Exploring Colorado Mines and Ghost Towns

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Exploring Colorado Mines and Ghost Towns

Post by Lumpskie »

I took the Waggy out and explore a bit this past weekend. The plan was to explore the old mining roads above Idaho Springs, looking for the ghost town of Russell Gulch. And, while we were at it, we would try to find as many interesting old mining structures as possible. (I forgot my camera so please excuse my cell phone pictures!)

We started out by grabbing some lunch in Idaho Springs

After lunch, we headed up Virginia Canyon (Oh my God Road), past mine after mine. Some mining structures were just off the main road.

While others took a little more effort to get to:

I believe that this is the Minott Mine... I didn't climb up to find out

I believe that this one is the Frontenac Mine. I explored some of the structures here. It looks like It was a big operation when everything was still standing:

You can see how the mill was located on the side of the hill here:

I believe that it was a stamp mill, but I didn't climb inside. You can see the back side where crushed ore was put into buckets here:

I grabbed some pictures inside the top floor as well:

Overall, it was a neat place to explore, but I got a good bump on the head on my way out! After that, we hit the road again, looking for Russell Gulch. As we drove along, we ran across Glory Hole Mine (I believe). I just snapped a couple of quick pictures here because it looks like they are in the process of recommencing operations again. There were trucks and heavy equipment parked there. The old sections of the mill were HUGE, but I just grabbed a couple pictures from the road.

We decided to move on before we ran into anyone. In my experience, miners don't care to have people near their land. The next thing we saw was what the locals call the "Old Fort". It's a cool old structure. I need to research what it's purpose was.

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Lumpskie

Re: Exploring Colorado Mines and Ghost Towns

Post by Lumpskie »

After passing the Old Fort, we entered the town of Russell Gulch. This town isn't a true ghost town, by my definition, as there are still easily a dozen occupied buildings. And, for me, that makes this place even more interesting to visit. Here are a couple of shots of the school house, (the biggest structure in town) and just a little Waggy flex. :sombrero:

Here are some old houses, that are still occupied:

I talked with the owner of this J Truck for a little bit. It's a cool old rig with the tornado 230 in it

This place was pretty neat too... it's the "Ghost Town Disc Golf" store front. For something like $5 you can play the course, which winds all over through town. If I get time, I'd like to play it some time.

Getting closer to the town center, I stopped by this old store, built in 1895. It looks to be well maintained, but it was closed when we were there.

As we were standing on the corner of the two main cross streets, we saw something interesting. On one side of the street was this neat looking old ruin:

But across the street and up a driveway, a well maintained building caught my eye. So, with Wifey getting nervous, we headed up the driveway to get a closer look. What we found was a neat little pottery store: Wabi Pottery

No one tends the store. The owner just asks that you leave your money in a basket when you buy something. He also has left boxes and tissue paper so you can package your purchase. It's a cool little setup.

Here's a portion of a 8 foot wide photo of Russell Gulch from back in the early 1900s. I thought it was cool.

After looking around for a while, we left the store and stopped at the main intersection in town for one last look around. Then, we headed back through what seemed like a bit of a time warp, to our modern life.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

kurtuleas

Post by kurtuleas »

Awesome pics!

That Old Fort structure is cool. If you get any more info on it, I would like to know what it was...
CRAWL MAGAZINE

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Thats awesome! I would love to do this someday.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks, you guys.

Kurtuleas: I'm still trying to find the story on the Old Fort but haven't come up with anything on the internet. I might have to head up there again and ask some of the locals what it's about. (excuse for another trip!)

Hutch: If you're ever out this way, let me know. There's a lot more exploring in the hills out here.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

What area is it exactly? I neef another colorado Vaca!

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Looks like a great adventure! Cool pics and places. I love CO!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Wagnstuff

Post by Wagnstuff »

Nice post thanks for the pictures in the great idea to follow suit! I'm in monument and I see no reason why should not come up there and explore!
1989 jeep GW, 3" lift, fuel injected 408 ci crate motor, air locker rear

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks you guys. If either of you head up into the hills, let me know. We can make a mini Colorado FSJ run.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Cool pictures, thanks for posting.

Hey Lumpskie, do you live in the Roxborough area? I think I saw your wife drive by on RR road. I love the color of your Waggy.

We need to stage another Denver area get together....need to bug Scott about that and just do it.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey, thanks Strode182.

Yeah, I live in Roxborough Village. Are you in Highlands Ranch? I agree, we should get some of the CO guys together... I'd love to meet you guys.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

I'm just northeast of Ken Caryl and Wads.

We'll have to start planning a ice cream run one of these days.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^That's a good idea. Maybe I'll bump last year's thread in the "Mountain" section.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Yeah we need another get together. And a trail run.

sent from my MotoX
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

A note about the Glory Hole Mine, Mill, and surrounding properties...

The Glory hole Isn't being reopened. The business operating on the land is Black Hawk Towing. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you leave the road on that stretch. The operator of Black Hawk Towing, who's name I can't now remember, has a zero tolerance policy for trespassing. If you are seen you WILL be prosecuted and fired upon. Gilpin Counties trespassing laws are loosely written. Historical boundaries and county roads can signify the boundary between getting shot or jailed. In addition, the site further down the hill at the start of the road is under CONSTANT surveillance from the apartments on the opposite side of the valley. If you don't have permission to be there you'll find a county sheriff and the land owner waiting for you on the way out. I accessed the property with permission and still had an officer waiting to book me on the way out. If I hadn't been able to prove that I was there lawfully I would have been charged with trespassing, criminal mischief, claim jumping, and unlicensed prospecting within city limits. Don't be an idiot like me just stay away.

Other places I would recommend in Gilpin County:

Chase Valley: 39.813626, -105.518928
Cool abandoned structures past the eastern gate at this spot. Good photography, usually only busy for hunting season. Road to this site is easy, even for a stock FSJ.

Mill, Processing Plant, And a Partially Sealed Mine of Huge Size: 39.796111, -105.525339
Abandoned since the late 30's this mine is pretty cool to explore. Lots of good photography and an approachable mine entrance with an incredible draft on warm days. To access drive through the gate here: 39.797481, -105.524808 Mine entrance here: 39.795377, -105.526419

Explore the network of forest service roads and trails in the area. Before the needles eye tunnel closed it was possible to drive from central city to winter park on dirt roads. And in a more capable rig, there is. (The legality of the tunnel bypass is unknown but it is well traveled.)
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.