1983 Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
alanzona

1983 Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Post by alanzona »

I have been looking for a FSJ for about 4 months. My Ultra4 4500 class race car is awesome, but not very practical when it comes to gear, family, weather, and comfort. I've had a YJ, TJ, XJ, and custom Race buggy, so a FSJ seemed like a good idea.

I've done tons of research lately and driven everything from a sick 1966 Wagoneer to a not so sick 1979 Chief and everything in between. I had a great idea of price, condition, restoration, etc...

Then it happened.

I was surfing Craigslist when I saw a 1983 Jeep Grand Wagoneer pop up for $600. Yep. $600. I knew this one was going to be a piece of crap....

... when I opened the ad, I thought it might be a scam. I looked great for it's year. I immediately texted the guy (the ad had only been up for 2 hours at this point). Basically, he had bought the Grand Waggy two years ago as a project for him and his Dad and it's just sat there. His parents had moved back East and they never got around to it. He had it loaded up on the U-Haul trailer and was about to leave town when he discovered his little truck couldn't pull it, especially all the way across country. He was forced to sell it or abandoned it because he HAD to leave the following morning for the East Coast. The engine runs, but the transmission is spotty. He didn't know if it was the torque converter or what, so he priced it to move. I figured "What the hell. Even if it's junk, I can turn it for at least $2000 based on what I've been researching. This is too good of a deal to pass up."

Texting him, he said he couldn't hold the FSJ and that several people wanted to come up in the morning, that is was first come first serve. This was at 9 PM at night. I asked him how late he would be up. He said "as late as I need to". I grabbed the truck and drove to Mesa to get my trailer from LROR. I called Bob along the way and he graciously agreed to go with me. A.) I needed the company to stay awake, B.) I didn't know how much pushing would be required to get it off his trailer and onto my trailer, and C.) having an awesome He-Man who open carries with you on a midnight cash transaction in Prescott is ALWAYS a great idea. Bob and I got to Prescott at 1 AM.

The neighborhood was nice and not sketchy (which made me feel better) and the guy turned out to be a clean-cut 20 something with a couple of his friends. They were duly impressed with Bob. LOL. We did the deal and loaded the Grand on my trailer. It actually drove onto the trailer with no pushing. It's spotty and definitely needs the trans looked at, but it isn't cooked. It may be as simply as a torque converter or just fluid. Too soon to tell, but I'm optimistic. The engine is the AMC V8 360 and the trans is the Chrysler 727. Woot Woot!

After we loaded, we pulled under the lights of a 24 hour gas station and started to look. It kinda blew my mind. I think I've got an actual "barn find" in this one. I'll post pics in the next thread, but it's pretty amazing (especially for $600 bucks!!!). All the chrome is there. The body is in great shape (no rust, no dents), the interior is COMPLETE! All the knobs, the leather is dirty but in great shape (no tears or anything), all of the carpet is there with no stains (including the rear storage area side panels), it has the original radio and floor mats, there is no rust on the frame... basically it's in great condition for it's age, just dirty, yet 100% complete - even the original rims!

My favorite part was the next morning when I was looking at the title. In 2008 it had 48,000 original miles. As of today, it has 69,146 miles. Unreal. This has completely changed my plans for the FSJ. I was originally hoping to just get a mechanically sound high mileage FSJ and then start redoing everything (rip the carpet out, do new door panels, paint and do custom graphics, etc...), but now I'm going to restore this to as close to original as possible (although I will be doing a mild 4" lift and putting 33's on it - see pic below). Paint is in really good shape for an 83 (I'll need to get it repainted, but it's not horrible as is) and the wood panel siding is toast (would need to remove and replace anyway).

So all in all, I'm stoked and excited to start this build / restoration.

Here is the past (an original ad from 1983 for this exact model and trim package):

Here is the condition she is today, the day after I bought her, without being touched (pine cone on the roof rack still intact!):

Here is my vision for her (mild lift, bigger tires, but interior and exterior restored to factory - ignore the roof rack on this photo):

Last edited by alanzona on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
alanzona

Re: 1983 Grand Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Post by alanzona »

Original 15" rims and center caps

All chrome is complete, including the window jams:

The dash is in good shape and it has factory air:

All of the original knobs and switches are intact and attached (this was pretty rare on the ones I had looked at previously)

69,146 actual original miles!

The entire interior is dirty, but complete - even the rear carpeted body panels are intact and in good shape

No rust on the car, including the roof (these are known to leak around the roof rack and develop rust marks)

Will certainly need a tune up, but it's the AMC 360 V8 engine

The door panels are complete with no rips or tears.

Front grill / bumper ar in great shape and 100% complete

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

I picked up a new battery and all the stuff for a tune up last week (filters, fluids, plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc...).

Victory: The rear window rolls up and down perfectly. This was a big issue in many of the ones I looked at, so I was excited that it worked so good. A couple of the windows need the little plastic strap that connects the window to the motor replaced, but all the motors work. Another win.

