1973 Wagoneer

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
onre

1973 Wagoneer

Post by onre »

Greetings from Finland.

I've co-owned with my brother a 1973 Jeep Wagoneer for about three years now. The project hasn't progressed too fast, but there is something going on all the time. Plan is to get roadworthiness inspection done for it ASAP, so that we can actually drive around a bit. I've found that's the best way of keeping the motivation up.

It's an ex fire brigade vehicle, originally used as command vehicle by the fire brigade at Pori, then relocated to volunteer fire brigade at nearby village of Lyttylä in 1981. Coincidentally, I was born that year. Here's a pic taken sometime in '70s.

Well - it was sold to a private owner in 2000, years took their toll, hi-viz paint faded, et cetera. When we bought it, paint was flaking off in palm-sized pieces, rear window was MIA, it wasn't charging at all, transmission side axle bearings sounded like a coffee grinder, idle was very rough and behaviour on higher RPM's was rather erratic as well. On the positive side, the body has very little rust and there's only one dent.

We ordered and installed a carb repair kit (it's a Carter YF) and now we have smooth-ish idle and somewhat sane behaviour on higher RPM's too. When installing the repair kit, we noted that the fire brigade guys didn't trust the automatic choke and replaced it with a manual one. In the process, they've apparently used angle grinder to remove the automatic choke unit housing. Also, they've thought that no-one needs high idle with cold engine, hence there's no linkage whatsoever to open throttle when you pull the choke open. Because of this, it requires a certain choreography to keep the engine running while cold, as the mixture is too rich on normal, low idle.

Also, the ignition timing was apparently way off. When I was preparing to adjust this, I noted that the crankshaft pulley had been replaced with one without TDC marking on it. In frustration, I just turned the alternator way counter-clockwise - like thirty degrees or so - and was surprised to note that this remedied much of the running problems. For now, this was good enough. In future, I'll find out the TDC and make a proper marking for it.

It's still not charging, we're trying to figure out what to do about it. The alternator is not original, but some unknown model with internal regulation. Whoever installed that has also installed a new battery light on the dash. Battery voltage comes from this light all the way to the regulator in the rear of the alternator - we checked this with a multimeter - but the regulator is apparently dead. The battery light does not light up because there is no connection to ground from the regulator with engine off but ignition on. Ideas about replacement alternators are more than welcome. I've understood that '74 and newer models have a different alternator.

The rear window... now that's another story. This one has had the manual mechanism in it, but it is broken. The central sprocket has apparently worn to the point where the arms only move a little before the spring resistance is too much and it starts jumping over teeth. Also, the glass is still missing.

Here's a pic depicting the current state.

Tatsadasayago

Re: 1973 Wagoneer

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Good job saving a rare vehicle!
Please share information on the engine, transmission and transfer case.
Oh, and welcome to the network!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
onre

Post by onre »

Oh yeah, looks like I forgot completely about that!

The engine is a 1bbl 258 cid with Carter YF, all stock except for the crankshaft pulley. The one we have has an additional groove for running some long-removed piece of equipment.

I am not 100% certain, but pretty sure that the transmission is a T14. The transfer case is a Dana 20.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It's probably the T-15 3-speed transmission. The T-14/T-90 were very small in size and found in the smaller jeeps such as the early CJs etc.

Very cool Wagoneer!

Topic author
onre

Post by onre »

Thank you!

Regarding the transmission, you may very well be correct. I remember measuring transmission length to find out which one it is, but this was a couple of years ago and I've completely forgotten which it actually was.

Anyway, sooner or later it will need a set of new bearings. I haven't ever overhauled a transmission so this will probably be fun.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

There is a cast model number on the passenger (Right) upper rear side of the transmission case. It should read T-15 or 1307.
Here is a photo comparing the T-90/T-14 with the T-15. As you can see, the T-15 is much longer at 10".
The good news is the T-15 is a simple transmission to repair. If you have the service manual the mystery is removed.
The two most common problems with the T-15 are input shaft bearings and input shaft pocket roller bearings. The first is an easy repair but the second often requires replacement of the input and main shafts due to the bearing surfaces being destroyed.
Hopefully your transmission only needs the input bearing and seal.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Wow, very cool jeep with a great back story- Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk