1966 Thriftside J 3000

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

1st stage of paint is done- 1 quart of Rustoleum Aluminum over 1 quart of Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Turned out pretty good all things considered.

Once it cures, I'll put a fairly large white stripe across the sides, like a white band all the way around so I can match the logo that'll end up on the panel.

Then onto the body work for the truck bed trailer, which will end up white.

Anyone know what lettering color ended up on white thriftside truck's tailgates for the 'Jeep' script?

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

After a morning of fishing and scuba diving in Lake CDA, I'm back on the canopy:

So now the the vent has been relocated, it's on to getting the lumber rack installed. Which means more cutting, welding and fabrication:

Once that's done, paint it, then move on to the bed itself.

Edit:

Done for the night:

The four posts are mounted, I'll weld them in tight tomorrow, or whenever.

I'm still mulling over the placement of the top portion of the rack. I want it as low to the top as possible, but not touching (excess posts will get sliced off). Since it is off a full sized truck (12' long rack), I also need to probably have 3' of over hang in the front and a foot over on the back end. I'll mock it up and see what looks best. 4' in the front will put it almost over the hitch mechanism.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I think I have it in the position I think will work best:

The canopy will get buttoned up this upcoming week, hopefully including the accent paint.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That thing is coming along quick! Looks like it could be used for camping too, not just hauling.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks, I feel like I am kinda on a deadline- but I just want it done so I can put the 66 back into the shop- and get back on the 62 father/son project. Hahaha.

It's an all purpose build, so camping will be one of it's purposes- including a tent option for the lumber rack one of these days. I have a ladder I hope to install on it up toward the front to access the top a bit easier, but that all depends on how it all goes.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

The white stripe (no relation to the band) went on today. A few glitches, but considering the age of the set up, I am pretty content with the results- it seems to fit the retro vibe.

A few more minor details to wrap up, then she can come off so I can work on the trailer body and trailer axle install.

Edit:

The thang is bolted to the bed via custom brackets I had to cut, drill, weld, tap then bolt in. The paint is cured, so now she can sit outside. So close to having it ready.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

One more thing off the list ta do:

16" on center- extra tubing to support whatever weight needs to go on top.

Another coat of paint will get slathered on the "new" metal and it's ready to come off.

I've taken the fender and skirts off one side and began the sanding/body work process on those; Memorial Day weekend is the deadline I've given myself to have the box itself ready for paint.

Once the body/paint work is done, then the trailer axle can go on and the D53 with limited slip can come out.

Edit:

Super close on wrapping up the body work on the fenders, and skirts. Now on to the bedsides and stake pockets.

I did manage to paint the innards of the fenders and skirts with Rustoleum semi-gloss black out of the spray gun. I did the insides first so that any of the overspray when I put the final cost of white on the regular side won't matter.

Have a restful Memorial Day- a bitter-sweet "holiday" for sure.

Here's a random pic circa 1989 from Lejeune- when I jumped from the trees into a ginormous pile of leaves we had to rake up in a work party.

Thank you to all who served, and to all who still serve. Be safe.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The devil is in the details to get angelic results, or so I'm told.

These were rougher than I thought. 50 plus years of who knows what kind of paint hid quite a few surprises.

Almost ready for final sand!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Whew, I wanted to get done last night so I could put her together today- but, well, you know, "best laid plans...".

I opted to use one of my WO tailgates:

Now she just needs to cure. It's currently 90 degrees, so she should cure just fine.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

One of them?:) that's a sweet gate;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Lol, yeah. I have an odd habit of buying tailgates and truck fenders whenever they pop up for sale.

I finally bolted everything back together today!

Yeah, at dusk and with a tarp, but it's done. I should be taking her to a few places tomorrow to haul a few bulky items, so I get to see how well it's all balanced.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

How did the tow go?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

It went really well!

I loaded it up and it tows really well. I'll be adding adjustable brackets to the inside to maximize the storage space when needed. But this last weekend I loaded it up to the max and aside front a squeaking noise from the Dana 53, it was flawless. I can't wait to swap in the actual trailer axle.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

It's back to the truck. My bed floor! I've been waiting for this one a long time- 2 years?

I finally whittled the Fleetside bed down to stepside proportions, cut and ground off-down all the bits n pieces and
she's almost ready for installation! Maybe tomorrow. I'll throw on some weld thru primer on the back of the bed floor where it sets on the truck bed frame supports before spot welding it in place. First, I have to weld up the holes from the factory mounts and whatever else was drilled into the bed from the old logger who used his jeep and clearly loved it as he bought it brand new on Christmas Eve 1965 from a local dealership.

Edit:

A few nips and tucks were required to get a proper fit- better than cutting to much!

I miscalculated the old steel's warping. I had to place a few hundred pounds of weights all along the edges to get it to sit properly. So I'll give it time to conform under weight.

While that process starts, I'll mark the spots that will need to be drilled out for Rosette Welds. The frame underneath is 16" on center all the way up and down the bed, so I'll be marking, drill and welding for a bit.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

I am glad the axle swap is over. I reinforced the jack stands and whatnot and had my son watch the whole swap so he could dial 9II if it fell on me. I guess I am still super skittish after the panel accident 19 months ago.

She's on and I am about to take it on a test drive with the wrangler. I need to do three things to complete it in it's current "final" form: 1) mod the back door handle to work (it's stripped out), 2) rework the bumper ends to fit into the rear of the fenders and bolt them onto the fenders like factory, 3) attach shock mounts to the axle so it isn't crazy bouncy.

Edit:

Wow, what a difference all the way around! Well worth the effort to swap. Can't wait to have it loaded up and really test it out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would be skittish after that happening too :) Looks great!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, it wasn't fun and I still hate being under rigs- even for oil changes. Haha, live and learn.

Thanks! It sits over two inches lower due to taking out the PO's 1" homemade lift blocks and the difference in the axle tubes. The trailer is not quite at factory ride height due to the extra overload springs the PO put on the pack to haul more wood n stuff. I left the all the springs in place.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I finally scored a set of fender emblems I've been on the hunt for about the last month, or so.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

Arggh. Angle iron through the sidewall!

Edit:

Time to put the full sized spare on.

I'll be without a spare I guess. These are 16.5" rims, and they're kinda obsolete. A replacement tire is going to be pricy. I guess I'll start saving for some custom steelies from Stockton Wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

One more thing crossed off the list; new shocks on the truck bed trailer. The springs are so stout, it probably did not need them, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.