Cheapthrills

Re: Overland DREAMING fun

Post by Cheapthrills »

And I do electrical install not oil stuff

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

The weed debate makes me laugh. I've never done it and don't plan to, ever. Personal choice. And while I could not really care any less what people put in their bodies, or why. My only issue is responsibility of those who do. I don't care to see my taxes go for folks who use any drug irresponsibly and then demand help when the drug stuff catches up to them.
Sorry, a little too preachy but my point was (supposed to be) intended to be humorous. Everyone asks me why I moved to CO. Their usual jab is "it's because of the weed, right?"
Nope, sorry. I came here for the mountains and the hope to use my jeep to wander around in them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Re: RE: Re: Overland DREAMING fun

Post by Cheapthrills »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:The weed debate makes me laugh. I've never done it and don't plan to, ever. Personal choice. And while I could not really care any less what people put in their bodies, or why. My only issue is responsibility of those who do. I don't care to see my taxes go for folks who use any drug irresponsibly and then demand help when the drug stuff catches up to them.
Sorry, a little too preachy but my point was (supposed to be) intended to be humorous. Everyone asks me why I moved to CO. Their usual jab is "it's because of the weed, right?"
Nope, sorry. I came here for the mountains and the hope to use my jeep to wander around in them. :)

Yea agreed and my wife would agree too.... in our case my personal reason that I'd prefer her try med use is she is on a steady diet of opiates (quantity to put an elephant in a comma) and she has lost her career because a jack *** surgeon screwed up her back during two surgeries and she has too much spinal fluid pressure that causes migraines ... any how... nough bout that....lol

I moved here 13 yrs ago I've traveled all over the state but not as much as I'd like for pleasure....

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Overland DREAMING fun

Post by Cheapthrills »

Cheapthrills wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:The weed debate makes me laugh. I've never done it and don't plan to, ever. Personal choice. And while I could not really care any less what people put in their bodies, or why. My only issue is responsibility of those who do. I don't care to see my taxes go for folks who use any drug irresponsibly and then demand help when the drug stuff catches up to them.

Yea agreed and my wife would agree too.... in our case my personal reason that I'd prefer her try med use is she is on a steady diet of opiates (quantity to put an elephant in a comma) and she has lost her career because a jack *** surgeon screwed up her back during two surgeries and she has too much spinal fluid pressure that causes migraines ... any how... nough bout that....lol

I moved here 13 yrs ago I've traveled all over the state but not as much as I'd like for pleasure....

How do i reply on tapatalk without quoting?

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Never mind figured it out feel dumb now... lol

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

It's the exact same reason we're trying to get my father in law on it. Carrer firefighter, building collapse broke his back and they just keep feeding him stronger and stronger opiates.

To try and walk this back towards the original topic, have you watched any Ouray vids like the ones bill towers or wayalife have put up? Still more 4 wheeling then overlanding but it's how I get an adventure fix between opportunities...
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Overland DREAMING fun

Cheapthrills wrote:

It's interesting how our spouses have difficulties/issues. My wife has a pharmacy of stuff to keep her (relatively) normal. All manner of stuff. And while I love her and appreciate her trying to help, I won't take that stuff. Too scared I'd get addicted. Maybe we should start a sick wives Expedition club... sort of us "recreation widower" until they get better. Image

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Sooooooo.... Are we talking about uinta county Utah? :D
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I think it's a good idea to make a club for us spouse challenged guys haha.

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

My rigs still need a lot of work to be worthy of anything

tedlovesjeeps71

Cheapthrills wrote:My rigs still need a lot of work to be worthy of anything

I'm too broke and unemployed for anything so I feel ya. Hopefully things will turn around soon. For all of us!!

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Cheapthrills wrote:Man that is a really good looking waggy,

Thanks! It took me all over Colorado, when I lived there. (I lived just north of Sedalia and used to hang out there all the time!)

Most of my Colorado "wheeling" in the Wagoneer consisted of short overland trips or weekend adventures. If you're interested in some Wagoneer Adventures, here some of the trips I took in mine:

Ouray: 4 days, 5 trails
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=9237

Georgetown: Mclellan Mountain and Argentine Pass

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=8783

Russel Gulch: (Fun and easy day trip)

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=8608

Walden area trails in winter:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=9549

Shrine Pass to RedCliff and Slide Lake:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=8656
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Nice thank you

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:The overland trip I've been dreaming of is a week exploring uinta county in Utah. I've only spent a day exploring it back in 2007 looking for a secret military space port (that replaced area 51). There was a lot of interesting stuff I didn't have time to check out. If anyone is bored on the internet, go to Google maps, search "big park Utah", switch to satellite or Google Earth and just start zooming in on stuff. Why does this place warrant special note in Google maps, when there is not a shred of information on it anywhere else on the internet!?!?

Unfortunately, this is a real tough sell for a family vacation idea...
Daggett county is a great place to explore too. There are a lot of overland routes between Grand Junction and vernal to explore, and a lot of forest roads in Daggett up by the Flaming Gorge. You could see a lot of scenery on a four day trip.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

On the subject, here is a nice little day trip from Moab to Vernel: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moab,+U ... 555157!3e0
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Nikkormat wrote:On the subject, here is a nice little day trip from Moab to Vernel: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moab,+U ... 555157!3e0
I have done part of that route, but started at Mack, CO and went over Baxter pass. Didn't go all the way to Vernal, but the round trip was eight hours.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I was inspired by stories of that kind of adventure all the way back in jr. High (early 80's). I've read various adventures more recently.

Realistically, with a 30 year old Jeep I am not going to be doing any real scary, month-long stuff like driving across other countries and continents. :)

My big overland dream is a road trip down to North Rim and exploring that area and heading back. Some day...

I built my rig to drive to/from -- and wheel over -- relatively tough trails, with gear storage for multiple day trips, off road gps topo mapping, and 4 radio bands (CB, 2m, 70cm, 6m), lots of spare parts, recovery gear, etc.

The only true overland trips I have done were a few 3 day trips along White Rim in Canyonlands, UT. Which is awesome btw.

Having looked at overland rigs on forums I would want to add a few things to mine: cargo area storage drawers, APRS, real solar panels, aux battery, maybe a bigger inverter, temp controlled cooler, more water jugs onboard, and an aux gas tank and more Jerry cans.

Not really interested in a hot water shower system or rooftop tent like I see on many rigs. But was considering adding a platform in the cargo area for sleeping with cargo below to save the hassle of tent camping.

Hoping to do a trip with Rocky mountain overland club again this summer.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I cant wait to go explore some places reading your guys posts and the advised day trips... sadly my new reman gear box is waisted already .... big surprise there, lol. And my other Wagon has some serious undiagnosed engine issues.
But I still have my beautiful wife's 95 bronco

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's funny! Yesterday we started towards Deckers, CO just to see what there is to see but then realized we should've gassed up in Sedalia. :lol:

Made it as far as Sprucewood, stopped in for a quick taste of the local culture (seems painters clothes is the uniform of the day up that way). All in all a nice morning trip, considering it started with a stop at Macy's in Littleton when I said "I could go for some fresh air, how about you hon?" :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

How does overlanding compare with glamping?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.