1966 Thriftside J 3000

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

AwesomeJ10

Re: 1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nice work! I really want a bed like that!

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

Love the pic with the flag on the wall. I noticed you blurred the license plate in most pictures but missed the ones in the drive way. Might want to retouch them before they're out there on the internet for everyone to see.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Blake wrote:Nice work! I really want a bed like that!
Thanks, come up to Spokane and we can get it done. I sourced the stake pockets from two doner beds- same with the tailgate, and all the fender pieces. The sides were bent up at Spokane Tin. I used 2" muffler tubes for the rails.

If I did it once, I can do it again! Lol. In fact, I'll have to do it again for my son- he wants a jeep truck stepside!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:Love the pic with the flag on the wall. I noticed you blurred the license plate in most pictures but missed the ones in the drive way. Might want to retouch them before they're out there on the internet for everyone to see.
Yeah, I collect American Flags. That's one of three older ones- cloth, not nylon, or rayon. The only flags I buy are ones made in America. The flag at work says "Made in China". That bothered me a bit.

I hear ya on the license plate thing in this day and age you can't be too careful.

Meanwhile, this wall is done. I didn't put up three grill that were slightly unsightly... The grill in the lower row, left hand side is NOS, I still have the box! I found that at a swap meet under a pile of weird stuff. Aside from that grill, the rest are from rigs I sourced parts from in order to build the truck, and the panel.

Go ahead and start calling me some unsavory names! Lol

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

66stepside wrote: Image

Friend, 'ole buddy, 'o pal.... :mrgreen:
If anything, your going to have guys wanting you to sell them to you...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

lol. I am scrimping and saving and selling a few parts to buy Carnuck's Sportside for a father son project... I'd definately trade some of the grills for that truck! My son has always loved my truck (he's 10) and he loves riding in it. So when he saw some of the nicer Sportsides on the net, he said that's the kind of truck he wanted. I told him he'd have to get dirty and help build a truck to look that nice and he said he'd be all over it. :cry: He did mention the grill would have to look just like mine. :-bd

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

So what parts do you have available for another thriftside bed? :D

I've been going all out on my truck, bought a willy's pickup thriftside bed and got it all cleaned up to install. I was under the impression that the willy's and thriftside beds were the same except for length..... After some searching for the proper frame skirts last night I discovered that it's a bit narrower as well and I'm going to need to do some hacking. This makes me think I might be better off quickly fabbing up my own bed, as there are a few places I want to overbuild.

You still have a source for the bent sides? I'd be real interested in taking a look at your rig, and talking about what you used to get it all together. I live about 3 hours west of you, but I need to make it to Spalding's some time soon to pick up some parts for my hydro boost brake mods. I can bring pizza. :-bd
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear
Soon to have a HD44, 14 Bolt, SM465, NP205

Build: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 698#p22698

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I have spare fenders in various states of decay, short bed side skirts, tailgates and a bulk head.

I used Spokane Tin for the sides, just the 40 degree bend. I'd be more than happy to help you put one together. I may still have my original notes and measurements, too. Pizza works.

On the weekends I hit up two, or three local junk yards. What length is your old bed?

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

66stepside wrote:I have spare fenders in various states of decay, short bed side skirts, tailgates and a bulk head.

I used Spokane Tin for the sides, just the 40 degree bend. I'd be more than happy to help you put one together. I may still have my original notes and measurements, too. Pizza works.

On the weekends I hit up two, or three local junk yards. What length is your old bed?

I'd be interested in all of those parts. My truck is a short bed, 7' - so those side skirts should work. If I end up building my own bed, the willy's bed I have will be going back to my brother, so a tailgate and bulk head would be nice as well.

You gonna be around this Saturday? There's a brake booster I need to get from Spaldings, a junk yard scavenger hunt would be fun.

PM Sent
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I am always up for a trip to the wrecking Yard. There's a cute red head who loves my truck that works there.

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

66stepside wrote:I am always up for a trip to the wrecking Yard. There's a cute red head who loves my truck that works there.

