Successful first run

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Curly

Successful first run

Post by Curly »

or is it the second run? :P I finally got to take my Chief offroad today, even if it was just forest service roads. I tried this about 2 weeks ago and had to turn back after just a mile or 2 due to a leaky heater core and running very hot. Turned around, took it home and tore into it. New timing chain, heater core, etc. Tried again today. Much better! Still running too hot, about 220 on some of the milder climbs, but with 75 degrees outside and a 160 Tstat, I know it is too hot. It did cool down to 180 once I stopped climbing.

Anyway, made a 70 mile round trip, about 25 off road, from 3500 ft to 6500 and back. Spent a good bit of it in low range, it feels very different in low range than my TJ (Standard trans) I only took a few pics because I have done this trail many times, I just needed proof I went up there. :D For the Az folks, this was the trail from Cottonwood to Cherry, along the face of MIngus Mtn.

A view of the Verde Valley from the trail

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

shimniok

Re: Successful first run

Post by shimniok »

cool! looks fun and glad it went well.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Yes, that a beautiful area. Glad you had a good time. At least you took one more picture than I do. LOL

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Great pictures. I wish I owned a 4wd when I lived in AZ. Where does this trail end? Near Jerome?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Great pics, I love that area. My grandparents used to live in Cottonwood and an uncle in Camp Verde
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
Curly

Post by Curly »

Lumpskie wrote:Great pictures. I wish I owned a 4wd when I lived in AZ. Where does this trail end? Near Jerome?
Jerome used to be an option for this trail, but a boulder came down on the road and blocked that section. Forest Service and Jerome didn't care/want to be bothered removing it. That section is gated off now. So now you can access it from the top of Mingus mtn or from Cottonwood.

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

will e

Post by will e »

Good for you! It's great getting them out. I am looking forward to the cooler temps so I can head out soon. Maybe I should head up north...
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Jeeply

Post by Jeeply »

Nice photos. great view on the last one