New Member with some questions on a FSJ

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
luked

New Member with some questions on a FSJ

Post by luked »

I have been looking for an offroad rig to play around with with the kids. a while back I had a 97 TJ that had been scabbed together but it worked but had no room for 4 people in it.
so I got rid of the TJ with plans to get something bigger. While looking around I have a friend whos family has a salvage yard that has loads of old stuff.
I managed to get out there this past Sunday to look around and found this old FSJ. Now granted I didn't know much about them at all until doing some reading on them last night. this rig is a Cherokee Chief model. its pretty well complete from what I could tell but couldn't get all the way under it to really look hard at it. from what I did gather from it is it is a v8 model so I assume it is either the 360 or 401 since it has a Motorcraft 4 barrel on it. im assuming it is the Turbo 400 trans and it said Quadratrac on the back tailgate. but didn't get a chance to see if the transfer case was still in it. I did see a lever on the inside on the right side of the steering colum that said (low Range). but it did look like someone had cobbeled up some type of shifter in the trans hump but it didn't feel like it was attached. On the axles from what I have been reading the Chief has wider axles and was D44 front and rear. the front did not have lockouts and I am assuming that is because of the Quadratrac from the factory.

some things im trying to figure out are
from what I have read the Quadratrac isn't the best transfer case what others will work? is the Quadratrac the only one that will mate up with the T400 that is in it( assuming its not a T727 trans)
on the front axle is there a way to change it to lockouts?
im wanting to do a SOA swap to get some clearance for at least 35s will be doing some fender trimming as well since it does have some rust.
what should I do for steering with the SOA swap? I read a little this morning and some said to go with High Steer knuckles but not having much luck finding them on the Bjs Offroad link unless im just not looking in the right place. and what other steering problems will I be running into.

this is going to be strictly an off road rig only since I cant get a title for it and really that is all im looking for is something to off road with the kids and family some. we have a couple of pretty good off road parks here close and like to rock crawl.
down the road I have plans to put in D60s front and rear but for now want to run as much of the stock drive train as possible.

any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Charles Kline

Re: New Member with some questions on a FSJ

Post by Charles Kline »

Depends on the year. 79 was the last year for the TH400.

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome!

No picture and no year so it is hard to answer your TC questions. Lots of people like the original BW quadratrac. But jeep also put in a new process version in the 80's and still used the term quadratrac.

If it has the th400 and original quadratrac your swap options are a bit limited without changing the transmission output shaft.

If it is a later model from the 80's it will have a TF727 which has a standard jeep output and there are a lot more transfer case swap options.

SOA is a great swap. High steer is needed and many folks do high crossover. BJ's sells a kit so keep looking. There are many ways to do a SOA so do some searching on what might work best for you and your budget.

You won't need to trim with SOA and 35's on a wide track. Also check out these guys for the perches for the SOA and a shackle flip for the rear:

http://ttsfabworks.com/
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

the year I didn't get so not sure what year it is. I never thought to look.
just kind of looking for options right now.
I found another quadratrac transfer case I can get for $50. so ill prob buy it just to have a spare.

one thing I thought was odd which this thing is sitting in a junkyard and I couldn't get underneath it to look, some one has cobbled in a shifter through the trans hump inside. but when I moved it around it didn't have any resistance to it like it was hooked up to anything.
I did see a lever more of a pull type from what it looked like that said "low Range" on it.

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Some folks think the vacuum actuated shift on the T case is bad and copple together manual linkage for it. You see that more in the NP229 since those switch from 2WD to 4WD (think AMC Eagle) The QT case is always in 4WD so putting in a manual shift to engage Emergency Drive would be kinda silly.

I'd bet your were looking at an early 80's with the TF727 and NP228/229

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

Im going to try and get back out there to check it out a little closer and see if I can get it running possibly.
it wasn't in the best of shape but will work for what im wanting to use it for.

