1983 Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

az chip

Re: 1983 Grand Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Post by az chip »

I think I saw that Waggy on the AZ craigslist ! Nice! Where are you in PHX? I am on the east side and just picked up a 81 Cherokee. Look forward to sharing some ideas maybe.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Man, that headliner looks awesome, you did a great job bringing it back to life in resto-mod form.

Any tips? I'm about to try something precisely similar. I have a 73 wag wth the suspended bow style headliner that is blown out completely. I am going to pick up the side tracks, trim pieces, and headliner board from a late 70's wag and install it all in mine until I can afford the spendy vinyl bow replacement.

I am not sure if i am going tpo use vinyl or cloth or even just paint the boards.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Curly

Post by Curly »

Just found this thread, I saw the ad as well. I felt kind of sick since I had just bought a Chief in the Prescott area a couple of weeks before. Paid more than $600. LOL.
Nice job on the headliner.

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Hey guys, thanks!

As far as advise on the headliner: go slow so you don't damage or bend the cardboard parts too much and also realize that you can remove that center strip that holds the two together. That makes it so much easier, LOL.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

az chip wrote:I think I saw that Waggy on the AZ craigslist ! Nice! Where are you in PHX? I am on the east side and just picked up a 81 Cherokee. Look forward to sharing some ideas maybe.
I'm on the west side near 51st ave and Union Hills, but I've over east side at LetzRoll Offroad all the time. Can't wait to see your project!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Not much done yet, but come on by. pm for address.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

74cherokees1980

Post by 74cherokees1980 »

Alanzona,

Great job in first finding that rig and for under a grand. Great looking jeep. Also you got lucky with all the issues that I had when I bought my 74 Cherokee s a few years back. I don't have the wiper knob inside my jeep, my tailgate window still doesn't work to this day and has been in the down position since I bought it along with from the previous owner. And I paid 1500 for it and I've dropped 3,000 in it already and she still isn't running very good. Of all these issues though I love my FSJ and I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Yay! A couple of updates:

I picked up the FSJ from Sun Transmission today. They did a full rebuild (so clutches, bands, bushing kit, lip seals, sealing rings, 0-rings, metal clad seals, gasket set, and filter), flushed the lines, and filled her up with fluid. New torque converter was also installed as well as a new fly wheel. Evidently the fly wheel was all chunked up pretty bad.

Also, all of my lift kit parts from BJ's arrived while I was out of town. 4" lift leaf springs, drop pitman arm, extended brake lines, sway bar relocation bracket, etc... Can't wait to get that installed.

I think I have a set of 33x12.5x15 BFG's lined up. Should know more this weekend for sure.

Up next is a carb rebuild, install the lift and new tires, plus clean up and recondition the rims and the center caps. I have some interior stuff I'm in the middle of (re-stretching and re-backing the door panels, some clean up work, etc...) that needs to be buttoned up that I'll knock out this weekend.

I was able to get tags, title, and registration today, so we're good to go there.

Geoff Larson will be come by soon for the quote on repainting her. I've got new wood panels and new wood trim lined up (half of it is already here). After paint I'll try to sweet talk Mike into helping me with the new vinyl and trim).

That's all for now. I'll update later this weekend after I drive it more, but so far so good!

MadMax78

Re: 1983 Wagoneer restoration project (AZ)

Post by MadMax78 »

Awersome Wag. You stole that one. You are doing a great job on it. I like the headliner idea. Will have to steal that one for the Cherokee. Any more updates?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

I had a little free time this weekend, so I worked on some cosmetic stuff on the Fool Size.

All of the rims are original rims, but they are nicked, worn, and well.... 30 years old.

So, I decided to repaint and recondition them (including the tarnished and worn center caps). In addition to being warn, they were also pretty dirty.

They cleaned up pretty nice, but still weren't at the level I wanted to take the Jeep overall.

After cleaning them really well, I hit them with Winter Grey rattle can.

After drying, I taped up the front of the rim so I could paint the insets. Taping was kind of a pain in the ass, so for the other 4 rims, I'll make a template to cover the entire rim and leave the insets open for painting. This rim was a "proof of concept" project.

I hit the insets with a dark grey Hammered finish for some texture as well as the color difference.

After removing the tape, I am happy with the contrast in both color and texture.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

Next up were the center caps. As typical a 30+ year old vehicle, they were weather worn and kinda beat.

Step 1 was a good chrome polish and general cleaning.

After cleaning, my awesome daughter tackled the job of hand painting them with enamel model paint.

This is one coat. After checking it out the next day, we'll need to do two coats before hitting the final product with a clear coat.

The before and after shot.

Here is the cleaned up center cap with the repainted rims. Very happy with the output. Wrap these in 33's and I'm good to go!

Compared to the center cap I haven't done yet, it's night and day. This will compliment the new paint, wood, and trim nicely.

Up for today is more mundane stuff like a fuel pump, some more interior work, and continuing to replace damn vacuum hoses. The lift kit has arrived and I've gotten my 33x12.5x15's, so in the next few weeks we will lift her and get her ready for final paint and new wood / wood trim.

glake

Post by glake »

Rims look great!
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nice job!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

will e

Post by will e »

That looks really good. Let me know when you are doing the lift. I have a busy holiday season at work but if I can I will drop by and help out.

Also, I have some really big jack stands if you want to borrow them.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

will e wrote:That looks really good. Let me know when you are doing the lift. I have a busy holiday season at work but if I can I will drop by and help out.

Also, I have some really big jack stands if you want to borrow them.

Thanks brother. Knocking it out this Friday/Saturday at the LetzRoll shop after hours (and Saturday morning). God I love a good lift. haha.

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

We got the 4" BJ's Offroad lift installed this weekend as well as the BFG 33x12.5x15's. No trimming needed. It's too early to give a full verdict, but my early impressions are that this lift kit is killer. High quality product, fairly easy to install, and it rides smooth. I still need to add new shocks, so I've not pushed it.

We also knocked out a drop pitman arm as well as some other service items (such as new brake pads and rotors up front). Super big thanks to Andrew McLaughlin, Jason Hurst, Shawn Smith, Bob McNeeley, Ty Ude, Matt Hinitt, Mike Bradley, Tim Demery, and Antonio Grijalva for pitching in periodically this weekend and helping! What a fun time.

Before photo - side view at stock height and stock tires.

After photo - side view with 4" lift and 33x12.5 tires:

Before photo - corner view at stick height and stock tires

After photo - corner view with 4" lift and 33x12.5 tires:

Here are a couple of more angles after the lift for different perspectives:

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Awesome thread! Great work so far. Typical FSJ that the jeep was the cheapest part to buy...
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

THAT is one hell of a score. Certainly beats my $600 find in every way. Great work and thread keep it coming!
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
alanzona

Post by alanzona »

I am so far behind on my updates... lol. Sorry.

let me get my head around everything I've done and I'll post up this weekend. She's going off to paint today!

cre8ivshade

Post by cre8ivshade »

Great to see! I'm at 15th Ave and Union Hills.. picked up my 80 Waggy for $600 a few years ago. I am working on installing a Broncos tank on the back end.
Vinyl headliner looks great!! Any trouble with it wanting to sag with heat and weight?
Steve O has helped me too. Great guy!! Keep posting!!