My 1970 Wagoneer (Buick 350)

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
codyman

My 1970 Wagoneer (Buick 350)

Post by codyman »

Hi Everyone
I've been restoring a '70 Wagoneer since March 2017. Was originally purchased by the Klamath Falls, Oregon Regional Airport in '69/70, used till '95 as a shuttle vehicle to pickup folks from their planes and take them to various hangars (especially during their crazy winters). It was mothballed from '95 till '15 when it was purchased by a local guy that thought he was going to restore it. Plans change and it sat at his place for two years before he sold it to me in Southern California. THANKFULLY they coated the bottom of the entire vehicle with a rust proofing like material (looks like some sort of tar) which saved this thing to have only a little tiny hole where the throttle mounts (had to fix that...). The interior was pretty beat (needed a new back seat for starters) but the exterior wasn't bad. It was resprayed to a custom two tone at some point in the 80's from it's original "Avocado Mist". I have a '69 Field and Streams vintage camping trailer and I plan on using this to tow that among other activities. Haven't taken it on the dirt yet but for now it's a SoCal beach cruiser. She's running great now and the main two issues I still need to resolve is that the fuel sender was removed (gas tank was acid washed / drained since it sat for 20+ years -- just need to drop the tank and put the new sender unit in but I've tested the resistance wire and gauge still operates) and that the rear tailgate window motor is not lowering or raising the glass so it's been removed for now (I tested the dash switch and it works, the rear key switch is shot though). Have had to fix a variety of little nagging issues but this is my 5th Jeep so I'm used to that at this point!

Pictures
https://imgur.com/a/RxCPS

Couple things:
1. Does anyone have any source of original hubcaps or aftermarket baby moons? I can't find a baby moon to fit the Kaiser era 10 1/4" 3 nub wheel
2. Any tips on troubleshooting the rear window motor? I had the original motor rebuilt, yet it still doesn't want to seem to raise or lower the glass. The switch definitely works and is getting voltage to it.

d4xycrq

Re: My 1970 Wagoneer (Buick 350)

Post by d4xycrq »

I can't answer any of your questions, but gotta say, that is one very nice vehicle to start with!

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

codyman wrote:Hi Everyone
I've been restoring a '70 Wagoneer since March 2017. Was originally purchased by the Klamath Falls, Oregon Regional Airport in '69/70, used till '95 as a shuttle vehicle to pickup folks from their planes and take them to various hangars (especially during their crazy winters). It was mothballed from '95 till '15 when it was purchased by a local guy that thought he was going to restore it. Plans change and it sat at his place for two years before he sold it to me in Southern California. THANKFULLY they coated the bottom of the entire vehicle with a rust proofing like material (looks like some sort of tar) which saved this thing to have only a little tiny hole where the throttle mounts (had to fix that...). The interior was pretty beat (needed a new back seat for starters) but the exterior wasn't bad. It was resprayed to a custom two tone at some point in the 80's from it's original "Avocado Mist". I have a '69 Field and Streams vintage camping trailer and I plan on using this to tow that among other activities. Haven't taken it on the dirt yet but for now it's a SoCal beach cruiser. She's running great now and the main two issues I still need to resolve is that the fuel sender was removed (gas tank was acid washed / drained since it sat for 20+ years -- just need to drop the tank and put the new sender unit in but I've tested the resistance wire and gauge still operates) and that the rear tailgate window motor is not lowering or raising the glass so it's been removed for now (I tested the dash switch and it works, the rear key switch is shot though). Have had to fix a variety of little nagging issues but this is my 5th Jeep so I'm used to that at this point!

Pictures
https://imgur.com/a/RxCPS

Couple things:
1. Does anyone have any source of original hubcaps or aftermarket baby moons? I can't find a baby moon to fit the Kaiser era 10 1/4" 3 nub wheel
2. Any tips on troubleshooting the rear window motor? I had the original motor rebuilt, yet it still doesn't want to seem to raise or lower the glass. The switch definitely works and is getting voltage to it.
These are pre AMC colors... not sure if they fit your wheels... https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VINTAGE-JEEP ... Cx&vxp=mtr

These are pricey at $800. Definitely awesome. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Jeep-Gladi ... A0&vxp=mtr

Maybe a combination of these 2 auctions would give you what you need and you could probably sell the two AMC ones back on EBay to get some of your $s back...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-JEEP-JEE ... IC&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Jeep-Kaiser- ... 18&vxp=mtr
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

If power is getting to the window motor, does it spin the motor?

Are the tracks the window slides in worn out so bad that the glass doesn't want to slide in the tracks?

Has anyone besides you been into the tailgate and possibly done something to somewhat permanently prop up the window? (POs do crazy stuff, right? You never know...)

Are the arms that support the bottom of the back window glass connected to the slots at the bottom of the glass?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Wow that is a nice ride :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"