Rusty Rockers

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Rusty Rockers

Post by Jonnyworld »

Has anyone looked at the 4 dr Rubicon rocker guards. I was thinking of cutting out wagoneer rockers and modifying rubicon guard as a replacement. I havent done any measuring yet. Just daydreaming curious if anyone else had the idea. They seem readily available on craigslist these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
82 wagoneer 360 4spd
with a well lubed driveway.
4 inch skyjacker lift

I can fix it or fix or I can fix it where no one else can."

Adventure_Wagon88

Re: Rusty Rockers

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Interesting idea and yeah these are readily available on CL in my area too! My rockers aren't rusty but I've been thinking about a way to replace them using heavy angle for the inside and then having a metal fab shop brake form me an outside piece out of 3/16" plate to give it the two bends that the factory rocker has. Then I'd weld these two pieces together, then weld it to the body and probably use some 2x2 box tube extensions to bolt it into the frame near the body mount areas. I kinda doubt the measurements and angles will match up satisfactorily but do let us know what you find out!

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Re: RE: Re: Rusty Rockers

Post by Jonnyworld »

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:Interesting idea and yeah these are readily available on CL in my area too! My rockers aren't rusty but I've been thinking about a way to replace them using heavy angle for the inside and then having a metal fab shop brake form me an outside piece out of 3/16" plate to give it the two bends that the factory rocker has. Then I'd weld these two pieces together, then weld it to the body and probably use some 2x2 box tube extensions to bolt it into the frame near the body mount areas. I kinda doubt the measurements and angles will match up satisfactorily but do let us know what you find out!
I like that idea. My question is would you want to attach to frame due to body flex vs frame flex.

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

Adventure_Wagon88

Yeah I would love to get some more opinions on that. If I tied into the frame I guess it would be good to do so with a rubber mount but then that kinda defeats the purpose. Is it strong enough without that? I want to be able to high lift off the rocker or bash them on trails without worry. I know some have skinned them with plate so I think this would be even better but maybe I'm wrong

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

A number of people in the community have chopped out there rusty rockers and welded in box tubing sliders. If my daughter goes down for a nap today I'll get out my computer and see if I can find some pics.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Rest of the pic's are here.
http://s149.photobucket.com/user/tadsal ... eplacement

That's 2x6 10 gauge and they don't look quite that pretty anymore.
If you choose to do this I strongly suggest that you leave the inner lip about 1" lower than the outer lip.
That puts the majority of your underneath welding in the horizontal position.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Adventure_Wagon88

I'm not sure I understand your advice about leaving the inner lip 1" lower than the outer but I'm sure it will be crystal clear once I've already cut it 1" too short! My thought was to cut out the rocker completely, exposing the body supports that come out and tie the floor into the rocker so that you could just weld that and the steel used for the rocker together. I don't dislike the look of the 2x6 but I think I would like a little factory looking finish than that. What all did you tie yours into? Can you use the 2x6 rocker as a high lift point?

Topic author
Jonnyworld

Re: RE: Re: Rusty Rockers

Post by Jonnyworld »

Tad wrote:Image

Rest of the pic's are here.
http://s149.photobucket.com/user/tadsal ... eplacement

That's 2x6 10 gauge and they don't look quite that pretty anymore.
If you choose to do this I strongly suggest that you leave the inner lip about 1" lower than the outer lip.
That puts the majority of your underneath welding in the horizontal position.
Thanks for the pictures. That does look sturdy.

82 wagoneer 360 4spd
4 inch skyjacker lift

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:I'm not sure I understand your advice about leaving the inner lip 1" lower than the outer but I'm sure it will be crystal clear once I've already cut it 1" too short! My thought was to cut out the rocker completely, exposing the body supports that come out and tie the floor into the rocker so that you could just weld that and the steel used for the rocker together. I don't dislike the look of the 2x6 but I think I would like a little factory looking finish than that. What all did you tie yours into? Can you use the 2x6 rocker as a high lift point?

Maybe that pic will clarify things a bit.
The floor supports actually stop on the back side of the inner lip, I trimmed the lower part of those off too.
So essentially they are tied into everything you see there.
This really strengthened up that area and my doors actually shut better when the body is all twisted up now.
I've never been too concerned with a factory look on this rig since the only thing original is the frame and a few body parts.
I've never had to use a high lift in that area but I'm sure you could, mine are typically used sliding over our sharp desert rocks.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

HotrodSmurf

Post by HotrodSmurf »

Tad, did you beef up the floor supports between the slider and body mounts at all?
*1979 Wagoneer "Big Booty Judy" work in progress wheeling rig
*1994 F150 "Moms Truck" my pride and joy. Passed down from mom and grandpa, I miss you both.
*1976 F100 "UGLY" I'll finish it... one day... *UPDATE- negative, ghost rider. It has died so others may live.*
*2014 Mazda CX-5, wife's car. Good gas mileage, reliable. Everything my fleet isn't.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

HotrodSmurf wrote:Tad, did you beef up the floor supports between the slider and body mounts at all?
No.
I guess one might consider it that since those are attached to that inner lip which is now welded to a 2x6" tube, but I didn't do anything special in those areas.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project