Nice weather leads to a project !

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Discodan

Nice weather leads to a project !

Post by Discodan »

Like I said nice weather leads to a project.
What got me started on this project was that I almost had an overhead console bought that I was missing on the interior. That fell through and got me thinking about the rest of the interior. I didn't like the original shag dirty tan carpet. So I thought about doing the tintable spray in bedliner as my flooring and back side panels. That would work better for what I do with it. So nice weather on Saturday I took the carpet out. The seatbelts and seat tracks have been putting up a fight. Now I'm down to one seat belt and two bolts on the seat track. I might have to heat those to get them out. I plan on making sheet metal panels for the tailgate and side panels and coating those same with the tan bedliner spray. I have never started a thread or even tried one. So I will try to take pics and see how this thread goes. It might take a few weeks. But I will try not to bore you.
Here is a couple of pics as I am disassembling. And the front seats will get a little attention later.
Any other ideas on interior ? I am listening Image ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

66stepside

Re: Nice weather leads to a project !

Post by 66stepside »

That's a good looking start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Nice, I'm a huge fan of the take everything out to thoroughly clean it method.

Someday I will have one of those rear cargo covers. :oops:

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

One of the vendors here could save you some effort if you're so inclined?

ABS, panels for wagoneer, J truck, Commando, Jeepster

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

When I blew my XJ apart I bedlined everything. I wanted utilitarian over cushiness. I'm not sold yet that it was the best choice but it could be due to several factors. I didn't apply the bedliner thick enough and I think that is part of the issue. Also, I chose a DIY spray can version which, while it looks good, isn't as tough as I'd hoped. Maybe a better product would net better results?
Here's a couple pics of my xj so far.
ImageImage
And a panel I made for the second battery stuff:
ImageImage

Topic author
Discodan

Post by Discodan »

Your project looks good but now you raise some concerns. What don't you like about it? Does it not sound deaden like I'm thinking it will? I hope it does because the carpet is already out and I didn't plan on putting carpet back in. What would you do different? I do have a question for you or anybody out there that is watching this. What is this strap on the passenger side that I've never noticed before. Behind the seat belt on the pillar. Hopefully the pic turns out
Thanks Tedlovesjeeps....I think it was ?ImageImage

tedlovesjeeps71

I'll answer in detail later (late for school). That strap is to hold the rear seat in the upright position.

Topic author
Discodan

Post by Discodan »

I learned something today.. Thanks Ted. Can't wait for the details later. Go to school and make sure you learn something too. Thanks

tedlovesjeeps71

Ok... home finally. Let me try and offer my experience before heading to bed.

When I set out to rebuild my XJ I wanted to focus on a more expedition/utilitarian concept. It all started with a blown motor but evolved into a much larger project (shocking, right? Haha).
While all the drivetrain was out I scrubbed and cleaned and surprisingly found zero rust. I then gave it a coat of self etching primer and shot it with several spray cans of duplicolor bed liner. I suppose I could have used undercoating but I believed the bedliner would be tougher? I then gutted the interior for the same purpose. That is where I discovered the only rust on the Jeep and it was (I guess?) from someone soaking the carpet while cleaning it. Mostly mild surface stuff but I detest rust. So a yucky day with a wire wheel was prep for rust converter, primer, and more bedliner. The aerosol cans worked good for the hard to reach areas but I did buy a gallon and rolled it on the larger areas. It took several days to cure and in my opinion, is no where near as tough as the stuff you often see in truck beds etc. I'd bet a different product such as Raptor or Durabak would create a better finished product. Mine doesn't look bad but it seems... too easily scratched. But being a DIY guy (and inherently cheap) I used what I could afford. The reality is I spent more for a less durable end result because I could buy cans as I could afford them.
I also played with ideas for making it quieter. The carpet in vehicles (and the backing material) go a long way towards sound deadening. I'm sure if I could have payed the bedliner in much thicker it would be more functional for that task. Alas... mine is probably only a few 16s thick so I have a lot of noise. I had originally thought to use some sort of foil type sound deadener and bed line on top. But when I made a sample and let it dry/cure... it simply scraped off with my fingernail. Not acceptable.
In fairness, I still have most of my interior panels, including the headliner, waiting to be reinstalled. I won't know how much difference was actually accomplished until all that is back in. For now I'm relegated to the wife's waggy so all my efforts are there. When I make some progress I'll be happy to let you know.
My only advice would be buy a quality product and spray it everywhere you want it to cover and lay it down thick. Try and get into the cavities between the outer skin and the interior panels.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I used herculiner on the floor of my Jtruck. It's about $100/gal so not cheap but it goes on easily and holds up well. I didn't notice much improvement on road noise tho. I ended up putting fatmat and a cheap carpet kit over it.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I also bedlined the interior of my J-10, it does nothing to reduce road noise, and makes the interior noticably less comfortable in extreme weather. All windows down across the Bonneville salt flats in July my boots were filled with sweat. When it was my winter DD, ice from my boots would build up inches thick and never melt. Had to bust it up manually to get the floor mats out, then take those inside to thaw in the bath tub. I'm in the process of installing new carpet and insulation because it was just becoming unlivable.

Duplicolor makes two types of liner, regular and "Kevlar". I've had better results with the regular for durability, but the Kevlar is grittier and probably is better for a non-skid. The exterior of my truck is Rust-Oleum bedliner rattle cans with flat khaki on top of that, also does nothing for noise and temps, just hides blemishes.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.