 243, I'll check it out. You're right about the glass half full. It had me pretty down for a while, but I'm seeing it for the opportunity it is, just like you're saying. It'll be a great chance to get to know it better.
82 Cherokee Chief

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey welcome to the board. I've got an uncut dash harness from an 83 wagoneer that should get it back on the road. PM me if you're interested.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.