Flex what you got

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Southern Gorilla

Re: Flex what you got

Post by Southern Gorilla »

REDONE wrote:On a side note it's great to finally put a face to the name! You're right, it's green and I can tell that just sitting there, it's loud! :-bd
I'm betting, just based on appearances, it sounds an awful lot like chitty-chitty bang-bang. :P
Having seller's regret.

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Well, thats a pretty good guess! Its loud enough that you have to yell over it, its got cracks in the vacuum lines so it sputters a good bit, and backfires every time you let off the gas :oops: I absolutely hate that YFA carb... I just started a build thread on it if you guys want to check it out. Anywho, lets get back to the flexing! :D
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

'88 GW 4" lift and these are 32x11.5x15's...

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Wow, that driver front tire is stuffed way in there. Impressive!
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Interesting factoid. The more flex a vehicle has, the less stable it is.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

csuengr wrote:Interesting factoid. The more flex a vehicle has, the less stable it is.
I'd love to hear the basis for that opinion.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Fleg wrote:
csuengr wrote:Interesting factoid. The more flex a vehicle has, the less stable it is.
Ever notice how super flexy buggies use sway bars. A Range Rover sport is incredibly stable and has fantastic handling. Doesn't flex at all, unless you push the sway bar disconnect button. I loved to watch these super flexy buggies on mild off camber situations Just lean like they were going to fall over. My CJ has a track bar on the front and drives very well down the road. I also have never wished it flexed more. I would never have a Jeep that drove like crap on the road so it could have lots of travel off road.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

I would rather drive my tall wide wag on 38's w/o a sway bar than a tall narrow cj on 35's with a sway bar anyday. In an evasive maneuver or hard cornering I bet the cj rolls over first.

edit: agreed that more flex = less stable. Just not convinced that having a sway bar on a cj will make it any better than a wag or j-truck w/ some flex .
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

My CJ is also tall and wide. I am trying to figure out how to lower it and keep the 35's. I said track bar. I do also have a sway bar that I unhook offroad, only. My current Cherokee will have sway bars front and rear. I am trying to figure out how to get a track bar on the rear also. Not as easy on my Jeep as you would think.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

never tried this...dont know how...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Your taking one very specific situation to make a very general statement.

csuengr wrote:
Fleg wrote:
Ever notice how super flexy buggies use sway bars. A Range Rover sport is incredibly stable and has fantastic handling. Doesn't flex at all, unless you push the sway bar disconnect button. I loved to watch these super flexy buggies on mild off camber situations Just lean like they were going to fall over. My CJ has a track bar on the front and drives very well down the road. I also have never wished it flexed more. I would never have a Jeep that drove like crap on the road so it could have lots of travel off road.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

2nd test run of the SOA/SF/Axle swap from 2006 on 36's.

LC 2010 on 35's.

A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Here's my 79 Cherokee Chief with SOA and shackle flip. I would also like to add that I built this vehicle to be a trail capable and comfortable rig to enjoy the trails with my wife and my 5 and 8 year old girls and still be able to use it as a daily driver. I feel I have created just that. We just came back from our second year at the Halloween Spook Rally here in Arizona, which is a great, nighttime, off road game put on by the Arizona Rough Riders 4-wheel drive club, where you pick up clue sheets that give directions to the next checkpoint/ haunted house. That's right, they set up haunted houses in the desert! It's a timed and mileage tracked event. That is what I call family fun! The ride difference from the 4" spring lift I had last year was amazing. Our kidneys and backs certainly appreciated the change.

The way I see it is if I wanted a vehicle for blasting through the switchbacks, I'd buy a sports car and I'm certainly not going to spend close to $100,000 on a Range Rover and then tear it up on the trails. Who am I kidding, I CAN not and WOULD not spend that kind of money on ANY vehicle. The Jeep is awesome on the trails and handles just fine on the highway, as long as the sway bar is connected and I remember I am driving an off-road vehicle and not a Porsche. That is all.

Sorry if I drifted from the subject a bit.

Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

One thing I've always been curious about is how much wheel travel it takes to flex like this. Has anybody measured theirs to see? I see the baja rigs running high-zoot suspension to get absurd travel. But y'all seem to be getting perfectly respectable levels of flex from basically stock pieces.

Aren't there aftermarket swaybar disconnects? I'm definitely going to run swaybars on mine. But it would be nice to be able to easily disconnect them for rougher trails.
Having seller's regret.

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Bj's Off Road has these. Love them!

Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

rockcandy
Vendor

Post by rockcandy »

csuengr wrote:
Fleg wrote:
Clearly, with a trac bar and no desire to have more flex on your jeep, you haven't left a powerline road. Ever.

I'd have to disagree with you. Your experience has obviously been with less than ideal suspension setups. There are actually a lot of things that go into making a balanced suspension in a rig, which most people aren't capable of or don't wish to spend the money to do it correctly. I would never opt for a Range Rover sport for any reasonably serious wheeling scenario.

Here is my Cherokee from back in the day... Very stable with this suspension setup.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Carnage BV twice and Patriot once. Two of the hardest trails in Colorado. Not to mention Upper Woodpecker and Highway to Hell in AZ. No problem with articulation. And I was on AT tires. I'll post pics as proof later.

Your suspension isn't that balanced, you have more articulation in the rear then the front. That is an issue when using coils springs on one end and leaves on the other, in addition to the narrow spring spacing of your coils. Leaf springs have progressive spring rates and that is what is making that Cherk stable, especially when it has more weight on the front. An un-chopped Waggy or Cherokee has more weight on the rear, though not by much. It is due to the wagon body style.

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

So you've been on four trails and can redesign someones suspensiln based on three pictures? I stand by my earlier post....

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

Do you have any more pics with the Humvee rims? Are you running spacers?

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Fleg wrote:So you've been on four trails and can redesign someones suspensiln based on three pictures? I stand by my earlier post....
I've been wheeling for 15 years in four different vehicles. I have also studied suspension design and have coursework in vehicle dynamics. What you got?