Cheap chinese 12000lbs winches on Ebay for ~$250

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Cheap chinese 12000lbs winches on Ebay for ~$250

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I've been running a chinese 8000lbs winch on the Honcho for several years now without failure. It's probably been used about 100 times and it works great.

I recently purchased this 12000lbs winch for $250 bucks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-12V-120 ... b3&vxp=mtr

My buddy got a similar one, but it cost a little more because it had synthetic rope rather than steel cable.

Both of our new winches seem to work great and they both come with wireless remote (in addition to wired remote).

Just thought I would pass this along to make people aware that you don't have to spend $1000 on a Warn winch, the chinese ones seem to work just fine. I'm actually considering picking up a couple more of them and figuring out a way to mount two of 'em on the front of the Honcho, then using the existing one on the rear.

68glad

Re: Cheap chinese 12000lbs winches on Ebay for ~$250

Post by 68glad »

OMG your gonna die. You must spend $1000 min to get a "good" winch. I wouldn't buy that chineese crap. It won't be worth it when you need it most and it fails. What else am i missing? ;)
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

68glad wrote:OMG your gonna die. You must spend $1000 min to get a "good" winch. I wouldn't buy that chineese crap. It won't be worth it when you need it most and it fails. What else am i missing? ;)
LOL

that about sums up the stuff I read on Pirate!

:fsj:

90supra

Post by 90supra »

68glad wrote:OMG your gonna die. You must spend $1000 min to get a "good" winch. I wouldn't buy that chineese crap. It won't be worth it when you need it most and it fails. What else am i missing? ;)
I think you forgot something about how the Chinese manufactures are ripping off the original
The Fleet:
1967 J3000 (258/T18/D20, MC 2100)
1972 240Z (heading under the knife :evil:)
1978 Corvette (wife's HS project)
1987 Grand Wagoneer (Howell TBI 360 HEI, Thorley headers, Edelbrock intake, 727 NP208, Rustys 4")
2013 Subaru WRX

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, I would not compare this thing to say, a 12k Warn. But for the price, its hard to go wrong. Their 12k is probably equivalent to a 9k Warn, and probably wont last as long before breaking.

But if you are like me, and you don't winch very often (Hell I never winch as I do not have one :P), its perfect.

I have been really wanting an 8274, just cannot justify the cost of it. It blows away every other winch out there on speed and pulling power, and build quality. But I could literally buy SEVEN of these for the same cost.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

yeah, the trusty old 8274 is definitely the best winch out there. I had one that came on my '80 CJ5 (first vehicle). I sold it years ago and sure wish I hadn't. It was MUCH faster than anything else I've seen.

Here is a pic of my 'champion' 8000lbs chinese winch that I got used from another vehicle, so I really don't know how old it is. This pic was taken 4 years ago and it's still going strong.

pic taken 2 years ago.

chinese winch pulled the Honcho sideways up the hill.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Sure beats the daylights out of a come-along hand winch or the dreaded Hi-Lift jack used horizontally as one. That is tedious!

I'd drop 250.00 for one and feel it was worth it if needed it and it got me out of a predicament then immediately died.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I love the Chinese stuff bashing. Keeps the price nice and low. If you do your research you can get good quality Chinese stuff. I have three Chinese four wheelers, that I have had since 2008 and now two Chinese scooters. I love them! If U.S consumers could really see how they are being taken for a ride they would be totally shocked. But hey, we live in the biggest, the fastest, the next best thing, look at me and what I got, society. My eyes were opened about 10 years ago. Say what you want about Chinese, I'll by my Chinese stuff direct and be happy, while others buy their Chinese stuff with a different name on it and think they are better than everyone else.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

A lot of the time, it isn't "bashing."

Ask those who have purchased steering columns under the Helix, AutoLoc, Proheader, Wysco, and CCP brands. The tilt section of the steering shaft is totally sub-par and has led to several people suddenly finding their steering wheel is no longer tied to the steering box.

I'm not saying the winches on Ebay aren't any good, only saying that you must be careful with things Chinese.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

That is what I am saying. You have to do the research. Sometimes it is not that easy because of all the generic bashing going on. What you are showing is hard proof of sub par. When I see bashing and no evidence then I take it as a grain of salt.

China has some of the newest and best manufacturing machinery in the world. The problem is that Americans don't want good stuff they want cheap stuff. So the good stuff goes to other places and the cheap stuff comes here and breaks. Then we say "its cheap Chinese stuff!". Well.....Yes! It is cheap Chinese stuff. You can get good Chinese stuff, you just have to look for it. It will cost more than the cheap stuff we are use to, but it will still be quite a bit cheaper than mainstream products. Sometimes it is the same thing as the mainstream products just there is no middle man.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

ghcoe wrote:That is what I am saying. You have to do the research. Sometimes it is not that easy because of all the generic bashing going on. What you are showing is hard proof of sub par. When I see bashing and no evidence then I take it as a grain of salt.

China has some of the newest and best manufacturing machinery in the world. The problem is that Americans don't want good stuff they want cheap stuff. So the good stuff goes to other places and the cheap stuff comes here and breaks. Then we say "its cheap Chinese stuff!". Well.....Yes! It is cheap Chinese stuff. You can get good Chinese stuff, you just have to look for it. It will cost more than the cheap stuff we are use to, but it will still be quite a bit cheaper than mainstream products. Sometimes it is the same thing as the mainstream products just there is no middle man.
I have other issues with China, but I understand what you are saying.

On the other hand, I kind of like buying Taiwanese stuff.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

ProTouring442 wrote:
ghcoe wrote:That is what I am saying. You have to do the research. Sometimes it is not that easy because of all the generic bashing going on. What you are showing is hard proof of sub par. When I see bashing and no evidence then I take it as a grain of salt.

I also have other issues with China, but I understand what you are saying.

On the other hand, I kind of like buying Taiwanese stuff.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yep, I've been running a HF Chinese winch for 15 years [when they first came out]. And yes, the magnets came off one day but I glued them back on [Really] :D I've run with guys that have the 12's and they never gave them problems. Plus, the Mags have run Winch-Offs over the years and the Cheapies win every year :P However, if I needed one for work and used it routinely, I'd pay the extra and buy a Warn/Ramsey etc.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I agree with rock on rock on this.... I'm waiting to buy one on the sale over the Summer. I think I may get the 12k just in case, especially for the price why not.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Yeah, I probably will too some day. Got to get the lift and the front receiver set up first. Then it will be a HF receiver hitch winch mount and a winch.

I have a friend of mine that has the 12K on a big hauling trailer. Been out in the weather for 10 years and always works when it needs to.
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

FYI here is an 8000lbs winch with synthetic rope that's up for auction with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition ... 1477710211

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Another Option is Craigslist. WARNs sell in the $200s all the time out here. I bet this guy would take $250 in a heartbeat.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/tls/4830488140.html

Older Option that you could probably get for under $100

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4804709002.html
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I heard that the majority of Warn components are chinese too.

Is that true?

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

The VR series are manufactured in China, but the M series and Xeon(?) are still US made. From what I hear, the VR series are pretty good, though. (Who knows, maybe that's what your Chinese winch is... a rebranded VR?)
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Blake wrote:FYI here is an 8000lbs winch with synthetic rope that's up for auction with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition ... 1477710211
It auctioned for $313 Not bad for an 8000lbs winch with synthetic rope.