Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

derf

Re: Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

Post by derf »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You running a shroud??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taurus fan with a built in shroud.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

derf wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You running a shroud??

Taurus fan with a built in shroud.
Don't know why I didn't remember that... Lol!

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Finally got up the motivation and energy to tackle the exhaust leak. Got the y-pipe out, driver manifold off. Very thankful to have an air compressor, air ratchet to get me this far before I ran out of gas for the morning (geez I sound like I am 90). Kroil and a pipe wrench easily removed the old stud.

Now with two brand new studs in, hopefully I can tighten down the y-pipe to the manifold enough to stop that danged leak. I have two other tricks up my sleeve to hopefully make the fifth time a charm.

Found a lot of oil on the exhaust manifold gasket... The valve cover bolts were finger loose. Must be why. Maybe that caused the leak too. But I swear the leak was from the manifold to y-pipe junction.

Too hot out now though. I will go to parts store for manifold / head stud kit like I did on the other side. Then either tackle the rest tonight or tomorrow or... whenever I can.

Also going to pick up raffle stuff from Scott once Amy gets home from her trip. Today might be a good day to hit harbor freight for CFSJA raffle donation goodies.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

tedlovesjeeps71

Don't forget some copper anti seize on the new exhaust studs.!.

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

Well heck! Was trying to get my rear axle swapped today and found its 3.31 instead of 2.72 like I thought. Might just throw it in so at least I can have it drive able for now...

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

SparkyB wrote:Well heck! Was trying to get my rear axle swapped today and found its 3.31 instead of 2.72 like I thought. Might just throw it in so at least I can have it drive able for now...
Part time trasfer case I assume?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

will e wrote:
SparkyB wrote:Well heck! Was trying to get my rear axle swapped today and found its 3.31 instead of 2.72 like I thought. Might just throw it in so at least I can have it drive able for now...
Part time trasfer case I assume?

NP229 it's an 88 Wagoneer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

So you can't run a different front gear right? I am not sure what happens if you disconnect the front drive shaft. Some 'full time' transfer cases burn out if both axles are not hooked up.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

derf

Post by derf »

It's really bad for an AWD tcase to run mismatched gears. At least with a qtrac you have the option to lock the case in hi range and either unlock hubs or remove the front driveshaft. I wouldn't run mismatched gears with a 228 or 229.
W0JPR

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

derf wrote:It's really bad for an AWD tcase to run mismatched gears. At least with a qtrac you have the option to lock the case in hi range and either unlock hubs or remove the front driveshaft. I wouldn't run mismatched gears with a 228 or 229.
Yeah I figured that. By drive able I mean get it installed and off the concrete outside my garage. I'd rather do that and regear the front since I wanted a 3.31 anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

derf

Post by derf »

Sounds like a solid plan.
W0JPR

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

So that means y'all be seeing me in this. And I may be able to take someone's camp spot who's dropped out. Have to check my schedule. Image

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Sweet. The antlers totally distract from the fact it doesn't have a snorkle!

I have site 47d available and someone else just posted up that another site is available.
Last edited by will e on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedlovesjeeps71

SparkyB wrote:So that means y'all be seeing me in this.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Probably will do better than some of our waggy... ImageImage

derf

Post by derf »

I've been driving the truck around and it is working reasonably well for the most part.

I have the issue with overheating under load but it cools right back down if I let it idle. Probably not something I want to get into fixing before the invasion. I'll just have to watch it.

I do have low oil pressure when it's fully warmed up but I have a pump mid plate that I'll install this weekend along with thicker oil. I think I'm running 5w30 and I'm going to step up to 10W40.

I'm also getting some wonky voltage issues. I have the premiere power welder as my alternator (without the welding box). I'm going to see about replacing it with a one wire alternator instead.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm stoked to see truck Norris in action, Roy. I know riding with me was a bit of a bummer last year with a baby and squeemish momma in back. :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Yeah it will be good to see Truck Norris.

Do keep in mind that getting to some of the trails requires a run up 550, we see a lot of rigs overheating. (Red Mountain, Black Bear, Ophir are a few that come to mind)

derf

Post by derf »

Really not much time to do anything about it before hand. Any parts I order may not be here in time. I leave for Ouray a week from Friday.

Though I might could be convinced to remove the electric fan in favor of doing a manual fan if someone would be willing to sell me a shroud at the event. That's an easy swap.

Thing is, it heats up even when the overdrive and lockup torque converter is engaged. But only gradually when pulling sustained grades at highway speed. And that tells me that the radiator isn't enough regardless of the fan that's blowing on it.

derf

Post by derf »

I had a follow up thought. The radiator in the truck is a brass/copper 3 core replacement from the parts store.

I do still have a plastic/aluminum parts store radiator in my possession. Would I see better cooling if I swapped the other one in this weekend?
W0JPR

tedlovesjeeps71

Worth a try since it costs ya nothing but time? Before ya pull the old one, hit it with one of those infrared thermometers and see if you can detect any blockage.