Rubicon Run

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Fatbob309

Rubicon Run

Post by Fatbob309 »

A few friends from my Jeep club headed up to the Rubicon for a few days. My 81 Cherokee did great but had some issues even with all the time and money I put in so I wouldn't be that guy... I added a winch (it died as soon as I hit dirt), replaced the motor mounts 2 days before leaving ( one failed letting the motor/trans to flop and take out the front driveshaft) Put on a new lift (hit and broke a u bolt) and stuck with my 31's because they were like new. Should have done the 35's.
The carb died in Tahoe and no one had a rebuild kit or new carb. We found one in Reno at Summit so we made that drive after messing with it for most of the day.
Other than a few small issues the Jeep did great for being open and on 31's.
Here are some pics Chris from the HigherGround4x4 club got.

AwesomeJ10

Re: Rubicon Run

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nice!

Suck you lost a brand new MM. The new ones suck, just plain suck. I lost one this past Memorial weekend while on the sand dunes. Replaced it and lost it again 1 hour later. Replaced it again and stopped running the rig so hard.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Very cool, did you get a lot of body damage? Did you take the bypasses?
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
Fatbob309

Post by Fatbob309 »

srobertsfsj wrote:Very cool, did you get a lot of body damage? Did you take the bypasses?
Yes I did. Part if it was because I was on a strap for part of the trail after I lost the front driveshaft and had no control over what line I took. Not a big deal.
We went around little sluice but that was it. All the other stuff we did.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

What gears do you have? I am assuming stock 2.73's? Higher gears put a lot more stress on motor and trans mounts (as well as u-joints).

Very cool to see you made it through! FSJ's on the Rubicon seem so rare.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fatbob309

Post by Fatbob309 »

Stuka wrote:What gears do you have? I am assuming stock 2.73's? Higher gears put a lot more stress on motor and trans mounts (as well as u-joints).

Very cool to see you made it through! FSJ's on the Rubicon seem so rare.
Whatever it came with stock. It has ***almost*** enough power with that 4.2 to spin the tires in dirt... :D

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Are you in town for HAN by chance? Doing a trail run Saturday in Reno if you're in town/able.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'