GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Road Trip

Re: GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Post by Road Trip »

Glake, on the Vintage Air vent, did you have to cut the dash? If so, how much?
Robert

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Road Trip wrote:Glake, on the Vintage Air vent, did you have to cut the dash? If so, how much?
I only had to cut the tabs that hold the ashtray in place. The vents fit perfect.
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

It's been pretty hectic right now. In addition to all the normal everyday stuff and trying to get the truck done, our daughter decided on a last minute transfer to ASU, so we had to get her to AZ and get her temporarily settled at my wife's sister's house, and search for a condo to buy for her and our niece to live in. We've made a couple of trip back and forth with more to come.
The truck is pretty much done (are they ever done?), but I've been trying to get the bugs worked out. Since the last post all the sheet metal is installed, most all of the interior is done, I've aligned it, and drove it to work - once!

Got a good set of junkyard mirrors from a 90's Ford truck

Front all buttoned up with my quad lights

The rear is done. Got some vinyl letters that match the dark gray paint pretty close. Also found a reproduction AMC badge on eBay.

Had a set of door panels that babywag had given me. Tape them off and gave them a coat of gray. I kept the "wood trim" cause I dig it.

All the window moldings are installed

After a lot of frustration, cursing and fabrication, I was able to get the power window kit to work (kind of). The driver's window works well, but I still need to persuade the passenger a bit. It does not want to go up so I need to figure out what's hanging it up.

I'm quite pleased with the interior. The seats are the most asked about part. Middle row Honda Pilot.

Found a locking gas cap. It's for a 39-48 Mercury.

A friend of mine teaches auto at the local community college so we were able to take it down on a Sunday, put it on the rack and align it.

Classin' up the parking lot at work!

Unfortunately, it's back in the garage. The FITech is not getting the fuel it needs. I think I missed some crud in the aux. tank and it worked it's way through the system and clogged the one or both filters. I pulled and cleaned them once, and it ran great, for a few miles. Then it was starving for fuel once again. So I plan on pulling the aux. tank back out and get it cleaned right, and replace the filters. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by glake on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nightglide

Post by nightglide »

Are you using the fitech inline pump? I've had issues with mine. Ended up with a Walbro 255
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection
4" Lift....3" body lift....35" ats

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

nightglide wrote:Are you using the fitech inline pump? I've had issues with mine. Ended up with a Walbro 255
Yes. I just ordered a different one from Summit. It's their brand SUM-250111.

nightglide

Post by nightglide »

I think that's the one I have but it says walbro right on the side of it lol
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

nightglide wrote:I think that's the one I have but it says walbro right on the side of it lol
Better with the new pump?

nightglide

Post by nightglide »

Much better. Fitech sent me a replacement pump........it lasted bout 50 mi and then seized solid so I put walbro back in. The only concern I have with the walbro is it's rated at 60psi and fitech needs 58.....kinda on the edge. The fitech pump is rated at 100psi.
I'm sure my first pump was bad from the beginning........the noise it made was ear shattering lol. New one was much quieter for the 50 mi it lasted. The walbro is almost silent.
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

nightglide wrote:Much better. Fitech sent me a replacement pump........it lasted bout 50 mi and then seized solid so I put walbro back in. The only concern I have with the walbro is it's rated at 60psi and fitech needs 58.....kinda on the edge. The fitech pump is rated at 100psi.
I'm sure my first pump was bad from the beginning........the noise it made was ear shattering lol. New one was much quieter for the 50 mi it lasted. The walbro is almost silent.
Sounds similar to mine. It started off fine, but within after I put a little over 60 miles on, it became much louder. I also noticed that it made a surging sound. The second time it began acting up, it was pretty hot. I don't think they are a good quality pump. Disappointing considering how much I spent for the kit. I could have sworn that I found information on the FITech pump in their FAQs on their website's tech section. It's mysteriously gone. There are some threads on the Bronco sites about this problem. That's where I read about the Summit pump. PSI is the same as what I read on FITech's FAQ (when it was there) and it has a higher lph rating. I've also heard the the FI is only a pusher, while this one pulls as well. We'll see how it goes.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

I haven't updated in a while. I drove the truck for a few weeks when a few interior electrical gremlins reared their heads. Mainly the interior lights randomly turning off and on. Tracked it down to a faulty headlight switch. I contacted Summit Racing and they warrantied it. Rather than replacing it with another, I ordered the stock replacement for a 70 Chevy truck from LMC which matches the wiper switch.

