Life with a 40 year old Jeep as a daily driver.

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
csuengr

Life with a 40 year old Jeep as a daily driver.

Post by csuengr »

Due to an unfortunate financial situation, my 1977 Cherokee is now my only vehicle. I have also moved to Sterling Colorado. It is a small town in the eastern part of Colorado. Well big for the eastern part. But everything is apparently two hours away, and there is much I like to do along the Colorado front range. Going to work isn't an issue. Takes me ten minutes and that is doing ten below the posted speed limit. But I am returning to the Denver or Loveland area almost every weekend, so last trip was just shy of 300 miles.

I fixed the AC, again. The housing the blower motor attaches to broke, so the fan was sitting on the bottom of the housing, much noise and bad smell. Fixed with some ABS cement and burlap as I was out of fiberglass mat.

Another bad thing, 14.5 mpg. I cleaned the air filter, which hasn't been done in well over a year. See if that helps a bit.

Worse thing. Seeing many MUCH newer vehicles broken down on the side of the road.

Good thing. Being able to cruise at 80 mpg and still be under 3000 rpm.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Tatsadasayago

Re: Life with a 40 year old Jeep as a daily driver.

Post by Tatsadasayago »

14.5 MPG is pretty darn good for a V-8 FSJ bro.
I'd be more concerned about the many failure parts if I had to use mine for a DD.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I use my '77 Cherokee as a daily driver and I only get around 9.75 MPG. I would rather put gas in the Cherokee than pay on a car payment. Probably still cheaper to drive the Cherokee once you add it all up.....
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I took a round trip from Sacramento to Reno today and was shocked at the number of new and late model vehicles sitting on the side of the freeway. Of at least 30 I counted in the 300+ mile round trip only one was disabled by a flat tire.
But still, I don't trust my Chief to make it to the first stop sign from my house even though it hasn't given me a reason to distrust it in over 2 years...

Old people and their anxieties I guess.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Old people and their anxieties I guess.
I like to call that wisdom. :D
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine anywhere (unless it's in the high 80's or hotter as I don't have the AC working and I'm spoiled in my old age). My Cherokee with the fuel injected 360 and 4 speed gets high 13's in fuel mileage and my 2009 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gets low 12's....
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Well, my transmission (5sp manual) went belly up. Was driving to work and it decided to get stuck in fourth gear. Went back home (4th gear starts are fun) and pulled the top cover of the transmission off. I have about .2" of play in the input and output shafts.

Been driving my dad's 02' Dakota.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

ghcoe wrote:I use my '77 Cherokee as a daily driver and I only get around 9.75 MPG. I would rather put gas in the Cherokee than pay on a car payment. Probably still cheaper to drive the Cherokee once you add it all up.....
I agree.
I regretfully own a new car after being tired of looking for a good used daily to replace my last totaled out ride.
The car is fantastic, don't get me wrong.
I enjoy it, however it is a financial burden at $400 a month note payment and $2000+ annual insurance.

But good for you keeping your Cherokee on the road as long as it lasted!
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

230ohc wrote:
ghcoe wrote:I use my '77 Cherokee as a daily driver and I only get around 9.75 MPG. I would rather put gas in the Cherokee than pay on a car payment. Probably still cheaper to drive the Cherokee once you add it all up.....
I agree.
I regretfully own a new car after being tired of looking for a good used daily to replace my last totaled out ride.
The car is fantastic, don't get me wrong.
I enjoy it, however it is a financial burden at $400 a month note payment and $2000+ annual insurance.

But good for you keeping your Cherokee on the road as long as it lasted!
Still running. Had a rocker arm problem a few weeks ago, but hot that sorted out now. It has taken me on a lot of youtube trips https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg?. I have two big trips next month so we shall see how it does.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack