Meet Honeydew - 1971 Wagoneer Custom

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Renodemona

Re: Meet Honeydew - 1971 Wagoneer Custom

Post by Renodemona »

Seconded....er...thirded! You should come if you can anyway, even if the Wag isn't quite ready.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

FrankenWag wrote:Honestly I don't have an opinion yet- I haven't driven it more than 10 miles (in town) since the swap, I have been having some brake booster issues, and other little bugs to work out. Hopefully this weekend will be its first actual driving moments!

Tim
Oh, I see. After you drive it for a bit, I'd love to know what you think of the difference! LM7s can be had for fairly cheap out here and I occasionally wonder if it would be better to swap than to TBI when the time comes.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I remember seeing the build thread on the ifsja site- what a great set up all the way around.

What color is your Wag? It looks great!

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

66stepside wrote:I remember seeing the build thread on the ifsja site- what a great set up all the way around.

What color is your Wag? It looks great!
Thanks! Not sure - it's close to avocado mist, but more silver... I think it was repainted some years ago, but by a more creative person.

it's been a b**ch to match the color and metal flake though- when we enlarged the rear fender opening, that was quite the chore for the repaint..

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Lumpskie wrote:
FrankenWag wrote:Honestly I don't have an opinion yet- I haven't driven it more than 10 miles (in town) since the swap, I have been having some brake booster issues, and other little bugs to work out. Hopefully this weekend will be its first actual driving moments!

Tim
Oh, I see. After you drive it for a bit, I'd love to know what you think of the difference! LM7s can be had for fairly cheap out here and I occasionally wonder if it would be better to swap than to TBI when the time comes.
OKay, after driving it about 200 miles in the last week or so, I can say without hesitation, the LM7 swap is the best mod i've made. I've got some driveline vibrations I need to work out at highway speeds (from the offset pinion i believe + lift) but aside from that it's stellar. the power and economy are just night and day, and the smoothness/quietness plus the excellent fueling and starting - it's amazing.

Things i've learned - not sure if I should have chosen the 700R4. I had it built initially to be behind the 360, then decided to upgrade to the 5.3 vortec. Had i planned to go 5.3 from the start, I probably should have gone with the 4L60E or 4L80E from the start, just because it's native to the motor. Yes, there may have been some more electronics involved, but it may actually have been simpler. Getting the TV cable (kickdown) and other parts all to work in sync has been a challenge. Also, little stuff that's important to me, like keeping the stock dash and guages, has been a downright PITA to get working across decades of different hardware...

but to drive it is to love it.. really!

T

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Closer to completed, though it seems it will never be done....ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tim

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tim

BlackDynamite

Post by BlackDynamite »

Man that thing is nice. That color and light wood grain combo look great together.
90 Grand Wag
73 Camaro
Trek Fuel EX8
Specialized Tarmac Expert
14 Durango R/T (Wife)

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Thanks BD!

Tim

BlackDynamite

Post by BlackDynamite »

I just found out about Expedition Portal and saw your rig there also. I found that site and then lost 6 hours of my life. So much info.
90 Grand Wag
73 Camaro
Trek Fuel EX8
Specialized Tarmac Expert
14 Durango R/T (Wife)

rlm2550

Post by rlm2550 »

when you get some highway miles, I'd like to know if the tires are loud.. Thanks!!
Robin
1978 Cherokee Chief, 401, 700R4, NP208. Dana 44's x 2, Mickey Thompson Deegan tires, lunchbox locker in the rear

krom

Post by krom »

disc brakes with ford outers, 15x8 Kelsey-Hayes Renegade Series 1 wheels from 1970, and 33x10.50 Toyo MT's.
Great looking Wagoneer! Can you expand a little on the brake setup you had while running the Kelsey Hayes 15x8 Renegade I wheels? I am having a heck of a time finding a disc or 11" drum setup that will fit. Thanks!

billyballer

Post by billyballer »

Plus 1 to the question above. How did you manage 15x8 Kelsey-Hayes Renegade Series 1 wheels and disc brakes?
Or did you have to swap wheels when you went to discs (which would be too bad because those wheels look tits).

Bill

Topic author
FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Wheel spacers were necessary to clear the discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

I can't believe you drove it through the mud hole.
1979 Wagoneer

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Wow man what a nice rig. Wish I could pony up that kinda dough on my two rigs 87 and a 90 GW''s

What kindof millage are you getting out of your setup?

Shwag

Post by Shwag »

Sick! That color is really nice!
06 LR RR | 86 GW AMC 360 Howell TBI, Edelbrock Performance Intake| 79 BMW R100S