My new FSJ 1980 J10

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Beanpatch

My new FSJ 1980 J10

Post by Beanpatch »

I have been scanning the forums for a few weeks and decided to share my J10, but I'm not sure it is in the right place. It seems that nearly everybody on here has been able to find a rust-free FSJ that only needed a battery to drive home, and the owner gave it to them just to be rid of it :shock: LOL .
I had no such luck. :banghead: Image
When I found my J10, it had been sitting for 15 years, with only 15,000 original miles on it. ImageBut the first 20 years of it's life as a farm truck took quite a toll on it. On the plus side, there is no rust in the floorboards or anywhere on the cab for that matter. IN fact, overall, the body is really solid. But leaving grain in the bed of the truck for 15 years gave the rust monster quite a treat when it came to the bed :( . The main ribbing is still intact, but all the flat pieces on the sides are gone. Just a good opportunity to learn to weld I guess :D
According to the neighbor, the old fella who had the Jeep couldn't see very well, so he left the tailgate down all the time and just used it to determine when he had backed up far enough. Parking by sound is what my father-in-law calls it :cry: Image
But I am hopeful and excited to get started working on it. I've had an assortment of Jeeps over the years (CJ7, Scrambler, Willys wagon) but this is my first FSJ. Thanks for all the help and encouragement you have given me already on this project!
Last edited by Beanpatch on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
TinkerTruck - 1980 J10 with ONLY 15,000 miles (and 15 years of sitting)

twisted frame

Re: My new FSJ 1980 J10

Post by twisted frame »

Looks like a fine starting point to me! Have you tried to start it yet? What drivetrain?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

so where are you?
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Beanpatch

Post by Beanpatch »

To be clear, I hold no grudge against those of you smart enough to NOT live firmly in the Rust Belt! I love reading the stories of these machines, it is inspiring to hear that they are still out there. :-bd
I am in Southeast Ohio, the foothills of the Appalachias. Where they start putting salt on the roads in October and don't stop until April! :cry:
My J10 has the 360 with the 727 automatic. I have been able to get it started, and even move under its own power for a almost 300 yards :D . As far as I can tell, it is all original. It was a one owner truck and I still have the original title. He lived about 3 miles from the Jeep dealership, so it looks like he had all the service done there.
TinkerTruck - 1980 J10 with ONLY 15,000 miles (and 15 years of sitting)

az chip

Post by az chip »

No grudges. What is not rusted out here in the west is melted! So we all have our little geographical issues to deal with! Congrats on the find. Did you get a good deal? Oh, we need interior pics!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.