Winter Meet suggestions Ohio River Valley Region

FSJ Related Events in the Central Time Zone

Topic author
HOOT

Winter Meet suggestions Ohio River Valley Region

Post by HOOT »

OK guys and gals, drivers of Jeeps and Jeepers who drive others.. We need suggestions for the Winter Meet. Last years was a very frigid Feb Meet at Mamouth Caves,KY. 17 degrees at night with a 30 mph constant wind. Campfire had a hard time burning it was so cold....

The last few meets have been in Eastern,KY Cave Run Lake(Oct) ; Mamouth Cave,KY(Feb) and Eastern,IN Covered Bridge area(Sept).

Got a cool spot near you. or somewhere you want to go to, that you would like to share with like minded hungry Jeepers. Retro cooks a good steak and Outrageous has supplied some kick serious butt pork/pecan in a pan thingy. No wonder he caters to rich people.Mars is handy with an axe if the tree is right or should we say cooperative...... We like to have a good time..
Wheeling these Jeeps is an option, drive what you want and be prepared to sit around a campfire, alot..

No promises on any suggestions, we just sort of agree to spot and go. So far it's been about every 4 or 5 months. Can't make it because of distance or whatever, come join us next time.

Personally I want to avoid the first 2 weeks in Feb for anything around here. Those are almost always the most brutal weeks for the Ohio River Valley. Last time was mid Feb and almost intolerable and we had cabins. The weekend before was extremely mild and nice even at night.

So lets hear them. Please at least give something to check out your choice. A link would be nice or at least a name we can Google if it is an area. Don't just say lets go to "Balanced Rock" as that could be any one of a number of places. I'd hate to show up at Natural Bridge State Park in KY and you guys be in Virginia or Tennessee.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

whsii

Re: Winter Meet suggestions Ohio River Valley Region

Post by whsii »

Mid February, we can meet in my back yard, bring your tents and I will smoke some meat. We can hopefully put together my truck!

LOLOL.

Where ever you plan to have the event in February, I hope to drive my J10.

I hopefully will be in.

Mars

Post by Mars »

That tree was a total accident.. and one must dispose of any evidence.. so.. yeah.. 8-)

As for me, I'll have my J-10 on the road around the end of October. ( if all goes well )

If we can keep within a 3 hour drive I'm good.

Where was the place with the cabins? Why not there again?

Mike
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

The cabins were cheap and we got what we paid for. I'd do them again. The big one the other guys had rented was roomy but the furniture sucked really bad. I've seen better stuff in dumpsters.
They were located on the road to Mamouth Cave state park, a few miles up from the expressway and at the major intersection for the Mamouth Cave area.
If I'm running pet free by then still I want to go see the Dino museum and other stuff down by the highway.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.

Mars

Post by Mars »

Sounds good. Was there any wheeling nearby?

1981 J-10 Laredo.

Mars

Post by Mars »

This was forwarded as a suggestion on the other board. those of you not following there here's a link to a rather nice suggestion made by Kim.
http://www.wigwamvillage.com/
Thoughts?

1981 J-10 Laredo.

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I like the thought of the WigWam trip.. It was a suggestion last year but a NO pet policy ruled it out for me that's when it was a the Rock Cabins choice.

Pets are no longer an issue at the moment but that will most likely change before Feb. IF that does change by the I can always shack up in one of the other motels right there.

That video is hillarious when she was in that tire horse swing..invasive :mrgreen:

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I like the thought of the WigWam trip.. It was a suggestion last year but a NO pet policy ruled it out for me that's when it was a the Rock Cabins choice.

Pets are no longer an issue at the moment but that will most likely change before Feb. IF that does change by the I can always shack up in one of the other motels right there.

That video is hillarious when she was in that tire horse swing..invasive :mrgreen:

Mars

Post by Mars »

okay!
So do we agree on the wigwam villiage?

How bout the when?
Personally I won't be able to do anything till early march.

1981 J-10 Laredo.

OutrageGIS

Post by OutrageGIS »

WigWams or Caeser Creek (north of cincy) both work for me. Anything after the third week of February works for me.

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

I can do a Caeser Creek.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Mars

Post by Mars »

I like both!
But leaning toward Caesar's Creek, could be fun and we can hit the flea market or the range nearby.
And we can take in all the sights of nearby Waynesville.. Should take about... 15 minutes hehe

1981 J-10 Laredo.

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Got an email today from Rock Cabins where we stayed last year right outside of Mammoth Cave Park. Second night rental is half price thru the end of Feb.

OutrageGIS

Post by OutrageGIS »

Sounds good... I will try to plan better (tough due to slow work / hard to turn down work that time of year) and make both days wherever we end up.

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

OutrageGIS wrote:Sounds good... I will try to plan better (tough due to slow work / hard to turn down work that time of year) and make both days wherever we end up.
I understand the scheduling thing. Just let me know if you can't make it physically I can always swing by to pick up the Porkloin encrusted walnut thingy and deliver it or what is left of it to the Meet. ;) ..

Bluesj

Post by Bluesj »

So has a spot been picked yet?

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Nothing set in stone? You have another suggestion or like one of the few thrown out there yet?

Topic author
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Thanks to those who showed up at John's Cabin near Morehead ,KY and lets hope you can make the next one for those who missed out. Nice fire side chats and great food.
I'd also like to apologize if anyone missed out because we moved the posting to IFSJA. It all went down so fast I forgot to post updates here.

So to make up for that here's an early tip off for the next one and/or two Meet-N-Eats..

Another Winter meet may very well go on before the end of February at the Rock Cabins in Cave City, KY.

Then come July 13th and 14th (maybe the 12th also) how about Land Between the Lakes(LBL) Down in Western KY-TN area? This date is selected because Ouray ,CO meet is the following week July 17-19th. This will allow those who are going to Ouray to leave LBL and get to CO in time. So far it looks like a 2 Jeeps convoy heading out west from LBL. Both of us live 6 hours East of LBL so anyone east that wants to convoy out get ready.

This is all I know so far... There will be Threads started for each event. So please if you have any comments, suggestions or whatever let us know.