Haha. All the more reason to get mine out of the garage and finished. :lol:

You gonna drive your truck to the junkyard? I'm putting a 40 gal suburban tank in the same spot you've got yours and I need some inspiration on fill hose locations.
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear

Mars

Post by Mars »

That wall has some serious style.. can't quite put my finger on why though :P
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

localfiend wrote:
66stepside wrote:I am always up for a trip to the wrecking Yard. There's a cute red head who loves my truck that works there.

Haha. All the more reason to get mine out of the garage and finished. :lol:

You gonna drive your truck to the junkyard? I'm putting a 40 gal suburban tank in the same spot you've got yours and I need some inspiration on fill hose locations.

I plan on taking the truck... Without rear fenders. The cops usually don't pay much attention to the older rigs that blur legal lines.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Mars wrote:

That wall has some serious style.. can't quite put my finger on why though :P

Yeah, you can find these grills anywhere and everywhere. They grow on the trees round here like fruits.

Meanwhile, I am wrapping up the fenders in-between rounds of the eternal-sanding-of-that-panel-delivery-process... It's nice to take a break from that.

I trimmed out the areas I had to cut out with edges. Ugly, but effective.

I should wrap up the welding tonight and start grinding down the old and new welds tomorrow.

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

Are those cutouts to clear the frame? Glad I've been procrastinating on fixing up mine. Was going to clean up some old weld, them prime and paint them. Would hated to do things twice.
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

localfiend wrote:Are those cutouts to clear the frame? Glad I've been procrastinating on fixing up mine. Was going to clean up some old weld, them prime and paint them. Would hated to do things twice.
They're so the fender clears the rear springs. I've seen quite a number of different style rear fenders- they seem like snowflakes as no two ever seem alike! That might be a bit of exaggeration, but out of my rusty pile, none are the same.

They must vary in bolt hole locations and "recessed innards" (for lack of the correct term) based upon wheel base (bed size), Willys-kaiser-amc and also by model. Like the FC vs. J truck vs. standard Willys trucks.

I ran out of welding wire!! :banghead: Oh well, I guess it's panel sanding and Jeepster Tribute time.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

localfiend wrote:Are those cutouts to clear the frame? Glad I've been procrastinating on fixing up mine. Was going to clean up some old weld, them prime and paint them. Would hated to do things twice.

Hey, it was nice meeting you today! Get lots of pics of your build and post them on this site.

The key to getting the fenders to work on a modded bed to to bolt the fenders up (mock them up temporarily) and mark where you need to trim the fender to keep them off the springs. The rear part of the fender requires more clearance then the front of the fender.

Mock up, mark what needs to be cut, take off the fender, cut off what was marked, mock back up and see if it clears. It's better to trim a little at a time, than it is to add some back if you cut too much off.

localfiend

Post by localfiend »

66stepside wrote: Hey, it was nice meeting you today! Get lots of pics of your build and post them on this site.

The key to getting the fenders to work on a modded bed to to bolt the fenders up (mock them up temporarily) and mark where you need to trim the fender to keep them off the springs. The rear part of the fender requires more clearance then the front of the fender.

Mock up, mark what needs to be cut, take off the fender, cut off what was marked, mock back up and see if it clears. It's better to trim a little at a time, than it is to add some back if you cut too much off.
Back at you. It's always good to meet a fellow Jeeper, especially one with such a cool truck.

My brother is home, so he's being conscripted tomorrow to help me pull the old bed off and drop the willy's bed on the frame. I'll document everything with pictures, and get my build thread moved over here and updated with the progress. The junkyard trip was a success, I now have a hydro booster and master cylinder that will essentially bolt right up. All in all, a good day. :-bd
2001 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 I6
AW4 Trans Swap
4.88 Gears
35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
T90
Dana 20
Dana 44's Front & Rear

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I'm glad you are jumping in feet first- I'll be subscribed to your build. If you need anything, let me know!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, now it's just a question of... Ummmm, sanding. As if I wasn't a tad tired of sanding already. :P

The good news is I can primer them and block sand if needed when I go do the same thing to the panel.