For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
REDONE

The jellybeans AREN'T doing it again?

Post by REDONE »

The FJ Summit crowd is coming the week after us this year! :-bd

http://fjsummit.org/

While my Ouray neighbors last year were with the FJers and were so cool we actually have kept in touch with them, I'm glad they're coming a different week this year.

I just put in for vacation that thurs and friday! (banana dance)<<<EDIT: Vacation approved! (more banana dance)
Last edited by REDONE on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

srobertsfsj

Re: The jellybeans AREN'T doing it again?

Post by srobertsfsj »

That will be the first time in a while I can remember it not being the same week as the invasion, wow
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

will e

Post by will e »

WOW, I will kind of miss them. Although the parking in town should be a bit better.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Dang, I won't be able to scare the crap out of them again this year.

FJ people don't like it when some kid in a big old Jeep is creeping up on them... Especially when the engine isn't running, and I'm trying my hardest to make the brakes creak and moan as if I could come careening down the switchbacks into them at any time.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

That being said the fj people I encountered outside their big group trail run were generally polite and new how to share a trail pretty well.

And I've noticed that fj people I've encountered on the trail and in the woods around here are much more hospitable than most of the faux wheelers in JK's I've asked for help when I was stuck.

I got stuck in a little mud puddle up on guanella, about 50 feet from a couple in a brand new AEV hemi'd JK. That Jeep had a 12 thousand pound winch, big mud tires, and could have very easily freed a kid in need from the little puddle. They refused to help, as moving there Jeep would mean packing up there camp kitchen. I offered them money, firewood, everything I could think of. After they had packed up there camp kitchen they explained that they wouldn't do it because it would be too much of a liability.

I found a guy in a TJ about 20 minutes walk away who responded "Hell Yeah" even though he had only a 7500lb winch and all terrains. We had to strap his Jeep to a tree and snatch block me out. He wouldn't even take payment afterwards. What a guy.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

This got me thinking of the PInzgauer group that was there the same time as us in 2004. THAT was a cool bunch of folks in some cool old iron! My favorite was the MinPinz (Halflinger), looked like 60 year old 4x4 golfcarts. I looked them up and while their meet is the same week, they're having it in Gunnison this year.

http://www.rmpinzgauers.org/eventschedule.htm
Last edited by REDONE on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Very cool, those little halfingers are like the original side by side. With low range and a rear mounted engine!

Is the Money Badger going to make a Ouray appearance this year?

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Nikkormat wrote:Very cool, those little halfingers are like the original side by side. With low range and a rear mounted engine!

Is the Money Badger going to make a Ouray appearance this year?
Oh, yeah! The wife saw why it's important to bring an FSJ to the FSJ things last year, regardless of how cool your other Jeep (trailhawk) is. I'm definitely coming in the Money Badger, if Rhiannon and the baby come, they'll come out with friends in a different Jeep and bum around the towns while I bum around the trails. :-bd

(While she loved the pretty stuff like Alta Lakes, she does NOT like switchbacks above timberline, and that's ok, it's not for everybody).

Grizzly Locker Rear

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

It was really neat to see the BIG gathering they did in 2014. One of the FJ guys told me about 400 folks registered with another 100 or so flying under the radar. Thought they were pretty polite for the most part.

Kept running into one of their "trail leaders" who was driving like an all-out IDIOT that year. Cutting thru groups, driving at hi speeds and driving across the tundra way off trail to get around everybody and just plain driving dangerously. The first time I saw him I thought he had a legit life and death medical emergency on board but after the 3rd day it was really pissing me off. Maroonish FJ, dual LED light bars blazing in the daylight, maybe a mild tire/wheel/lift combo. First time I can honestly say I rooted for somebody to fly off the mountain.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Nikkormat wrote:Dang, I won't be able to scare the crap out of them again this year.

FJ people don't like it when some kid in a big old Jeep is creeping up on them... Especially when the engine isn't running, and I'm trying my hardest to make the brakes creak and moan as if I could come careening down the switchbacks into them at any time.
X2 :D

I did Hell's Revenge a few years back in my stock IHC pickup with a group of FJ guys from back east. Every time my bumpers dragged the ground I could feel them cringing, the reactions were priceless and they didn't realize I was listening in on the CB. About 3 times at least they suggested I turn around but IIRC it's a one-way and I was comfortable with my vehicle and my abilities...Had a lot of fun with it.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

FJ Cruiser Owner on CB wrote:Ah man he's ripping plastic on that one for sure. This Yahoo should turn back before his old truck breaks a hip.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

There were some bad apples the first time I saw them in Ouray too, but that happens with any group. Even our little group has at least one person banned for life from the KOA. I am looking forward to a little less crowding, and glad that the town will get a little more business having the groups spread out instead of all at once. I know I would've spent more money in town if parking wasn't so bad. They were all running trails when we were running trails and all in town for marshmallows and beer the same time as us too!
Grizzly Locker Rear

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Yeah parking will definitely be nicer! I've only run across the Jellies once -- last year. But back in ancient history, during the recon and original invasion the Xterra crowd was there in vast numbers and we also had lots and lots of motorcycles in town.

The Pinz guys were really cool when I ran with 'em one time way back. I was thinking of getting a Pinzie. We did Rampart Range or Mt. Herman or something... only it was really, really snowy. I accidentally busted one guy's tailight with my Jeep (long story) :( And then got really stuck. And they pulled me out. Those things come with snow chains, y'know. I think it was a train of 'em including a 6x6 that yanked me out in the end. They were totally cool about it but I was feeling kinda small by the end. :) Good times and good people.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, those pinz folks were a real class act when I met them too. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Nikkormat wrote:
FJ Cruiser Owner on CB wrote:Ah man he's ripping plastic on that one for sure. This Yahoo should turn back before his old truck breaks a hip.
LOL YES! It definitely broke a hip in Ouray. Pix in the main Ouray thread.
shimniok wrote:Yeah parking will definitely be nicer! I've only run across the Jellies once -- last year. But back in ancient history, during the recon and original invasion the Xterra crowd was there in vast numbers and we also had lots and lots of motorcycles in town.

The Pinz guys were really cool when I ran with 'em one time way back. I was thinking of getting a Pinzie. We did Rampart Range or Mt. Herman or something... only it was really, really snowy. I accidentally busted one guy's tailight with my Jeep (long story) :( And then got really stuck. And they pulled me out. Those things come with snow chains, y'know. I think it was a train of 'em including a 6x6 that yanked me out in the end. They were totally cool about it but I was feeling kinda small by the end. :) Good times and good people.
Sounds like quite a run! Any pix?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW