1979 Cherokee Chief Golden Eagle

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
CosmicRhino

1979 Cherokee Chief Golden Eagle

Post by CosmicRhino »

Hello fellow Jeepsters.

This weekend I acquired my first FSJ from Idaho Falls, Idaho. 1979 Cherokee Chief Golden Eagle AMC 360 with 145,000 original miles. Drove it back to Boise without much issue, aside from a going-bad headlight switch that caused the headlights to flicker off and on randomly at 80 mph on the freeway after 20 minutes or so of use...

Anyhow, here are a few pictures.

will e

Re: 1979 Cherokee Chief Golden Eagle

Post by will e »

Greetings and welcome from Phoenix.

I like it! I like it a lot. The golden eagle package just screams the 80's. Looks like a good solid platform you got there.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Thanks Will! It seems to be pretty rust free from what I can tell. Just a few electrical issues, brakes need work, fuel tank could probably use some cleaning as it sat for a long time, carb needs tuned, that kind of stuff. I'll post some more pictures with the carpet pulled back and would be interested in opinions on that..

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Looks nice. Must have dual fuel tanks? And if you have two FSJ's, you suck.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

The wagoneer with wood paneling belongs to the CEO of the company I work at.. I just decided to park next to his when I got to work ;)

It does have dual fuel tanks, though there is a problem with the transfer linkage so only one tank is active at the moment. I think just more electrical problems. Everything needs disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Well, I've happened to score a rhino grill for $50 off Ebay.. Not exactly, er, straight... Which is why it was so cheap! We'll see what can be done with a bit of TLC. Maybe it will eventually become a bit of wall art if I stumble into a nicer one.

Anybody want the grill/headlights/grill protector bars that are pictured in my original post?? Also, does anybody have the headlights and pie pans that I'll need for the rhino conversion?

Polarfire

Post by Polarfire »

Nice looking GE! Just my opinion but I wouldn't put the Rhino grill on it, it just doesn't look right. Plus it will pay off in the long run to keep it more original. I think the pignose is awesome!

nitoh

Post by nitoh »

Polarfire wrote:Nice looking GE! Just my opinion but I wouldn't put the Rhino grill on it, it just doesn't look right. Plus it will pay off in the long run to keep it more original. I think the pignose is awesome!
I agree!!!

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

What do you mean by just doesn't look right?

I don't think that anything has ever looked more right. That thing is a '79 cherokee chief too.

Pignose is a cheap piece of plastic that's all peely and flimsy... I prefer solid shiny chrome over plastic. Sorry! The pignose has become hanging art in my garage. You can have it if you like :-bd

Polarfire

Post by Polarfire »

Nope, just doesn't look right. Very out of proportion to have a big box of a truck with a thin little nose. I know I'm probably in the minority but it looks like a Michael Jackson nose to me. Pignose is best but a muscle is close second.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re:

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Polarfire wrote:Nope, just doesn't look right. Very out of proportion to have a big box of a truck with a thin little nose. I know I'm probably in the minority but it looks like a Michael Jackson nose to me. Pignose is best but a muscle is close second.
^^^THIS^^^
We need to start a save the piggy page
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

I like my pig nose too. Although I like bobbies better. I'm not a huge fan of the rhino either, maybe we are all jusy weird....

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

That's a nice ride for sure. A muscle grill, or a razor does seem to fit better- or da pig in a pinch.

74cherokees1980

Post by 74cherokees1980 »

CosmicRhino,

Nice rig. Very jealous that you found a great looking golden eagle. Very hard to find, especially in the condition yours is in. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74cherokees1980

Post by 74cherokees1980 »

CosmicRhino I also agree with you on the rhino grille. I love it and I think the pig nose was the worst grille jeep came out with for the fsj's. Cheap crappy plastic, what were they thinking??? I do love my razor grill on my Cherokee s though.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I keep my pig nose just to be contrary. :D I do like the razor best.

sent from my MotoX
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Re:

Post by CosmicRhino »

Polarfire wrote:Nope, just doesn't look right. Very out of proportion to have a big box of a truck with a thin little nose. I know I'm probably in the minority but it looks like a Michael Jackson nose to me. Pignose is best but a muscle is close second.
Wait a second, how is the Pignose not the Michael Jackson nose grill :lol:

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

66stepside wrote:That's a nice ride for sure. A muscle grill, or a razor does seem to fit better- or da pig in a pinch.
It's about 50/50 for me on razor and rhino as the two best grills for an FSJ.

I prefer round headlights with chrome trim rings over the square lights so that's part of my motivation for the rhino.

but for all you pig nose lovers, I've got that grill just hanging in the garage if anyone ends up needing it.

fedexmonster2004

Post by fedexmonster2004 »

Needle in a haystack, sweet find, KEEP it stock, to many are chopping theses rare oldies up! Great truck

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Polarfire wrote:Nice looking GE! Just my opinion but I wouldn't put the Rhino grill on it, it just doesn't look right. Plus it will pay off in the long run to keep it more original. I think the pignose is awesome!
nitoh wrote:
I agree!!!
HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:
^^^THIS^^^
We need to start a save the piggy page
hutcho wrote:I like my pig nose too. Although I like bobbies better. I'm not a huge fan of the rhino either, maybe we are all jusy weird....
66stepside wrote:That's a nice ride for sure. A muscle grill, or a razor does seem to fit better- or da pig in a pinch.
shimniok wrote:I keep my pig nose just to be contrary. :D I do like the razor best.

sent from my MotoX
Well dissenters, here you go! Sorry? Now I've done it just to be contrary :D

Weird thing is, all we did is swap a rhino grill in; didn't touch anything else yet all of a sudden the engine bay went from this

to this!

I tell you what, those rhino grills are worth their weight in gold.