safari snorkel

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

VOX

Re: safari snorkel

Post by VOX »

Southern Gorilla wrote:But then it becomes a visibility issue. I like that style because it doesn't look like the normal snorkel. The usual style seems a bit like the 4x4 equivalent of "rice" to me.
I don't get the rice part of that SG, but having a tube going up along the pass. A-pillar to the roof will surely hamper your right side visibility some, they make the tubes flat for that reason.

Stock cars draw air through the cowl vent because there's a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Cool clean air. Besides, couldn't you just keep an extension tube with you in case the water is that deep? I'd prefer the cowl idea first, then SGs small snorkle with an extender for just in case. But I don't like drawing attention to my cars, I'd rather people just ignore them.
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

I hope you have your SCUBA with you if you ever get that deep.

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

VOX wrote:I don't get the rice part of that SG,
This should explain it; http://mindovermotor.com/2011/07/29/car ... e-a-ricer/
VOX wrote:Stock cars draw air through the cowl vent because there's a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Cool clean air. Besides, couldn't you just keep an extension tube with you in case the water is that deep? I'd prefer the cowl idea first, then SGs small snorkle with an extender for just in case. But I don't like drawing attention to my cars, I'd rather people just ignore them.
Stock cars do that because they are prohibited from using actual scoops. It isn't the most effective intake solution.
Having seller's regret.

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

There have been plenty of times I got my stock enclosed air filter wet wheeling and had to deal with it sputtering most of the day. I've been with plenty of guys that stalled their jeeps in water crossings. I've heard of a few that hydro locked them and caused serious damage but I never personally saw one we couldn't get going just by pulling the plugs and getting it cranking. My bud used to run an open k&n with the filter top. We went through some real deep water one day and the fan manged to throw enough water around that when we started working on it to get it going we found the carb full of water. We got it home but it did need a couple pushrods.
If you run the intake into the cowl don't you get direct fuel bowl vapors inside the truck? Same thing running it inside the truck, and you get to listen to that carb sucking air in.
Eventually I'm going to do one like the river raider. It would help out big time for the wheeling I do.

Southern Gorilla

jamesdart wrote:There have been plenty of times I got my stock enclosed air filter wet wheeling and had to deal with it sputtering most of the day. I've been with plenty of guys that stalled their jeeps in water crossings. I've heard of a few that hydro locked them and caused serious damage but I never personally saw one we couldn't get going just by pulling the plugs and getting it cranking. My bud used to run an open k&n with the filter top. We went through some real deep water one day and the fan manged to throw enough water around that when we started working on it to get it going we found the carb full of water. We got it home but it did need a couple pushrods.
If you run the intake into the cowl don't you get direct fuel bowl vapors inside the truck? Same thing running it inside the truck, and you get to listen to that carb sucking air in.
Eventually I'm going to do one like the river raider. It would help out big time for the wheeling I do.
I sincerely hope my "rice" comment above didn't lead anybody to think I feel snorkels are useless. I'll probably run one on my rig because we get flooded pretty regularly around here. It's not snorkels in general I have an issue with. It's snorkels installed by guys who haven't done anything to address the other issues folks have mentioned in this thread. Keeping water out of the carb doesn't really help if the distributor is soaked.

You could also mount the intake on the roof and run the duct on the inside of the A-pillar then through the cowl. That would get the intake up high without hanging ductwork out in the way of everything. It might also help with visibility. That sounds like a ton of work.
Having seller's regret.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Southern Gorilla wrote:You could also mount the intake on the roof and run the duct on the inside of the A-pillar then through the cowl. That would get the intake up high without hanging ductwork out in the way of everything. It might also help with visibility. That sounds like a ton of work.
Neat thought, but dont think you could get the volume of air needed to feed a v8 through it.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

I'll probably end up putting a snorkel on my j20, mainly because I'll be swapping to a diesel and would like to help out in natural disastor relief and during floods that seem more and more common around here. It is for those 1% times but it'll be good to know I have it.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Southern Gorilla

jaber wrote:
Southern Gorilla wrote:You could also mount the intake on the roof and run the duct on the inside of the A-pillar then through the cowl. That would get the intake up high without hanging ductwork out in the way of everything. It might also help with visibility. That sounds like a ton of work.
Neat thought, but dont think you could get the volume of air needed to feed a v8 through it.
Why not? I wasn't talking about running the air through the A-pillar. I meant run the duct inside the cab instead of outside. So the duct could be the same size as any external duct. Are the pillars completely hollow? I always figured there were braces or something inside. Now I'm curious about that idea.
Having seller's regret.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Theres a build thread here somewhere that a guy remade his a pillars and it was like 3 or 4 pieces of metal. Yes they are hollow, but not enough. I'm not sure why I thought you were talking about the pillar. :P

Now, if you could get back to the D pillar... :lol:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Found it. It starts towards the end of page 2. There are several cutaway shots for you... :-bd

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=20
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Southern Gorilla

Yeah, that would never work. I'm definitely leaning towards a snorkel with internal ducting. Mainly because I want the function of a snorkel but not the look.

