West Virginia Roll Call!

FSJ Related Events in the Eastern Time Zone

Rod2

Re: West Virginia Roll Call!

Post by Rod2 »

WHSII, we've communicated before, but I don't remember telling you these particulars. I'm from Ansted, home of Hawks State Park, and I went through Summersville in May for the umpteenth time. This time was for my 50th graduation reunion from Glenville State.
After graduating there and teaching one year at Gauley Bridge, I came to NC for a graduate assistantship at UNC and I've been here ever since.
But I still have relatives and friends in the area, so I return fairly regularly.
In June, wife and I stayed at the Hawk Nest lodge and enjoyed Heritage Day festivities in Ansted that usually occur the weekend closest to WV statehood day (June 20).
Pigsmith, we took some NC friends on a tour of WV a few years ago (they had never been there), and blew their minds. One of the roads we toured was 150. Your video rekindled some good memories.
Do you think WV could stand having all of us returning with our FSJ's all at once? Never mind--all we'd bring home would be rusty hulks. Just kidding, but I do remember a few earlier trucks with major rust along lower bed crease lines. For instance, my first truck, a '68, came from Oak Hill and exhibited this tendency.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Topic author
wvrefugee

Post by wvrefugee »

Welcome Rod!
I went to Glenville for two years before transferring to WVU. Was in town during the flood of 1985! What an experience!

Glad you make it back sometimes!
...so the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights - the Oaks are just to greedy, they grab up all our light. Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law, and the trees are all kept equal -- by hatchet, ax, and saw..." Neal Peart, Rush "The Trees"

whsii

Post by whsii »

Rod2 wrote:WHSII, we've communicated before, but I don't remember telling you these particulars. I'm from Ansted, home of Hawks State Park, and I went through Summersville in May for the umpteenth time. This time was for my 50th graduation reunion from Glenville State.
After graduating there and teaching one year at Gauley Bridge, I came to NC for a graduate assistantship at UNC and I've been here ever since.
But I still have relatives and friends in the area, so I return fairly regularly.
In June, wife and I stayed at the Hawk Nest lodge and enjoyed Heritage Day festivities in Ansted that usually occur the weekend closest to WV statehood day (June 20).
Hello Rod,

I knew you had roots in WV but not Ansted. Know any Miller's in Anstead? The Chevrolet dealership, My uncle Randolf was manager, I think. Lon William about five years younger than you, was a city policeman turned minister.

sma97tj

Post by sma97tj »

I'm from Charleston WV now living in St Albans

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

wvrefugee wrote:Welcome Rod!
I went to Glenville for two years before transferring to WVU. Was in town during the flood of 1985! What an experience!

Glad you make it back sometimes!
Yeah, it flooded in '61 or '62 when I was there. I always thought it was strange that Little Kanawha "creek" could rise 20/30 feet and flood the town. I lived in a basement apt about half way up the hill north of Main St and the water came up to our door but not in, thank goodness. But the dam at Burnsville put an end to that.
And the new US 19 has taken a lot of excitement out of the trip from Ansted to Glenville. But then there's still the "fifteen mile road" from Burnsville to Glenville. There are now T-shirts that proclaim, "I survived the 15 mile road." Big deal; I survived through a 4 year stint there and just considered it part of the trip. I don't know about these modern day young-uns.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

Hello Rod,

I knew you had roots in WV but not Ansted. Know any Miller's in Anstead? The Chevrolet dealership, My uncle Randolf was manager, I think. Lon William about five years younger than you, was a city policeman turned minister.
Yes, I know/knew several Millers from the area. Anyone in particular?

Are you referring to the Chevy dealership in Summersville? Ansted had Ford and Chrysler/Plymouth.

whsii

Post by whsii »

Rod2 wrote:
Hello Rod,

Yes, I know/knew several Millers from the area. Anyone in particular?

Are you referring to the Chevy dealership in Summersville? Ansted had Ford and Chrysler/Plymouth.

Well Rod,

I thought it was Chevy, could have been the Ford dealership, Randolf Miller was my uncle, Lon William Miller a cousin. Lon would be about five years younger than you, I think.

Topic author
wvrefugee

Post by wvrefugee »

Rod, you ever run into a guy named Sull McCarty or Buck Edwards??
...so the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights - the Oaks are just to greedy, they grab up all our light. Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law, and the trees are all kept equal -- by hatchet, ax, and saw..." Neal Peart, Rush "The Trees"

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

wvrefugee wrote:Rod, you ever run into a guy named Sull McCarty or Buck Edwards??
Sorry, neither of these names ring a bell.

whsii wrote: Well Rod,

I thought it was Chevy, could have been the Ford dealership, Randolf Miller was my uncle, Lon William Miller a cousin. Lon would be about five years younger than you, I think.
Tommy Miller was a salesman at the Chrysler place and Don Miller ran the Exxon station, but Randolf and Lon William don't register.

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

sma97tj wrote:I'm from Charleston WV now living in St Albans
Welcome!
I am from Scott Depot/Teays Valley.
I graduated from Winfield HS as did my two younger brothers.
My parents still live in the same house I grew up in.

My wife was born and raised in St Albans and graduated from St Albans.

My wife, three kids and I escaped the economic vacuum of WVa in the mid 90's to Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Rod2 wrote:I'm from Ansted, home of Hawks State Park
When I got out of the Army in 1984, I attended West Virginia Tech and had a lot of friends that were Ansted.
That was a long time ago and do not remember their names.
My super close friend Charles Welch, Jr lived across the bridge at Kanawha Falls.
I've tried to get ahold of him, but never could seem to locate him.
Rod2 wrote:Pigsmith, we took some NC friends on a tour of WV a few years ago (they had never been there), and blew their minds. One of the roads we toured was 150. Your video rekindled some good memories.
Do you think WV could stand having all of us returning with our FSJ's all at once? Never mind--all we'd bring home would be rusty hulks. Just kidding, but I do remember a few earlier trucks with major rust along lower bed crease lines. For instance, my first truck, a '68, came from Oak Hill and exhibited this tendency.
Well, my J Trucks projects (both of them) are hiatus at the moment until I can find a new-to-us home...driving home in a rusty FSJ is out for me.

Every J Truck that I have ever seen has rusted along that bed seam.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone