Passed Emissions Today!

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
montanablueSJ

Passed Emissions Today!

Post by montanablueSJ »

After failing the first time because I forgot my key (doh!)(They claimed they couldn't test it since it starts without a key.) I went back the next day with a key in there (they didn't check it this time) and then they hooked it up, checked my smog equipment, and ran the test. Amazingly I passed, even without any carb tuning or timing, I initially just wanted to see how it would do and what I was in for to get it to pass. After passing and what a relief that was, I went to the DMV on my high horse to get it registered and get some plates so it would finally be legal. I brought all the info but then found out that the vehicle's title had a mistake in the VIN number, a single letter got typed incorrectly on the title. So I was shot down hard there. Now I have to track down the previous owner (who is out of state) and have him send it back to his dmv to have it corrected. That, or I go through some "bond" thing which sounds very complicated and a lot of paperwork. Wish me luck! This thing has been a pain in the butt for me, hoping it will all be worth it someday.

1981 Cherokee 2-door -- 360 V8 -- T-176 -- NP-208 -- Dana 44 + AMC 20 -- Narrow track, base model

will e

Re: Passed Emissions Today!

Post by will e »

Congradulations. Passing emissions is always stressful. I always do a little happy dance when I pass.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

montanablueSJ wrote:After failing the first time because I forgot my key (doh!)(They claimed they couldn't test it since it starts without a key.) I went back the next day with a key in there (they didn't check it this time) and then they hooked it up, checked my smog equipment, and ran the test. Amazingly I passed, even without any carb tuning or timing, I initially just wanted to see how it would do and what I was in for to get it to pass. After passing and what a relief that was, I went to the DMV on my high horse to get it registered and get some plates so it would finally be legal. I brought all the info but then found out that the vehicle's title had a mistake in the VIN number, a single letter got typed incorrectly on the title. So I was shot down hard there. Now I have to track down the previous owner (who is out of state) and have him send it back to his dmv to have it corrected. That, or I go through some "bond" thing which sounds very complicated and a lot of paperwork. Wish me luck! This thing has been a pain in the butt for me, hoping it will all be worth it someday.

Did I see you driving around in Longmont today? IIRC you pulled into Autozone. I was like yep, another jeep at the parts store! :fsj:

Topic author
montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

Ha! That could have been me, I drove to longmont for the emissions test in the picture.
1981 Cherokee 2-door -- 360 V8 -- T-176 -- NP-208 -- Dana 44 + AMC 20 -- Narrow track, base model

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

What a friggin nightmare emissions!!

Because you don't have a key? What if I wanted to install a clapper ignition?

That has sooooo nothing at all to do at all with air quality.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Congratulations. All the work is always worth it. Even if it only last a week before something else breaks. Had a smog tech claim my 79 failed because he couldn't unlock the gas cap for inspection. Told his boss there are only 3 keys 2 have jeep on them and the other has gas on it. What key dose he Need? His boss sighed, shook his head and said you passed and redid everything. The tech was trying to use the oval door key.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

ShagWagon wrote:What a friggin nightmare emissions!!

Because you don't have a key? What if I wanted to install a clapper ignition?

That has sooooo nothing at all to do at all with air quality.
I know, that's what I said! But I think it's kind of like a little inspection they do. It's just very brief, not like other states where they have to fully inspect the car, check the brakes, tires, lights, etc. to pass inspection. Here, they just won't pass you if they notice something wrong like leaking oil or the horn doesn't work.

I'm going back to the dmv to see if I can get it registered and get plates. It's a long shot, but hopefully with a new person looking it over (that isn't as keen) they won't notice the title has a mistake in it and just read the vin off the vin inspection I had to do too. Fingers crossed!

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I got my ass chewed out for taking a photo of the Honcho getting it emissions done. They don't want evidence of their mistreatment of our vehicles.

Congrats. Did you have to go multiple times?

Colorado really does have some great FSJs... ;-)

-Charles

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Jeez. At least you passed. I thought EFI would forever make emissions a breeze. Bah.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

will e

Post by will e »

Charles Kline wrote:I got my ass chewed out for taking a photo of the Honcho getting it emissions done. They don't want evidence of their mistreatment of our vehicles.

Congrats. Did you have to go multiple times?

Colorado really does have some great FSJs... ;-)

-Charles
That's BS. It's a public place.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Plus, it's not like national security depends on emissions testing... and this isn't communist china. Weird. That makes me want to take a picture of them next time too. >:(

EDIT: which emissions facility did you go to? Though it has taken multiple times, the one on Colorado south of C-470 has never given me any real grief about anything. The one on South Federal hassled me for several things and refused to test after they failed to drive it properly.

Also, I had trouble with out of state title transfer too. They got me for vin verification form not having the 'body type' filled out, and a few other things. Ugh. Fortunately the vin on the title is correct. I can't imagine what a PITA that will be. :(
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

The one off McIntyre and 44th.

Vin inspection is not mandatory for them to do for any reason. You can have the Sheriffs office do a vin inspection for no cost (over by the Jeffco Taj Mahal)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

What I find rediculous about it is that you fail automatically if you upgrade to FI. Unless it's a Howell unit as if someone who made that rule has a buddy that owns that company.... hrmmm.

I've never heard of any FI upgrade that polluted more than before it was upgraded.

Isn't the point of it all to have cleaner air?

Should be more like " Oh I see you've upgraded to FI. Here's a tax credit equal to your complete cost to upgrade it."
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

And the fact they made you go home, and get your key and come back made that much more pollution.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

ShagWagon wrote:What I find rediculous about it is that you fail automatically if you upgrade to FI. Unless it's a Howell unit as if someone who made that rule has a buddy that owns that company.... hrmmm.

I've never heard of any FI upgrade that polluted more than before it was upgraded.

Isn't the point of it all to have cleaner air?

Should be more like " Oh I see you've upgraded to FI. Here's a tax credit equal to your complete cost to upgrade it."
Nope. The point is, it is a F$%*ing money racket. :x Has nothing to do with the environment. Glad there's no testing in my county.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

More good news! I went to a different DMV office and although they found the error in the title again (I thought they would overlook it) They were able to get it registered and I now have a colorado title and plates! They saw my VIN verification (that I paid $20 for...) and saw that the montana dmv had made a typo (should have been a number instead of a letter) and they were able to change it. Seems like I just got unlucky the first time with someone who didn't want to do their job or was not sure what the rules were - they wanted me to go back to montana to have the MT dmv print out a new one. Cost me $88 to get it registered, but now it's official!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats! The struggle is real.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Man it's always nice when it's a person at the DMV desk rather than the by the book robot.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im glad in virginia if your vehicle is 25 years old you are emission exempt. Only 6 more years for my ZJ lol !! Althought the ZJ is easy, hook it up to the OBD2 no check engine lights your good. but still i dont like paying for that every year
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)