1988 GW - My first FSJ

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

1988 GW - My first FSJ

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Hey everyone, I've been popping in a few threads around here for a couple months now but figured I should introduce myself. I'm Jon, I live in Leesport, PA (kinda generally near Allentown, PA) and I've had numerous XJs in the past but just bought my first FSJ in August. It's a 1988 Grand Wagoner. I thought I was being all adventurous buying a rust free classic from Florida off eBay and getting a steal of a deal. I don't think I way overpaid or anything given what it is and what I want to do with it but I realize now for a good bit less than twice my money I could have had something a lot nicer from not as far away if I had been more patient. I searched locally for months and found nothing but rust buckets and major resto projects for not less than $2300 so I decided to "expand my search" haha.

Anyway, I think this one really is a perfect base for my project given that it is not perfect, but has ZERO frame rust (unheard of in my rust belt part of the country), and no concerning body rust. The previous owner had removed all carpet except what he was too lazy to get at by removing the passenger seat, so naturally that is where the only rust is. The passenger side floor will need to be replaced as a result but I'm really not worried about that, I'd much rather deal with that then rockers, quarters, or structural areas!

As for the build...I'm planing a diesel conversion, manual transmission, cali-style rag top, significant trimming and a minimum of 37" tires. I'll need to paint it at some point also, and undecided if I will keep the wood grain or not. My goals are to have a reliable, powerful overland type rig that can go anywhere, pull a decent trailer, carry my family of 5 comfortably, and be fun to drive frequently. I'm not really looking to thrash it in the rocks but I'd like it to be a step up in capability from the last XJ I built for wheeling hard which had 4.0/AX15, 33's running 4:10s and a 5" lift.

The original 360 isn't running great but my goal is to tune that up a little and get it on the road just as a run around vehicle while I start on some of the non-motor related projects on it. I'll save up for my diesel swap and other major projects on it as I go and will definitely be asking questions and posting progress!

I'll follow this up with some more photos but for now here's one of my 2 year old son helping me wash it shortly after getting it home.

ClovisMan

Re: 1988 GW - My first FSJ

Post by ClovisMan »

Hello and welcome! That not a bad rig to start from. Looks real solid. I also have one of those rare rust free 1988 Grand Wagoneers. Mine has been in Texas its whole life so it literally has no rust. Look forward to see what you turn it into!
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

ClovisMan wrote:Hello and welcome! That not a bad rig to start from. Looks real solid. I also have one of those rare rust free 1988 Grand Wagoneers. Mine has been in Texas its whole life so it literally has no rust. Look forward to see what you turn it into!
Thanks ClovisMan! I feel pretty good about it! Some other details - it's been converted to SOA up front and blocks in rear, has D44s front and rear with manual locking hubs. It's on 33x12.5s right now. I'd like to sell the AR Bajas and 33's that are on it and downsize to 31s until the motor swap.

Once I fix the floor rust I plan to have the inside and roof media blasted (there's some light surface rust on top, and I'm deleting the roof rack and welding those holes all shut), then will coat the inside and underside with Monstaliner and have the top sealed with epoxy primer. I'll pop out the windshield and rear window glass for that project to ensure those surfaces are all clean and sealed with the epoxy, and get some fresh gasket in when re-installing. At this point I'm thinking the roof will be gloss white and the rest will be a desert tan but I'm not set on that yet. For now though the rest of it is protected in "extra matte black" rattle-can debauchery.

Here's another photo. As for any pics showing that atrocity of a rear bumper--don't worry, it's donated itself to the fab pile where something MUCH nicer will be made from it eventually.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

One thing I would do is lose the rear blocks and get a set of shackle flip brackets. Your suspension will thank you.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Yes one of the things I want to do early on is downsize from 33's to 31s and since it sits higher in the rear than the front, I'm definitely planning to nix those stupid huge rear blocks. I'll look into the shackle flip brackets, thanks for the suggestion!

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Ah, i recognize that one from eBay too. i actually kinda like the "negative" grill treatment. glad its a decent score for you!
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

That's a damn good looking ride I have an 87 and a 90 not nearly that big but may catch up soon