In late September I had a little mishap. Slipped on a wet spot on the driveway and dislocate my knee big time. Two months later and I still can only bend it to almost 90 degrees. So I was down for a bit and when I was able to drive, I found that the lack of leg room with the new seats made it impossible. So the Glad went into the garage and I took the opportunity to take care of the electrical issues as well as tidy up the wires. I also removed the seats and was able to move them almost 2" back. Made a BIG difference! The downside was loosing the behind the seat trunk I made, but the leg room is so much better.

A few leaks also developed during the few weeks on the road. In hind sight, I should have changed out all the gaskets in the motor. It obviously sat too long after the rebuild and they dried out. So I got all the leaky gaskets changed, swapped in a new timing cover on the Buick since the old one was a bit worn, and also changed the brake switch from under the dash push button to a pressure switch in the brake line - works much better.

I'm extremely frustrated by the door seals. I bought a set from BJ's and the fit just was not right. PITA to get the doors to even come close to closing correctly. I have to really slam them to get them closed. So I ordered a set from TGW. I liked the fitment better, especially around the corner, however, the doors still won't close correctly! Sooo, after a bit of reading around the interwebs about the issue and the difference in door size on the later versus early models, I came across a post about an item on eBay, Trim LoK Lock Seal 3/16 x 5/8" bulb A Side Door Rubber Trailer Camper RV. I'm going to put those on today. Fingers crossed.

Seats out, leg up - cleaning some electrical.

Going back together. I also had to replace the radio. I don't think the good deal I got on a "new" one from Amazon was such a good deal, nor was it new. It had all kinds of buzzing and other interference issues that it shouldn't have had. So I went back to my standby company, Crutchfield, and picked up a great sounding JVC model.

Brake and engine work.

Back on the road! The new Summit brand fuel pump is working great. Much quieter than the FITech model (and it works). The Buick is running great with the fuel injection. Timing set to 14, a steady idle of about 750 RPM and no problems at any speed. Very pleased.

A few early morning shots

Drove it to work all week and it was great! I love it more every time I drive it.

I'm now gearing up to tackle the Waggy!
Last edited by glake on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Still leaking?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Nice job, glake. Let get that Wagon going.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

az chip wrote:Still leaking?
No. That last shot was actually before the new gaskets. So far it's leak free. Odd for a Jeep!

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Update: Things have been working great on the Gladiator. One issue I had was the power wire for the FITech fried. After a bit of research, I found that it's not uncommon even though FITech seems to claim that it is. I ended up adding a relay for the fuel pump. Curious that they did not do that as part of the kit, or even tell you to get your own relay and do it.

I'm still fighting the door seals. Bj's didn't work, TGW didn't work, finally got some Trim LoK Lock Seal 3/16 x 5/8" bulb A Side Door Rubber Trailer Camper RV off of eBay. It's works much better, but I'm struggling to get the adjustment right. I've also developed a windshield leak and a crack in the corner. I noticed that they just put the windshield in with the gasket and no sealant. From what I've read, they should have used 3M Bedding & Glazing Compound. I'll be heading to the glass place tomorrow to get it fixed.

Driving has been great. Lots of head turning, thumbs up, etc. It even did great on it's first towing challenge bringing home Wagoneer #2! (I'll start that build thread soon).
Last edited by glake on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herk

Post by Herk »

I wish the Russians would stick to hacking elections...

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Herk wrote:I wish the Russians would stick to hacking elections...
No kidding.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

glake wrote:I went with American Racing AR23 16x8 wheels and 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs.
Do you happen to know the backspacing on those wheels? I only asking since I'm looking at putting 285s on my truck and switching to a 16" rim. My truck did have the stock, really narrow 16" steel wheels but I could not fit too wide of a tire on those rims without the sidewall contacting the rear leaf springs.
Thanks in advance.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

twisted frame wrote:
glake wrote:I went with American Racing AR23 16x8 wheels and 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs.
Do you happen to know the backspacing on those wheels? I only asking since I'm looking at putting 285s on my truck and switching to a 16" rim. My truck did have the stock, really narrow 16" steel wheels but I could not fit too wide of a tire on those rims without the sidewall contacting the rear leaf springs.
Thanks in advance.
4.5", but I do make some contact on full rights.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Got it, thanks!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

Very nice gladiator,
Any news on the door seals?
I've used the summit ones on my wagoneer, which seal well but I have to slam it to get double latched.
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear