1981 Cherokee S 4 door

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
dandtpitts

1981 Cherokee S 4 door

Post by dandtpitts »

Hi to all, my wife Tina and myself, Dave, have had our SJ for a while now, was in excellent condition when we purchased it but was on gas and petrol, dopey bullbar, messy side steps and other add ons. After a good clean up of useless items and an engine rebuild its an excellent driver which will easily beat my V8 WJ up to 160 KPH, 100 mph. It came with a 350 Chev ex Comaro engine, 727, manual transfer case dana 44 and amc 20 diffs and all we have really done is service everything once the motor was done.

1981 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 4 Door Wagon
SJ

Vehicle came with documented history from 1998
and included receipts for parts and work done,
including engine swap, Auto rebuild and shift kit,
LP gas system fitting, custom lambswool seat covers, Paint and panel (BMW colour) Dakar yellow
blacksmith for spring resetting, accident reports for insurance work
and all rego slips amongst other things.

Purchase price was $14,000 au

Fitted with Cragar Mag minilite wheels and Timberline tyres, from ?????

350 Chev V8, 4 bolt mains,

Fuellie double Hump heads'

High compression pistons,

Holley 750 on Holley Street Dominator manifold,

Cam racing type unknown grind,

Manley roller rockers with Valve guides and lash caps

MSD distributor,

On Gas and Petrol

Chrysler 727 auto with shift kit and adapter to small block Chevrolet

4WD

Dana 44 front differential

AMC20 rear diff

with Koni adjustable shocks all round (rebuildable shock absorbers)

Power Steering

Disc brake front, drum brakes rear

Lowered spring height 2inch

The side steps were removed as the mounts collected mud sand and crap and the steps simply looked wrong,
The Bullbar though functional blocked sight of the front indicators and also looked crap, both were removed.

Repairs

Our first problem was simply a fuel bowl float sinking and had been a problem for a while but easily fixed once found.
Then the rear left axle shaft decided to part company on the highway, no damage apart from a very bent axle, found a replacement at a wreckers at Hervey Bay and had both side rear bearings replaced.
Problem was that a repair documented by the previous owner had mixed up the seal and bearing combination, greased and/or oiled bearings are available. No inner seal for an oiled bearing !!
The Jeep had always been tricky when changing from fuel to LP gas and once the float was fixed it became plain that the situation was worse ?
Turns out that a 4 barrel carb with a rear float chamber that retains petrol and dumps it into the LP gas flow under acceleration is not safe on the highway until fully cleared of petrol
Strike one against LP gas.
Strike two, we live in a country town too small for a petrol station and the nearest gas is over 35 k away.
Then the first occurrence of a failed MSD type distributor.
Poor performance and poor fuel economy was next and traced to collapsed mufflers, both mufflers and resonators change to free flow type.

Then while on gas a valve spring broke at 100 kph and when we slowed down a backfire occurred that put a dent in the bonnet with the air cleaner fastener.
Strike three and out goes the LP gas tank.
After due consideration we rebuilt the top end of the motor to take advantage of the performance available.

Started with

350 Chev 4 bolt mains block, checked casting number and is correct for a performance engine or a HD truck.
High compression pistons
Fuellie double hump heads, old school high performance,
Manley Roller rockers with Lash caps, same as 265 hemi 6. Check out E49 Charger from Aust.

New
Holley 600 CFM on a super sucker spacer sitting on an Edelbrock Air Gap Performer Manifold
Camshaft Heatseaker stage 2/3 power grind, a nod to Rob, Lawnton Autobarn for research, advice and sourcing some bits. We chased torque over Horsepower, and it worked.
Valve springs
Lifters
Pushrods
Lash caps
Dbl row timing Chain set
Water pump
Alternator
Hoses, thermostat and housing and all the gaskets sealants and oils etc

After the work was complete, the power and economy improvement was great and while being used to tow a car on a car trailer, the Jeep had power to burn up hill, used no oil.
The Gas system was completely removed at this time.
Shortly after while tuning another MSD type distributor failed,
The third Distributor failure and I replaced the MSD type with a Magnetic pick up type, same power as MSD.
Rewiring the distributor circuit I found that the old circuit had been on 9v all of the time causing the MSD failures as they require 12 after starting.
During the rebuild the air con was removed, (dash unit left in for future use) the air con condenser was rotted and the system used the old gas and would have been useless on the new gas. A new system will be fitted when $ are available.
Meanwhile much of the wiring added since 1981 has been removed and a general tidy up of the engine bay has been done. Wire wrapping is awaiting a dual battery system, I will hide a gel cell in the back.
New

Old

The fuel tank metal support was rusty and the fuel tank etc was removed and the coffin rebuilt. Fuel tank cleaned and all lines flushed.
I have fitted a pair of Old school Lucas horns from the 60s, remember when you could pull them apart and adjust the tone, with a high tone air horn the Jeep now has a horn to rival the exhaust.
The CD player in the dash being a new cheap looking unit has been replaced with an 8 track player.
Inserting any 8 track cartridge activates a switch that powers up an amplifier under the drivers seat that receives music from any Bluetooth source .
speakers were replaced with Boston 5.5LF's
Some interior items have been source via Ebay such as new window winder handles $7 each.
As my other car is also a Jeep WJ V8, I couldn't keep them on the road at local part prices
Thank goodness for Ebay.

