Anyone Running a Traction Bar? Axle Truss?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
HeavyMetalThunder_81

Anyone Running a Traction Bar? Axle Truss?

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Like the title says. Is anyone here running a traction (anti-wrap) bar with or without an axle truss? I'd love to see your ideas. Where did you mount the shackle end? Heims on both ends? Heim on one end and bushings on the other? Shackle in tension or compression? How and where did you mount the axle bracket? Did you truss the axle? I'll be running 35's with 4.10 gears/Detroit locker and don't want any axle wrap or my axle tubes to spin. I experience quite a bit of axle wrap now with stock gears and 33's.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

REDONE

Re: Anyone Running a Traction Bar? Axle Truss?

Post by REDONE »

Blake is the only one I know of running a traction bar. Hopefully he'll come along with his pics.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

front

rear. dont mind the oil splatter. must have released air from air tank....quite awhile ago & cant remember. also cant find any pics of the shackle ends. :banghead: 8" separation. 3/4" heim on the other end.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
HeavyMetalThunder_81

68glad wrote:front

rear. dont mind the oil splatter. must have released air from air tank....quite awhile ago & cant remember. also cant find any pics of the shackle ends. :banghead: 8" separation. 3/4" heim on the other end.
Photosuckit strikes again! :x
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

68glad

Post by 68glad »

wth.....so much for most of my pics. not paying 400 thats for sure. sorry
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

68 Gladiator- RIP

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

OK, I really need to set up my photos somewhere else.. I just logged into PB for the 1st time in awhile and had to click through 6 or 8 freakin ads and crap just to see my own library! geez.

Well, if you are willing, go to the folder here:
http://s552.photobucket.com/user/jpswap ... t=2&page=1

It is public, so I assume you can still do that.

I have NT wagoneer axles under my YJ and have a Barnes D44 truss on the rear with a antiwrap that a buddy and I made. It is angled on the axle due to clearance (my rear shocks are inboarded substantially). The Barnes truss is good gear. It came with outers to be welded onto it, but I just didn't have room for them. The main piece is very solid as-is, so no worries. The whole set up works great.

We made a crossmember to attach up front. bushings on the 2 connections on the axle and helm joint and bushing up front. The angle of the lower arm almost exactly matches the driveshaft angle.

After my last disaster at Uwharrie, I just installed a new custom skid plate. Unfortunately, it just barely interferes with the antiwar crossmember. I will likely do a little clearancing to the skid mounts to get the crossmember back into its original location. If that doesn't work, I will have to shift it back about 2". I "think" I have enough adjustment on the helm to make that work if I have to.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
HeavyMetalThunder_81

Looks great JP! I like that its angled and mounted on the truss. Quick question. Any reason you mounted the shackle inverted? Ground clearance?
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

The shackle on the truss being up instead of down: 1. clearance, and 2. mainly because it works better that way. The shackle on the anti-wrap is up instead of down so when the rear axle droops, it has room to move in an arch. If it were down, it could really only move back. If you are building an antiwarp, the shackle should be up. It allows it to move down and back in the arch that is needed.

The angled bar is the only solution we could come up with based on the space that is available. I knew I needed the truss and I needed the antiwrap. This was a unique solution that has proven to work really well.
East Coast Gears is rebuilding the rear looked at it this week. They also were impressed with the design. They had not seen one set up the same way. My buddy, Dale, was the mastermind of the design. I encouraged him to put it into production, but he is also active Army, like me, and said, "I am sure anyone with the same space constraints would come up with the same solution. It's obvious." (typically the thought when you come up with something unique..)
All I can say is that it is very effective and I have been very happy with it.

I will also say that many Jeepers have been amazed at how well my YJ flexes. I put a few TJ owners to shame on the RTI with my "old fashioned leaf spring setup". The old man emu 2.5" spring, SOA have been all I could hope for.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
HeavyMetalThunder_81

jpswapmohn wrote:The shackle on the truss being up instead of down: 1. clearance, and 2. mainly because it works better that way. The shackle on the anti-wrap is up instead of down so when the rear axle droops, it has room to move in an arch. If it were down, it could really only move back. If you are building an antiwarp, the shackle should be up. It allows it to move down and back in the arch that is needed.

The angled bar is the only solution we could come up with based on the space that is available. I knew I needed the truss and I needed the antiwrap. This was a unique solution that has proven to work really well.
East Coast Gears is rebuilding the rear looked at it this week. They also were impressed with the design. They had not seen one set up the same way. My buddy, Dale, was the mastermind of the design. I encouraged him to put it into production, but he is also active Army, like me, and said, "I am sure anyone with the same space constraints would come up with the same solution. It's obvious." (typically the thought when you come up with something unique..)
All I can say is that it is very effective and I have been very happy with it.

I will also say that many Jeepers have been amazed at how well my YJ flexes. I put a few TJ owners to shame on the RTI with my "old fashioned leaf spring setup". The old man emu 2.5" spring, SOA have been all I could hope for.
Well, I hope you and your buddy don't mind but I think I may use that design. One more question about the truss...is it connected to the pumpkin at all?
-Jonny B.
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI

1979 Wagoneer - Sold

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Don't mind at all. haven't built any more of 'em. Hope it works out well for you.

I "think" we did run a bead where the truss makes contact with the edge of the pumpkin on either side. But I can't recall for sure and the Jeep is in the shop. We talked about it, but it was a late night in the garage and driveway when we got it in. He probably did.
We talked about making a bracket to attach truss to upper diff cover bolts. Hard to see in the photos, but with the pumpkin angle (driveline angle), the truss actually sits a bit in front of the diff cover. A bracket to attach to the diff cover bolts would have been cumbersome and not likely to help much of anything.

We cleaned the plug welds for the tubes-into-pumpkin and built up the weld to them. For the Barnes D44 truss, we had to clearance the arches a bit to get it to fit around and sit nice and flush on the tubes. You will also notice that we welded up the corners on the top of truss. Barnes folds the lips, but does not weld those. If you are adding the additional outer legs, there is no need. Heck, there probably isn't a need here considering how thick the truss is. But, figured it would help stiffen up the structure a little.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Sent pictures to Johnny b
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.