Jenny the J20

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
TreyJK

Jenny the J20

Post by TreyJK »

I wanted to start a build thread in order to chronicle the progress of the 1979 J20 that my dad and I are working on and would also like to say thanks to everyone who participates on this site as I have visited many times seeking information!

A little history: I own a '08 JKU that I've been modifying slowly for a more "overland" goal, yet still capable on the harder trails. Seeing as how I'll probably keep it forever and it will handle the more difficult off-road adventures, we've decided to keep the J20 relatively stock. We may add 33" tires and a flat bed to haul hay but that will probably be the extent of exterior modifications.
Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TreyJK

Re: Jenny the J20

Post by TreyJK »

We found the J20 about 50 miles away and decided to go take a look. We did a little research after checking it out and decided it was a project that we could handle so we returned the next morning and bought her! She smoked a little bit on the way back and died at a few stoplights (which we assumed was because it had been sitting for who knows how long) yet ultimately, she drove very well! The odometer shows about 60k miles, she leaks a bit of oil, and there's the ever-popular rust on the floor boards and in the bed but nothing too serious.

The next day I decided to take her for a spin and the quadratrac decided that it no longer wanted the chain and thus spit it out of the casting. A few hours and a tow truck later, she was back home.

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

It was at that point that we decided to remove every nut and bolt from the new-to-us truck and restore as much as possible. The front end was torn down quickly and without drama, however the bolts securing the bed to the frame required more persuasion and occasionally called for the nut-breaker. It was here that we found that she had most likely been the victim of a fender bender in the rear as the rear bumper had been pushed into the body on the passenger side and the aftermarket trailer hitch was bent in a decent amount. Someone later tried to straighten the damage with a hooked-end chain yet only succeeded in bending the frame, not the trailer hitch bar. Beyond that, there were quite a few wires and hoses leading to nowhere, yet we intend on replacing those so that was a non-issue.

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

ImageImageImageImage Definitely not a factory paint job...

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

We also discovered that a PO had installed Rough Country springs and new U-bolts in addition to an aluminum radiator, fuel pump, auxiliary speaker, header covers, and a new carburetor. The factory AC was not working and the transmission seemed to be very clean in comparison to the rest of the drive train. We would later discover that the tranny was missing a few bolts connecting it to the engine. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

We sent the transmission and engine off to the professionals for a full rebuild and were able to locate another quadratrac in Pennsylvania into which we could swap our low-range.
After the frame was stripped, we moved on to sand blasting!
Image Image

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Quite a peoject, looks very good thus far

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Hurray! Another J-truck pulled back from the gates! Looking forward to more updates!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

jpcrzy

Post by jpcrzy »

Subscribed :-bd You all are getting to it, welcome to the crazy world of FSJ. Glad to see another 79 being resurrected. Those are the same Mastercraft tires that I've been looking at for my truck. I like the tread pattern, and the nostalgic looks. Continue the good work
An optimist, looks at a glass as half full. A pessimist, looks at a glass as half empty. I am a realist, who drink my water? :roll:

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

Thanks for the interest everyone!

We just finished blasting the frame today, that took a lot longer than I had anticipated. Next on the list is to paint the frame and then blast and paint the axles and wheels.

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

Just finished up the frame with POR15 and I've been disassembling the front D44 in order to blast, paint, and rebuild it. Anyone have any advice on how to get these ball joints out? The last time I really cranked down on a press, I broke one of the adaptors. Use a torch? They've been soaking in solvent for a few days.

I also need to get working on the quadratrac....
ImageImageImageImage

az chip

Post by az chip »

Are you doing this that fast, or are you stocked up on pictures to post? 'cause, dang! Nice build.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

az chip wrote:Are you doing this that fast, or are you stocked up on pictures to post? 'cause, dang! Nice build.
I was stocked up, not anymore! I try to work on it a few hours every night.

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

Well it's been slow going the past few weeks but the frame is totally painted (including the parts we initially missed), the quadratrac is almost whole again, the glass has been removed from the cab, U joints have been replaced on the axle shafts, and the axles have been painted and reassembled. Parts are trickling in and the rear disc brake conversion just showed up. Hopefully we'll get the springs blasted and painted, get the engine back from the shop, and start the rebuilding process! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Awesome!

I may have missed it, what color are you planning on painting the truck?
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
TreyJK

Post by TreyJK »

berettajeep wrote:Awesome!

I may have missed it, what color are you planning on painting the truck?
We're not totally sure yet ourselves, possibly a tan or green. Probably a matte finish, something low maintenance and usable as this will be a farm truck (hay hauler, feed store, etc...)