You know what would be cooler than cool? A telescopic cowl-mount snorkel. Take that river raider style and make it extendable so that it sits flush when you're driving and then pops up like a power antenna when you need to ford something. I have no idea how to seal that.
Having seller's regret.

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

Southern Gorilla wrote:Yeah, that would never work. I'm definitely leaning towards a snorkel with internal ducting. Mainly because I want the function of a snorkel but not the look.

You know what would be cooler than cool? A telescopic cowl-mount snorkel. Take that river raider style and make it extendable so that it sits flush when you're driving and then pops up like a power antenna when you need to ford something. I have no idea how to seal that.
I've got a spare window motor and long worm gear from another car for ya

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

A long time ago, '80's, I remember reading about traveling through deep water. The article, if I remember correctly, even sported a Jeep pickup with a cab over camper. It talked about how to approach crossing deep water. The idea was to hit the water at a nice slow speed, in low range if available, about 4-6 mph. When the vehicle starts into the deep water it will begin to make a wake in front of it. You maintain your speed with the same speed as the wake you are generating. This will keep the engine bay fairly free of water and you can push through pretty deep water. The pictures were pretty amazing. This guy traveled a lot in swampy areas and new how to do it well.

Many years later, when I first got my Cherokee I was hunting with some friends. One friend was traveling with me and the other two were in a new Toyota Tacoma. We came upon a bridge we did not like the looks of so we decided to ford the river. We had crossed a similar river many times before and the water got just to the tops of the wheels and this looked no worse so we decided to go for it. Just by chance I decided to lock into low range and started across. Well I got about 5 feet in when the front of the Jeep dropped into a hole and water started to climb up the hood. I knew then that if I stopped I would be sunk (no pun intended). By time I would have stopped and got into reverse the engine bay would have swamped. That article flashed into mind and I just keep going. My friend was yelling, "This is deeper than Three Forks!" It was surreal, I was slowly moving forward and I had a small wake in front of me. I was looking out the side window and I was nearly looking at the surface of the water at eye level. I kept thinking the engine was going to stall at any moment and then I felt the jeep start to become buoyant. I got to thinking OH **** if I loose traction now I am in deep trouble because there was a deep hole not too much farther down river. We managed to keep enough traction to make it to the other side. When we pulled up onto the bank the CB crackled to life and my other two friends said "That was ******* cool! But we are not going to try it." Steam was blowing off the engine and exhaust so much I could hardly see around the truck. We got out and saw the water line was half way up the spare tire on the carrier which is as high as the decal on the sides. I have a picture, someday I'll have to scan it and post it. I posted a picture of the tire on the carrier so you can get a idea of just how deep the water was. Of course you would also have to realize that the suspension was also reaching maximum droop too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Southern Gorilla

theonetruegreg wrote:
Southern Gorilla wrote:You know what would be cooler than cool? A telescopic cowl-mount snorkel. Take that river raider style and make it extendable so that it sits flush when you're driving and then pops up like a power antenna when you need to ford something. I have no idea how to seal that.
I've got a spare window motor and long worm gear from another car for ya
Don't tempt a guy with a gadget fetish. :D
ghcoe wrote:"That was ******* cool!
Indeed it was. How much water made it into the cab? That's the one thing that bothers me when I think about fording. I don't want to have to replace the entire interior because I screwed up and misjudged a crossing.
Having seller's regret.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

It was surprisingly pretty dry. I did not have water pouring out when I opened the door but water did get in through some holes. No standing water just a well wetted out carpet in places.

I found a article that explains this technique. It is down the page a bit.

http://www.drivingfast.net/off-road/obs ... pCz5yXn9Bk
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Southern Gorilla

Interesting. I would have expected more flooding. It pays to have good door seals I suppose.
Having seller's regret.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Southern Gorilla wrote:Interesting. I would have expected more flooding. It pays to have good door seals I suppose.

And no rust out zones..... :-bd
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I would carry a pair of dive fins with me in the jeep before messing around with a snorkel but that is just me.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

fulsizjeep wrote:I would carry a pair of dive fins with me in the jeep before messing around with a snorkel but that is just me.

X2

I simply don't see the point. If you are really going to go through water that deep, then build a bigger truck :fsj:

Southern Gorilla

Blake wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:I would carry a pair of dive fins with me in the jeep before messing around with a snorkel but that is just me.

X2

I simply don't see the point. If you are really going to go through water that deep, then build a bigger truck :fsj:
It doesn't have to be deep water to cause problems. I hit puddles all the time in the Peterbilt at work and have water splash all over the windshield. The bottom of the windshield is over six feet off the ground and it gets flooded by an ordinary puddle. With as much flooding as we get around here I'm definitely running my intake as high as I can.
Having seller's regret.