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

I was just assuming that it was a quadratrac since that's what he emblem on the tailgate said.
and other than the goofy shifter that someone cobbled up it didn't look like it has been changed much at all.

bigun

Post by bigun »

If we knew where you were at someone local might be able to help you Id it

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

and I might be wrong but wasn't the newer Transfer cases like the np 229 a drivers side drop?
the front diff on this FSJ I was looking at is pass side diff I was able to see that much under it

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

bigun wrote:If we knew where you were at someone local might be able to help you Id it
im in Cuba Missouri

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

luked wrote:and I might be wrong but wasn't the newer Transfer cases like the np 229 a drivers side drop?
the front diff on this FSJ I was looking at is pass side diff I was able to see that much under it

Then yes, its most likely a QT.

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

I got a line on a QT here locally for $50 figured if nothing else it would be a decent spare.
my plan with the rig at this point is to get it going enough to play around with some and modify as I go.
I have a friend that gave me a pair of Dana 60s and would also like to get a 350 TBI motor and drive train in it when I put the Dana 60s in
but for now I just want to try and run the stock drive train on a SOA if possible for a while.
just trying to learn the ropes on these rigs as I really don't know much about them at all. I know the AMC stuff was a little different on what will work with what and so on.
I liked the fact that this one had a good V8 and the T400(hopefully) but wasn't sure about the QT never really delt with them much at all.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The QT doesn't deserve it's bad reputation. For decades people put the wrong fluid in it so they'd explode. Also for about 30 years there were no replacements for the clutch cones, which are a wear part, but now you can get those too!

The downside of the QT is that all the work goes through the chain, as it drives both the front and rear driveshafts. Since the chain has more meat than any other t-case chain I've held in my hands (including the NP203 that came in 1 tons trucks) it's really not a strength issue so much as a wear issue (within reason). I rank the QT at the top of aluminum chain-driven transfercases. It's not the same a iron gear driven cases or uber tough aftermarket cases like Atlas', but it's great for what it is.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

so how hard of a job is it to replace the chain and clutch cones in one of the QT.
im no newbie to mechanical stuff but have never messed with the innards of a transfer case. can rebuild a motor and so on but never tried a transfer case.
just trying to weigh all my options.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The clutch cones last dang near forever, but they do wear out eventually so don't count on need those right away. As far as the chain, I watched a guy in Ouray do it in 20 minutes. For those like me who Jeep wrench as a form of meditation, it's a leisurely 1 1/2 hour job.

Our member fulsizjeep is the resident QT masochist, and he put together this page so he wouldn't have to answer the same questions over and over. It's a really informative read, and not too dry (with lots of pics!).
http://www.jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/

You really shouldn't need these, but just in case you do:
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Quadratrac-Cl ... _1681.html
Last edited by REDONE on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
luked

Post by luked »

thanks a ton Redone..i do appreciate that info.
im going to take a closer look at this particular FSJ this weekend hopefully and will know some more about it then.

also am I right in finding that the rear axle in these rigs is offset to one side?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yep, both axles are offset to the passenger side. I don't remember all the interchange info, but some of the rear shafts are shared between models, just on different sides of the diff, not that it really matters. The center is still a regular D44 and uses regular D44 gears and lockers n' such, and the brakes parts are all available too.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Is that WT cherks only? I'm almost positive the rear on my Honcho is center...

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Charles Kline wrote:Is that WT cherks only? I'm almost positive the rear on my Honcho is center...
If it's the original axle it's offset, it's just not as noticable in the trucks because the added width is on the passenger side.

EDIT to add that all the trucks from the quadratrac years got the same offset axle, even if they came with a D20 instead.
Grizzly Locker Rear

bigun

Post by bigun »

REDONE wrote:
Charles Kline wrote:Is that WT cherks only? I'm almost positive the rear on my Honcho is center...
If it's the original axle it's offset, it's just not as noticable in the trucks because the added width is on the passenger side.

EDIT to add that all the trucks from the quadratrac years got the same offset axle, even if they came with a D20 instead.
We tried to put a 9 inch and had it all welded up when we found that it wouldn't work because the drive shaft was going to hit the gas tank