Winch bumper mounts, need advice

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
44bz

Winch bumper mounts, need advice

Post by 44bz »

I'm starting with a Warn winch bumper off a K5 Blazer and planning to re-create the frame mounts for a postmount FSJ. I have detailed pics of the OEM style brackets, which have helped a lot. I bought some steel yesterday. The OEM brackets are basically angle iron that extend from the frame horns and the bumper is then bolted to them. The angle iron is attached to the frame with some strap steel at the rear, welded to the angle iron and bolted to a threaded hole in the frame just below the front body mount. The angle iron is also bolted to the front crossmember with a piece of "L" shaped steel. Hard to describe with words and I don't have the pics handy.

The FSJ frame is about 34" wide and the winch plate on the bumper is about 27" wide. So I was going to run a piece of 1/4" steel, 6" wide by 34" long across the angle iron then center the bumper on that. The sheet would be welded to the angle iron and the bumper bolted to it. All the steel I purchased is 1/4".

My truck does have a 3" body lift so I was considering some 3x6 1/4" tube instead of the flat steel. The tube could be bolted or welded to the angle iron and bolted to the front crossmember. The bumper would then sit on top of that. The bumper would then match the body lines better, but would be further from the frame. On the other hand, the tube would be bolted directly to the front crossmember so should be structurally sound. Any thoughts?

My only experiences with winch bumpers have been bolt on so I'm hoping some of you fabricators out there can offer some constructive criticism. Thanks :-bd
Last edited by 44bz on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
44bz

Re: Building bumper mounts, need advice

Post by 44bz »

After an evening of researching ideas, I think I've decided it would be foolish to try matching the Warn bumper to the body lines with the 3" body lift. Having the bumper and winch sitting above and in front of the frame will likely be less structural and possibly more prone to failure. I had another idead though. A PO, likely the guy who installed the body lift, relocated the 3 piece bumper to match the body lines so the front crossmember is partially visible when looking at the Jeep from the front. My idea was to leave the chrome 3 piece in place, attach the winch mount brackets like I described in the previous post, and simply bolt a winch plate to it. Then the winch is still bolted directly to the frame, it'll sit lower than the grill and won't obstruct air flow, plus I get to keep my nice chrome 3 piece. Additionally, having the winch a little lower will improve winching capabilities I think. I plan to work on it this weekend and will post pics.
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

I started replicating the winch bumper mounts for a post-mount FSJ. All the steel I'm using is 1/4" thick. I cut the metal cut this afternoon and starting fitting it together. Got too dark tonight so I'll wrap it up tomorrow. Pics to come...

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racerx12003r1

Re: Winch bumper mounts, need advice

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I believe it has been said "necessity is the mother of all invention". I'v found out since I bought my old J10 I have to fab up about everything I have needed. Couldn't find a decent tailgate? make it. front bumper? make it. fuel tank? make it. I'm getting ready to fab up a winch mount soon too though. I also opened a thread about winch mounts in the modified section. Got some really good responses too. Well, keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming. :-bd
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

I've got two options:

Or

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Warn bumper with 3"x8" tube spacer:

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Ok, so that 3x8 piece of tube is out. It weighs an extra 40 pounds that I don't need hanging off the front and it looks goofy. The winch plate in the bumper is 6 inches narrow than the FSJ frame so I'll need to use some 1/4" plate to fill the gap. The local steel yard sells 2x2 tubing already cut for DIY trailer hitches. My new idea is to bolt a section of 2x2 on top of each frame mount then weld about 6 inches of plate to that. This does three things; 1) raises the bumper 2 1/4" to better fit the body lines, 2) fills the gap between the frame width and the width of the winch plate, and 3) I can slide Shackle Receivers into each tube for tow points. It all sounds good in my head, so feel free to call me out if this seems sketchy...

I'll post progress pics from my phone.

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Here's what it should look like when finished, the 2x4s representing the hitch receivers.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I think you have got something there. I really think it looks good. The big thing is functionality. The last winch mount I made picked my truck up off the ground and didnt move and it weighed in at over 6000 lbs. It was built a bit overkill though. ;) Funny thing is the only times I used it was to pull other people out of bad spots. Again though. I think it looks great what you have come up with.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Almost finished now. I've got everything painted and will bolt it all together tomorrow. Here are pics of the progress:

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Got this wrapped up today with the addition of some tow shackles and my winch.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Love the bumper and looks good. Do you have just the four bolts per side? If you plan on using the winch, I would add some bolts going through the bottom of the frame into the angle iron. The frame is boxed, so drill the holes from underneath, and then get some thread cutter bolts. They work quite well.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Stuka wrote:Love the bumper and looks good. Do you have just the four bolts per side? If you plan on using the winch, I would add some bolts going through the bottom of the frame into the angle iron. The frame is boxed, so drill the holes from underneath, and then get some thread cutter bolts. They work quite well.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestions. The frame mounts are exact replicas for post mount Warn style winch bumpers. The angle iron doesn't sit flat against the bottom of the frame either, except at the very end. I could probably put a bolt through the frame just below the spring mount. What are thread cutter bolts? Like a self-tapping?

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. The frame mounts are exact replicas for post mount Warn style winch bumpers. The angle iron doesn't sit flat against the bottom of the frame either, except at the very end. I could probably put a bolt through the frame just below the spring mount. What are thread cutter bolts? Like a self-tapping?
Yes, they're like self tapping screws, but bolt sized. You'll need to drill the pilot hole first, though. Ask for them at your local hardware store, or a specialty bolt store (they can also be ordered online: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/fa ... rews%22%7C~)

Chevy uses them quite a bit on their frames- so if you want used, hit up a wrecking yard and start pulling bolts off the front frame rails of a Chevy blazer.

How do you like your winch bumper?

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

66stepside wrote:[Yes, they're like self tapping screws, but bolt sized. You'll need to drill the pilot hole first, though. Ask for them at your local hardware store, or a specialty bolt store (they can also be ordered online: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/fa ... rews%22%7C~)

Chevy uses them quite a bit on their frames- so if you want used, hit up a wrecking yard and start pulling bolts off the front frame rails of a Chevy blazer.

How do you like your winch bumper?
There is an existing hole in the frame on either side that I could use to run a bolt through the angle iron. Looks like it would hold a 9/16 bolt, I just need to drill a hole in the bracket. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I've used the winch a couple of times, not to get me unstuck but to pull up a hill. I've also been towed once using the passenger side tow hook (my throttle cable broke). Granted the bumper hasn't been put under extreme use yet, but so far my mounts are holding strong and it's functional.

On a side note, the VR10000 seems to be a decent winch for the price. I got mine a few years ago during a sale on Amazon so I only paid $470 with free shipping. Can't really beat the price. It is very slow though and kinda loud. The only other winch I have personal experience with is a Warn XD9000i, which I had mounted to a TJ. There is no comparison between the two, but at a third the cost of an XD9000i I'm happy with it :-bd

I also picked up a set of NOS old school Warn fog lights with amber lenses for dirt cheap ($40) that I will be mounting on the bumper as well.

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Warn fog lights

Current view

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

44bz wrote:Image

On the second pic there is a bolt coming from flat strap to tube. Is that just to hold in place while you fab or? I bought a bumper that was on an 84 with one piece bumper and my 76 had A three piece so having to fab up mounts.
1976 Waggy 401

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Looking good 44BZ Kudos. you can't over attach it.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?