Brand new (in 1976) Cherokee and brand new FSJ owner!

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Orion1130

Brand new (in 1976) Cherokee and brand new FSJ owner!

Post by Orion1130 »

I just picked up my first FSJ and I am very new to them! I have had and built numerous XJ's (I know...I know...) in the past and still have one, but I have wanted a full size Cherokee ever since the first time I saw one. Finally, timing and funds aligned to enable me to get one! I picked her up as a project for my daughter and I to work on together (age 6, start em young!). She ran and drove enough for me to test the transmission, which is puking ATF from between the TC and transmission, and get her on/off the trailer but that is about it. She has a 360 with an eddy 1406 carb w/electric choke, eddy performer 2131 intake, HEI, TH400 and quadratrac (may or may not have part-time kit, it has manual hubs but I haven't cracked open the case yet). Interior was poorly done with an 83? waggy swap w/o folding front seats :-? . Sometime in its life someone decided it was a good idea to install house carpet/pad on top of fiberglass insulation batts for the flooring and side panels (a giant sponge)... :o , this has caused the passenger side floor board to rot out. Oh and the wiring is a complete mess, I am thinking I will have to rewire the whole thing with an aftermarket harness (first time doing this). This will be a labor of love, but I really do love working on Jeeps! I anticipate utilizing this large pool of information/knowledge to help me get this beast back into the mountains.

Aside from the obvious repairs, I would like to:
-SOA conversion
-run 33's or 35's
-re-gear depending on tire size
-possible add lockers
-TBI depending on how it handles the various Colorado elevations
-Chassis saver/monstaline the tub
-monstaline the body

Basically make it into a dependable camping rig for my family and I.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Cherokee Chief 360/TH400/QT

Topic author
Orion1130

Re: Brand new (in 1976) Cherokee and brand new FSJ owner!

Post by Orion1130 »

More pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Orion1130

Post by Orion1130 »

I have done some minor things on it so far:

-Stripped the interior (discovered the rust)
-got the back window down by hotwiring it (it also has a bent handle rod, making the window bind)
-did some junkyarding and got some mirrors and a "new" tailgate
-made some diamond plate door panels and dash insert (havent backed the door panels yet)
-in the process of replacing/moving the electric fuel pump to the frame rail close to gas tank (it was bolted into the fender well in the engine bay lol)
-discovered the previous owner did not block off the mechanical fuel pump after installing the e-pump (hopefully that didnt screw anything up!)
-discovered a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, got a new valley pan to seal everything better (not installed yet)
-tinkered with door alignment/operation
-hunted for front folding seats (no luck yet)

More to come!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