Leaf Springs--Atlas or National

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
srunyon

Leaf Springs--Atlas or National

Post by srunyon »

Is anyone running these leafs? Just bought a '83 J20 and it's currently set up as SOA...going to re-do the suspension and put the springs under the axle as the steering isn't compatible with SOA. I've heard good things about National Leaf and Atlas, but they're a bit expensive. Also, curious to hear about anyone running Fox Shocks? I run 37" tires currently and will probably keep it that way....just FYI. Thanks for the feedback!
83 Jeep J20 Rebuild (Currently)
14 JKU Sahara Supercharged and Lifted
07 JK Rubicon
10 JK Sport
80 CJ7
84 CJ7

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Leaf Springs--Atlas or National

Post by Stuka »

We have a lot of people running Alcan springs. I can think of 1-2 people running national, not sure on atlas.

Good shocks are rarely a bad idea. They make such a big difference in ride and handling.

As for your steering, its pretty easy to setup for cross over steering. Going spring under is going to make your ride a lot stiffer as you need more arch in the spring. All you need is a passenger side knuckle that has been setup for a high steer arm, and the drag link connects to that over the top of the leaf spring. Very common thing for SOA conversions on FSJs.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
srunyon

Post by srunyon »

Thanks. I think I'm going to stick with stock springs and keep the SOA...was thinking about switching a couple things but gonna keep it as is. The way the SOA was done by the guy who had it before me has all kinds of issues. Gonna get the kit from Parts Mike and roll with it.
83 Jeep J20 Rebuild (Currently)
14 JKU Sahara Supercharged and Lifted
07 JK Rubicon
10 JK Sport
80 CJ7
84 CJ7

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

srunyon wrote:Thanks. I think I'm going to stick with stock springs and keep the SOA...was thinking about switching a couple things but gonna keep it as is. The way the SOA was done by the guy who had it before me has all kinds of issues. Gonna get the kit from Parts Mike and roll with it.
I think you will be much happier with that setup.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