The Jelly Beans are doing it again...

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
REDONE

The Jelly Beans are doing it again...

Post by REDONE »

They really do wait to see what week we're doing it and then make sure to match it up.

http://www.fjsummit.org/

It's all good, them spending all that money around town makes me feel less bad about spending all my money before I get there. I do miss the Pinzgauer guys though. In 2003 or 2004 there was a bunch of mini mogs running around instead of jelly beans.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

will e

Re: The Jelly Beans are doing it again...

Post by will e »

Overall I like the Jellybeans. Most are friendly. Often times they will come over and talk jeeps with us. The FJ is a good platform. The variety is insane! Everything from stock to decked out. And a lot of snorkels!

Their get together is way too organized for me. ;) You know before you show up which trails you will run and at what time. You have designated leader/sweepers. Registration, tech checks, payments... I guess if your rig doesn't break down it is easier to plan!

They get tons of vendor support as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

Flint.. have you been doing some editing?? ;)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

My early morning dribble got blown to the winds when that storm rolled in this morning Mikie. :D
Flint Boardman

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

fulsizjeep wrote:My early morning dribble got blown to the winds when that storm rolled in this morning Mikie. :D
I see what you did there.

For those following along and confused I'll do my best to clarify.

The "Jelly Beans" are the FJ Cruiser people that come to Ouray the same weekend as us for the last 9 years. We schedule our trip in July the year previous, they schedule there trip typically in March, but this year I think it was earlier since Ouray tends to sell out for July in April (over all, not just KOA. After that you're looking at other peoples cancelations) but I digress.

We call them "Jelly Beans" the same way they may call us "Jalopies", all in good fun. For the most part they aren't that different than us as people. Obviously they "tend" to have way more money than us, or at the very least, different values financially, but that doesn't make them bad people. Over all they are out there for the same reason we are: fellowship, community, fresh air, adventure, etc etc.

As with every group, there is a douche bag contingent. It may be the financial demographic or just the amenities of the FJ Cruiser, but the douche baggary with the FJ croud is more pronounced than we tend to expect. It is NOT universal, like will e said, for the most part they're normal dudes and dudettes who like normal people stuff. But there are the "metal mulisha" types en mass, the mountain dew extreme death metal hard core people smoking their brakes on every descent, the tom cruise aviator sunglasses rocking Kenny Loggins "danger zone" with the AC blowing full blast and the windows rolled up tight when you're trying to tell them they are so far left MOTORCYCLES going the other way are PASSING THEM ON THE RIGHT.

The important thing to remember is that everyone is a real person, and an idiot is an idiot, no matter what they drive. Sometimes it's me in my Jeep, I can own that :roll: . At least I don't own a Jelly Bean. :lol:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

I'll paint the Q yellow if it will help.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

will e

Post by will e »

Tad wrote:I'll paint the Q yellow if it will help.
Yes it would. Looking forward to seeing it in Yellow.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I like sunshine yellow and highly recommend it for jelly beans or jelly bean clones. I wonder how well it goes on a KIA...
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:...But there are the "metal mulisha" types en mass, the mountain dew extreme death metal hard core people smoking their brakes on every descent, the tom cruise aviator sunglasses rocking Kenny Loggins "danger zone"...
Whats wrong with extreme death metal? :(

Although I was not aware Kenny Loggins is now considered Extreme Death Metal...
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I know someone that might have a Brian Chuchua Racing Yellow Waggy at Ouray this year. ;)

That is, if the stupid Dustbuster gets it done in time?????
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

That what I am waiting to see. ;)

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I might need some parts soon Jerry!
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Just looked at their web sight. They have 317 vehicles coming!
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

csuengr wrote:Just looked at their web sight. They have 317 vehicles coming!
Sounds about right.
They will be spread out all over the place on the trails, hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, etc.
They are actually pretty well organized on the trails although their groups tend to get a little large sometimes.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It could be much worse; they could be the Pirate 4x4 crew...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

will e

Post by will e »

No self respecting Pirate regular would admit to doing these trails. ;)

Surprisingly we see a lot less of the Jelly Beans than you would think out on the trail. Like Tad said. They are very well organized. You sign up for each run well in advance. You get a time slot. There is a specified leader and tail gunner. The number of rigs in each run is capped. In fact the number that can join their invasion is capped. So it's cool that they make sure not to all go to the same place at the same time.

If you hang out and grab a cold one in town you can watch dozens of them go up and down the main drag.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

^^^ Yeah I recall we tried doing it all organized like that one year... :roll: never again. :D

317 huh? I think there may not be that many FSJs left west of the Mississippi...
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!