Since I could drop the back window and open the rear gate, I started clearing out all of the crap. Evidently, I have a spare door. All of the missing door handle pieces were in the back. Once the crap was cleared out, I vacuumed it out. It not a full detail by any means but even just vacuuming it reinforces that it's going to be a great restoration project.

The rear seat is a full tumble forward; all the carpet is there and still no stains; all four original floor mats are there; the 1983 radio works great (but could use an amp, a sub, and new speakers… LOL)

Later this week I'll tackle the tune up and then I’ll tackle the transmission and see if I can get it driving or if a Transmission shop is in my future.

All the crap in the back:

I lifted the rear seat, and except for a small tear (that's easily repairable), it's in great shape too:

I vacuumed out the the carpet. Made a world of difference. I'll detail it after it's mechanically sound and drives.
Here are the passenger areas:

The rear deck. First is seat in normal position, 2nd is with the seat tumbled all the way forward. It also removes completely.

Also, here is a 1983 review from motorweek. It cracked me up.

[video]https://youtu.be/g0RV2QG3nPk[/video]

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Cool. The tune up went well. She runs great and starts right up. I do need to adjust the idle, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. LOL.

I changed the plugs, wires, distributor, air filter, and fuel filter, clean the carb and linkage, drain the gas that was in it and put in new gas, and added a fuel system cleaner additive designed for carbs.

I still need clean everything really good with degreaser, then change the oil and filter, plus service the transmission. Probably wouldn't hurt to flush the transmission as well.

Victory: The fuel gage works! Again, a common area of failure when people buy these. Kinda happy.

I have to admit, though... with most of my V8 experience being with my race car 500 HP LQ9 and the 3" straight pipes off the header, the Waggy didn't sound quite the same. ;-)

Also cool. I found the vacuum leak that was keeping it from idling, so now it starts, runs, and idles fine (could use some adjusting, but that's just fine tuning). I put it in gear and drove around the block. It only has 1st gear and reverse, but it moves under its own power. From what I'm reading, this might be a linkage issue. I'm going to tackle the linkage later today and see if I can get it to kick down. If not, the original plan was to always take it to a transmission shop and have them check it out. Plenty of fluid, no strange noises... just won't shift to 2nd. Oh, the brakes work too. Good thing. ;-)

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Soap and water... and amazing combination.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

I also removed the headliner today. It was super easy. I'm surprised that there wasn't a decent write up on it that was easily accessible, so I'll do an official write in the write up section. Im so excited it is super clean underneath. No water marks, no rust, no repairs... the headliner board itself is in good shape (just dirty), so the next step is to re-cover it with new headliner material (still in discussion as to how factory or how custom we're going to go...) and re-install.

One school of thought was to use wood slats as the headliner (very cool look in the new 2015 Chief concept car), another is factory replacement headliner material, but a third is to use something non-factory, but still material based (NO, we will not being the super trendy / Michael D'Avy / Hipster plaid...). There are choices that are more of a leather look or fabric or... "whatever" is the discussion (snake skin was completely shot down...). Tons to choose from and I've seen some really good rest-mods online.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Ok. So I tackled the headliners today. All in all, with an extra pair of hands (my son, in this case), it's not a bad project at all.

I bought some vinyl / leather looking material at JoAnn's fabric. The color is similar to the seats, but a little more on the brown side. I wanted to tone down the rust/orange colors and bring it more to the tan / brown side. I chose the vinyl because it was easy to work with and easy to clean. The material was $18 a yard. You only need 3 yards, but I got 4 yards so I would have extra for other projects. With a 25% off coupon, total in material was $60. I also got 3 cans of the 3M 80 adhesive that is for headliners. Great stuff, but it's about $15 a can. Sprays in the spider web pattern, covered evenly, and didn't soak through the material. Very happy with it.

The headliner board had the old crap on it from the foam of the old headliner material. I used a stiff tire brush that I typically use when washing the cars and it brushed right off. Took about an hour to do both sections (with beer breaks, of course). The board was nice and smooth afterwards.

Talking to Daniel Avis and others, it was suggested I put insulation above the headliner while I had it all apart... especially here in AZ, for the heat / water barrier / sound dampener. I picked up flexible 3.0R board (foil side is down in this picture, up on the install picture), cut it to size in my handy dandy driveway work space, and mounted it between the beams on the ceiling.

I laid out the material and cut it to size, leaving about 2 - 3 inches overhang on all sides. The wind was blowing, so I clamped it down in prep for glueing.

Everything I read said to do one half at a time, so I put the clamps in the middle, covered the other half, and started spraying the 3M adhesive. I sprayed the board side, then the material side, and let them both sit for about 2 minutes to get good and tacky. My son and I each took a corner and slowly smoothed out the surface, applying pressure so that the adhesive stuck, but not so much pressure that the glue bled through the material.

Here is the final product of the front section (after installation, we flipped it over, glued the edges to the back, and using an exacto knife, cut slices in the holes so we could fold the material back and glue it in place. All the openings will be covered by either lights or sun visors, but we still wanted it to be nice and smooth around the openings.