Next on the job list is the channel that holds the glass in the tailgate, swollen by rust and so catches.
Some small body rust bubbles that were present on purchase are next on the list, kept at bay by wax and WD40.
prev owner had kept a label from the paint he used so matching should be simple.
Dakar Gold paint code 267

That catches up with Nov 2014.
PS, the SJ would easily beat my WJ (4.7, Chipped, exhaust mod and cold air intake), but dont tell Tina, I told her its built to cruise. She may react like ^$^$%$
Last edited by dandtpitts on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad used to have one of those

Tatsadasayago

Re: Aussie 81 Cherokee S

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Impressive!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

will e

Post by will e »

Greetings from Phoenix.

Your SJ is beautiful. The LP gas story is very interesting.

It is weird to see an engine picture with the heater box on the 'wrong' side. What is that part that appears attached to the fan for the heater?

Welcome to the site.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

will e wrote:Greetings from Phoenix.

It is weird to see an engine picture with the heater box on the 'wrong' side. What is that part that appears attached to the fan for the heater?

Welcome to the site.
That the LP Gas convertor, Mike
And yes Welcome from Arizona

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome... Image

Very nice build! :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
dandtpitts

Post by dandtpitts »

Thanks for the welcome, and yes thats the gas system, removed now.
I was trying to find out how many FSJ,s they made at the Aussie plant in Brisbane, a quote I read was that they could only assemble from kits, 60 a month of all types, even if all production in 1981 were SJ's then there were a max of 720 for 1981. A realistic figure might be 360. Quite a rare car in Oz.
This is how the engine bay looked when purchased. Was a 750 Holley on a Holley Street Dominator manifold with a racing cam, flew once revving but no pulling power.
And now 90% done

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

will e wrote:Greetings from Phoenix.

Welcome to the site.

Hey Mike so is the steering wheel :-bd

Welcome from AS, USA as well.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That is one clean FSJ!

Welcome to the network!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

mud89

Post by mud89 »

dandtpitts wrote: I was trying to find out how many FSJ,s they made at the Aussie plant in Brisbane, a quote I read was that they could only assemble from kits, 60 a month of all types, even if all production in 1981 were SJ's then there were a max of 720 for 1981. A realistic figure might be 360. Quite a rare car in Oz.
Do you have an aussie serial number ?
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
dandtpitts

Post by dandtpitts »

I cant check the serial number at present, we are in Brisbane for 2 weeks,
I have scanned all the paperwork that came with, into pdf's, I have one number which may be it
9Q18NHN160157
and elsewhere I found 9018NHN1
Good luck,
Dave

nitoh

Post by nitoh »

Welcome, nice car!

mud89

Post by mud89 »

dandtpitts wrote:I cant check the serial number at present, we are in Brisbane for 2 weeks,
I have scanned all the paperwork that came with, into pdf's, I have one number which may be it
9Q18NHN160157
Good luck,
Dave
Ouch it's more difficult than the earlier aussie kaiser rigs.., doesn't look like a VIN, maybe some digits come from the original US VIN though : "18" : cherokee 4 doors, N : V8 360 2V, H : auto RHD, and Maybe 157 is a SN related to production..??

ps : an aussie VIN example for a '84 cherokee : 6JANB18UXED001443 (SN : 1443)
Last edited by mud89 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dandtpitts

Post by dandtpitts »

I will check the car when I get back, some cars are dificult, I have a 1962 XK ford falcon with 2 id plates, they made XL's here in 62 and it turns out I have a Canadian built car as a fill in for the dealers till the XL launch. Main difference was that the XK were weak in the front end for our roads and nearly all 62's had bracing added from firewall to shock towers as is my XK.
Also hard was my 62 Hillman Minx, the Brits sent Hillman Gazell's and badged them as minx's. Wont go in to the Smiths Electric Auto, still works.

Topic author
dandtpitts

Post by dandtpitts »

Just a bit more on numbers, Australian cars had body numbers, chassis numbers, engine numbers, as in my 1968 holden, none mean anything to any other number.
Jeeps were produced in Brisbane from 81 to 84, officially, some in 85 and I would guess this period had unique numbers??

66stepside

Re: 1981 Cherokee S 4 door

Post by 66stepside »

Very nice- the propane-based FSJ's show up here in the Pacific Northwest fairly often. Two for sale in the last month alone. Welcome to the forum!

mud89

Post by mud89 »

mud89 wrote:
dandtpitts wrote:I cant check the serial number at present, we are in Brisbane for 2 weeks,
9Q18NHN160157
Good luck,
Dave
Ouch it's more difficult than the earlier aussie kaiser rigs.., doesn't look like a VIN, maybe some digits come from the original US VIN though : "18" : cherokee 4 doors, N : V8 360 2V, H : auto RHD, and Maybe 157 is a SN related to production..??

ps : an aussie VIN example for a '84 cherokee : 6JANB18UXED001443 (SN : 1443)
More on the cherokee example 17 digits VIN, the digits which differ from a US example are :
6 the australia code country ( 1 for an US example)
A ?
D probably a code for the australian plant (T for Toledo)
Still wondering if the serial number is local, seems to be global not by model

Landman_MTX

Re: 1981 Cherokee S 4 door

Post by Landman_MTX »

Nice rig! :-bd
1979 Grand Wagoneer, 360, TH400/QT, D44s