Cheap chinese 12000lbs winches on Ebay for ~$250

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Bagusjeep

Re: Cheap chinese 12000lbs winches on Ebay for ~$250

Post by Bagusjeep »

I have worked in China and unfortunately live somewhere tahat is routinely dumped with Chinese products.

Brands rose up in the 19th century beacuse people could not trust what they were buying. Adulterated medicines and food were common and you took your life in your hands. A trusted brand today is hopefully a manufacturer but often a middle man but in defending their brand they often do quality control and have warranties etc. That is what you pay for whn you pay for a brand and Warn are both, only some of their winches being made in-house. Even in-house they are buying in parts

In China you have few brands. However it ges deeper than that, the Chinese communist system often has two grades for allocation of resources, one is low quality. Importers then buy the cheap stuff because the margins are attractive. If they have no brand to build then it is just a question of how much product they can shift. I have bought Chinese products that have lasted days or weeks.

There are other China based producers that are either foreign owned (often Taiwanese) or are building for OEM brands overseas. The machines and technques are better and the qulity they are aiming to produce is better.

Unfortunately it is a lottery, plenty of scammers and thieves in China who will cheat foreigners. It is customary to pay for goods ex works with no recourse once you open the shipping container months later.

If you want a product that will work and give you good service buy it from someone with a brand and reputation. Nothing wrong with a $300 winch if it is properly made to industrial standards and good design and sold by someone who stands behind what they sell.

We have those cheap Chinese winches here, my local seller will also sell a Warn sticker for $5 to go on it.
Bagusjeep lives in Bali, Land of Temples

Gladys 1981 J20 258ci custom extended cab (3' extension) 33" M/T T18 NP208 slowly being rebuilt to an expedition truck for the family
Bagusjeep 1981 CJ7 258ci - surf jeep
Jeepputhi 1984 CJ7 258ci - dog carrier fitted with Landcruiser axles and YJ tub
Cherokee 1995 XJ Cherokee 4.0HO AW4 Limited for long distances

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

[quote="Bagusjeep, my local seller will also sell a Warn sticker for $5 to go on it.[/quote]
Now that is so true, I have bought stuff before and had the seller brand it what I wanted :D
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Bagusjeep wrote:I have worked in China and unfortunately live somewhere tahat is routinely dumped with Chinese products.

Brands rose up in the 19th century beacuse people could not trust what they were buying. Adulterated medicines and food were common and you took your life in your hands. A trusted brand today is hopefully a manufacturer but often a middle man but in defending their brand they often do quality control and have warranties etc. That is what you pay for whn you pay for a brand and Warn are both, only some of their winches being made in-house. Even in-house they are buying in parts

In China you have few brands. However it ges deeper than that, the Chinese communist system often has two grades for allocation of resources, one is low quality. Importers then buy the cheap stuff because the margins are attractive. If they have no brand to build then it is just a question of how much product they can shift. I have bought Chinese products that have lasted days or weeks.

There are other China based producers that are either foreign owned (often Taiwanese) or are building for OEM brands overseas. The machines and technques are better and the qulity they are aiming to produce is better.

Unfortunately it is a lottery, plenty of scammers and thieves in China who will cheat foreigners. It is customary to pay for goods ex works with no recourse once you open the shipping container months later.

If you want a product that will work and give you good service buy it from someone with a brand and reputation. Nothing wrong with a $300 winch if it is properly made to industrial standards and good design and sold by someone who stands behind what they sell.

We have those cheap Chinese winches here, my local seller will also sell a Warn sticker for $5 to go on it.
I have some experience with manufacturing things in China as well. I have had to explain to people that China will build things as cheap as you want, but will also build things to high quality if you are willing to pay for it.

Just look at MacBook Pros. Very well constructed, but their manufacturing cost is a lot higher than some cheap $200 laptop that is also built in China. Same goes for just about everything.

I know when we were moving manufacturing there, we had to ride them on quality. Took about ten iterations to get things where we wanted them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

subor2

Post by subor2 »

Look at their reviews on the winch https://pickwinch.com Maybe you can find there suitable for yourself, the site has a lot of useful information collected

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

well two years later my chinese 12k winch works just fine. I had to clean the positive terminal because it got corroded and the heavier 12k cable easily gets kinked. The winch itself is stupid slow. Luckily Gabe sold me an 8274 that I have on the rear of the honcho and I use it to pull down trees all the time.

The Warn 8274 is still king of winches, but the cheap chinese ones work ok for occasional use.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I buy my winches used. I look for the ones with solenoid issues and pick them up cheap. I got my 12,000# Mile Marker for $400 and my 8,000# Ramsey for free. The MM came with wireless control but needed solenoids. The Ramsey was damaged from a stuck solenoid sucking the cable/hook all the way in. $150 in repair parts and I was up and running.
I now use Albright contactors instead or trying to fiddle with solenoids. Cheaper, easier, weather resistant, and more compact to fit under the hood.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

i have been very happy with my Westin TMax Outback 9500, which is simply a rebadged chinese or taiwanese product. I did change over to synthetic cable a year ago. I think they come with it now, or at least the same winch w different stickers on it does..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)