J20 parts truck

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
superdave

J20 parts truck

Post by superdave »

I picked up a J20 for a 4 speed swap this week. It's a '77, same as my waggy. It popped up on craigslist about 10 miles from my house and the guy was willing to trailer it over. From what I can tell from the vin and door jam sticker, it was a 360 4 barrel (currently has a 2 barrel carb on 4 barrel intake), 4 speed, 8400 lb gvw, factory midnight blue. Had some cool options like the cargo light, mud flaps, and CB radio. The tags are missing off the axle so I haven't determined if it has a 3.73 or 4.09 or a trac-lok yet. Also has an edelbrock manifold.

The story I got was it was originally owned by a blueberry farm, which seems appropriate given the blue exterior and interior. It still has the 1977 license plate from right here in Indiana. Shows 39k miles or so, might actually be true if it spent its life on a farm. It's set up for a dump bed and the lift mechanism works but theres no bed. It's waaayyy to mich fun moving it up and down.

Plan is to put the drivetrain under the waggy, pick a couple parts, then sell the rest.

Today I threw on some used tires, poured a gallon of fresh gas in, and with a squirt of starter fluid it fired up and I was blasting up and down the street. Wish I owned something camo and had a Budweiser in the fridge to complete the look. The transmission shifts well and theres actually some clutch left, but the tcase seems kinda stuck in 4 high. Take a gander at the blueberry:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

Cheapthrills

Re: J20 parts truck

Post by Cheapthrills »

That thing is pretty bad a#@

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

I have a hand full of questions about the suspension and axles. I'm curious how the front end and springs compare to my 7u waggy. It has the "HD44" front. The 77 manual indicates the front axle has a 3500# capacity compared to 3215 on the waggy. I understand it has slightly larger brakes, wider track width, and its 8 lug, but what else is different to increase the capacity? Tubes? Shafts?

Regarding the springs, I read somewhere and my measurements agreed that the front springs are the same length and width as the waggy so they could bolt in, but it seems the J20 sits higher. Are there stiffer/higher capacity springs? It looks like the rears are the same length too, just wider position. Are they bolt in to the waggy as well, but stiffer? Thanks for any insight.

edit: *front springs
Last edited by superdave on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Cheapthrills wrote:That thing is pretty bad a#@

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I wish I had the room to just keep it as is. It could be allot of fun if I had a farm. Put a plow on it and find a pull-behind pto lawn mower.

Dave Knoerzer

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

You going to eventually part it out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

toothofwar wrote:You going to eventually part it out?

Yup

Dave Knoerzer

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

superdave wrote:
toothofwar wrote:You going to eventually part it out?

Yup

NICE! Isee a back window and a radio that interests me!

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I see a grill that would look amazing in my 79 cherk

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

I'll post a lists of items and prices in the sales area after I've gone through it, don't worry.

Dave Knoerzer

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I would like to be in line for the steering box . Now hurry I need a spare .TY
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

BenD

Post by BenD »

nice, I had a 77 j20 just like that same color and all, only it had a reg bed. looking at the pic.s reminded me of a q i had. on my 81 j10 i have the same chrome button by the left knee, lower dash, i don't think its hooked up, it does nothing, what is it supposed to go to? your looks to say snap on tools

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

BenD wrote:nice, I had a 77 j20 just like that same color and all, only it had a reg bed. looking at the pic.s reminded me of a q i had. on my 81 j10 i have the same chrome button by the left knee, lower dash, i don't think its hooked up, it does nothing, what is it supposed to go to? your looks to say snap on tools
That button and the red one next to it controlled the dump bed. One button for up, one button for down.
Dave Knoerzer