Here is the back section. Same thing - we used an exacto to cut an "x" in the space where the holes are, folded it back, and glued it. These opening are the rear dome light and the rear dome light switch. I'm going to let it cure for awhile before installing in the Wagoneer.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Cool! Got the headliner project finished today. I'm really digging the two tone look. The material cleans up easy and it looks good. Here are some cell phone pics of the finished product. I'll also be doing a full write up in the tech section.

Special shout out to my son for all his help.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Also, big shout out to OlneyJeeps, who has been super helpful over on another board helping me troubleshoot the transmission. We've eliminated a bunch of things and tomorrow I'm going to tackle the throttle linkage. From what I can see, it's come out of it's guide and not adjusting correctly. Almost all of the stuff I read on here says that will for sure dick it up, so I'm hopeful the Transmission comes to me tomorrow and that's the fix. We'll see!

Anyway, I had multiple people suggest I join this site and I have to see, so far so good! I love the community you have build here and am happy to have joined the cause!

- Alanzona

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

You are doing a good job on it. Keep us updated.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

alanzona wrote:Also, big shout out to OlneyJeeps, who has been super helpful over on another board helping me troubleshoot the transmission. We've eliminated a bunch of things and tomorrow I'm going to tackle the throttle linkage. From what I can see, it's come out of it's guide and not adjusting correctly. Almost all of the stuff I read on here says that will for sure dick it up, so I'm hopeful the Transmission comes to me tomorrow and that's the fix. We'll see!

Anyway, I had multiple people suggest I join this site and I have to see, so far so good! I love the community you have build here and am happy to have joined the cause!

- Alanzona
Bout time you found us. Lookin good. Yep, Steve is good people.
Drink more Water

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome from a fellow VJC member. You are going to like our little corner of the web.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

will e wrote:Welcome from a fellow VJC member. You are going to like our little corner of the web.
Thanks guys. You were both so helpful on the VJC, I HAD to join over here! Very cool place. Looking forward to getting lost in here.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Ok. Transmission update:

I mentioned earlier that on of the vertical rods on the transmission linkage wasn't in the guide. it's the throttle valve linkage (I circled where it wasn't connected in the diagram below), so it would move, but not actually turn the throttle valve lever. I took out the bolts on the bracket, put the rod back in the hole, and started to test.

Right off the bat, I noticed the shift lever on the column was more firm and actually lined up with the letters / numbers on the steering column indicator. I took off down the road, and it shift from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd! Woot Woot! I was pretty excited. It hadn't hit 3rd yet, so this was a step in the right direction. I got a little cocky and decided to drive it up to the gas station to fill it up with fuel. A little over halfway there, it started slipping really bad, then wouldn't engage. I turned it off, let it sit for awhile, then it would engage, go for a bit, then start slipping and eventually stop again.

Since it has ran, I checked the fluid with the car running while in neutral on level ground. STILL shows full (even though it keeps acting like it's low on fluid). My next step (for this weekend's project), is to drop the pan, change the filter, and adjust the bands (both front and rear). We'll see if that gets her going.

I gotta say, though... it was quite the thrill cruising down the road in my $600 FSJ. LOL. I can see daylight! It's really fun to be learning new things while working on this rig. Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful.

will e

Post by will e »

If you are going to drop the pan anyways get one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3 ... /overview/

Search around, there are better deals. It fits, gives you a little more fluid capacity and can help make sure you are not starving the tranny when wheel'n. I must admit, it's not really an issue with our rigs but the little bit extra for the money can't hurt.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Ok... even I know this isn't right. LOL.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXYUhXBaGAw

Update: Yep. It’s the tube from the pump to the throttle body. Good times. Jerry Sparks (Sun Transmissions / Sparks Pro Racing Transmissions) came over to look at it today. In looking at it, there are a couple of other wonky things going on in there (it looks like someone had it apart and didn't put it together correctly), so it's time for a rebuild. I was hoping it was all just adjustments and such, but I did plan / budget for transmission work on this one, especially since the original purchase price was so low. :-)

will e

Post by will e »

The cost of the jeep Is usually the thing you spend the least on. ;) Are you going to rebuild or consider a 4 speed upgrade? The options are pretty limited if you keep the AMC engine due to the unique bell housing.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

will e wrote:The cost of the jeep Is usually the thing you spend the least on. ;) Are you going to rebuild or consider a 4 speed upgrade? The options are pretty limited if you keep the AMC engine due to the unique bell housing.
I want to rebuild to keep it as close to original as possible. This isn't going to be a crawler. My buggy is for that.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

There was a lot of clutch material and some other shavings in the pan... I'm going to err on the side of caution and just rebuild it (especially since a retainer bolt is missing on one of the flap things back by the rear adjuster... it just swings freely and it shouldn't. No telling what was or was not put back incorrectly when the last guy had it apart.

will e

Post by will e »

Whoa, yeah, I would rebuild that too. Do you have a good guy locally? A four speed with an OD would be good to have but it is an expensive conversion.

I struggled with doing a 4 speed or not. I finally decided to just go with a 4 speed transfer case instead and keep some taller axle gears.