New guy from the Calgary area

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Immortalxj

New guy from the Calgary area

Post by Immortalxj »

Hey guys, and gals,
Figgered I'd register since I've been creeping the site for a while. Got a few posts on the other site too!
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=173863

T
Jeeps.... more addictive than crack. Probably more expensive too.

will e

Re: New guy from the Calgary area

Post by will e »

Welcome from Phoenix. My better half is from Bowden.

From your ifsja posts. The rear glass stuck down. There is a safety switch on the driver side of the tail gate. Make sure it isn't stuck/broken.
Also, there is a wiring harness near the rear bumper. With this removed you can hot wire around the front switch. There is no easy way to hot wire around the rear switch.
The window channel is held in place by a couple of clips. These can be pried off with a screw driver and a lot of cussing. I ended up destroying mine. Once removed you can move the window by hand and get at the motor and the rest of the wires. My issue was one of the wires at the motor harness had come out. Simple fix. WHile I was in there I greased it all up. I used C clips in place of the factory style clips when I put the window back together. They seem to work.

BTW, the window can be removed when it is not clipped in. Takes a little finesse and if you can have the wife help.

The side channels are available (BJ's or other places). Go ahead an replace them. Totally worth the money.

Welcome to the forum and FSJ ownership. I want to thank you for saving that nice old jeep.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Immortalxj

Post by Immortalxj »

I'll hopefully be able to rip into it this weekend. Being an A/C tech + 30°C weather doesn't leave me a lot of free time.

Not gonna lie... pulling up to the house and parking in front of the Chief makes me smile like a 12 year old.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

My son Bill says hi from West Edmonchuck!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Immortalxj wrote:I'll hopefully be able to rip into it this weekend. Being an A/C tech + 30°C weather doesn't leave me a lot of free time.

Not gonna lie... pulling up to the house and parking in front of the Chief makes me smile like a 12 year old.
That's a symptom of major FSJ fever! :D
Welcome!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Immortalxj

Post by Immortalxj »

A little more progress today.

It was the window safety switch that was giving me issues. Cleaned up the terminals, checked for continuity. Nada. Switch is done. Bypassed it, the motor moved it up a little.... 4". Down/up several times, and a lot of silicone spray lube on every moving part I could get at and it will move on its own again. Drained the battery playing around with it, but it went up right before a downpour. Lucky me!

Are the safety switches available anymore?

When I got the chief I found $4.27 in the ashtray, and a door light switch. Amazingly enough I was able to see, and fish the wiring out of the driver's door. Cleaned the switch up, and installed. Dome light now comes on when the drivers door is open. Next will be to figure out why the passenger side switch won't turn on the dome light.

Relocated the after market tach from the steering column to right under the manual choke lever. I would like to put it under the glove box, but it started pouring again, and I wasn't in the mood to get soaked for a 3rd time. Its going to require re-fishing wiring.

will e

Post by will e »

I don't know if the safety switch is available or not but I can tell you don't leave it by passed. I almost bypassed mine figuring I would always 'know' if the tailgate was up or down and one day I tried to raise the window and nothing happened. I got out and the gate was down. Whew!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Immortalxj

Post by Immortalxj »

Agreed. I'm a big fan of leaving safeties in the circuit. They're usually there for a reason....

Passenger side door light switch is fixed. Bad ground. Cleaned 'er up and working beautifully. Although the light emitted from that single bulb is pretty pathetic.

Topic author
Immortalxj

Post by Immortalxj »

Well boys, and girls..... buy stocks in PB Blaster, electrical contact cleaner, and dielectric grease...... this ol' girl is eating it up. WOW!!!