16 Sep 2015 New member Budget '89 Waggy

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Xplitive

16 Sep 2015 New member Budget '89 Waggy

Post by Xplitive »

hello, I got introduced to jeeps through a friend who found a jeep for me through a friend of a friend of a friend. I think I have that right. Anyway, we went for a look and noted the car seemed pretty complete and actually rust free, which was a surprise for something sitting outside, being a jeep, and sunk up to the rims.
Last registered in 2006, been sitting since and covered in pine needles and furry growth. We didn't have much info on why it was parked other than the previous owner became ill. He had bought it in 2001 and looks like had to have few things done right after buying it, like an engine. So the rebuild is about 15 years ago but only has 5K miles or so. Receipt shows all new hoses installed at the same time. It had a little micro electric inline fuel pump installed on the frame rail and no mechanical fuel pump. My friend had a great plan - he was convinced we could drive it home. Gas smelled good, radiator, all fluids seemed present...
Well, he was right. The tires held air (at least until a day or two after making the trip). We poured fuel through the fuel line to prime the electric pump and get a seal to pull up the gas.The engine fired pretty quickly and we made ample brake checks getting it out onto the road and during the 50 min drive at no more than 50 mph to make sure everything was working.. and.. mainly because I didn't want to go faster and wanted plenty of room in case we had to bail. Well here it is. This will be all budget.
Thanks for looking,
Erik

as found

new parking spot pre cleaning

After a little time with the power washer
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
Xplitive

Re: 16 Sep 2015 New member Budget '89 Waggy

Post by Xplitive »

I forgot to add we had to take the '79 in the background too. Its pretty complete but has rust, I didn't look at it too much because I knew the funds wouldn't be there for to get it going. So my friend has some plans for it as you'll note the collection of other jeeps in his yard.
Erik

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Wow, that thing cleaned up nice! And, it's still got the rear window wiper!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

You've got balls I'll give you that. Goodluck and your small budget is going to need some room to grow if you want to make that a show jeep.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

thanks, 'show' and 'budget' are not synonymous. Just looking for something fun and relatively safe.

Plan is get it on a lift for a once over, oil change, and lube.

Is there a recommended oil for flat tappet cam motors or do I need to add zinc?

Has been fast idling at 2K rpm since we got it back (the drive went without a hiccup), going to clean the electric choke connections first.

Radiator is weeping a little, may have been side effect of washing. Start first with stop leak and get some driving time.

Sits level but springs are relatively flat, looking for about a 2.5" lift on 30" tires. Found Rancho 44044 front springs new shipped for @$320 pair. Warranty was really attractive. Trying to figure out the rear: lift block, rearch, or new springs.

Sort out the small stuff, see what comes up, most everything seemed to work. Gas gauge 1/2 half off.

Has a warning buzzer going off that is tied into the column/drive selector or ignition switch, fiddling with them make it go off but I can pull the key out too and it will still run.
Erik

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

Might need a new Ignition. Nothings worse than it not starting because the ignition is worn out. Might be worth it to go through the wiring and clean off all the connectors and what-not. Could be shorting out when you take the key out.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

well, quick update.. front springs installed, rancho 44044. The bushings on the old springs were in excellent condition. My friend, Mike, text me he was going to work on it and by the time I got there he was almost done so I just resorted to handing him a few things on the last spring. Rear springs are my dilemma and hopefully will have some news this week.

Haven't been able to really get the truck to run after completing the banzai run following a 9ish year hiatus sitting in a yard. The tires haven't held air very well either since that drive. After you start to see the next pictures, you'll probably agree that it was pretty amazing that the truck started quickly and drove off without a hitch.

Read the hayes manual and we tried a few things. Investigated the choke and jumpered it to the battery, worked. Checked power and resistance at the ignition module. seemed ok. Found a spark plug wire was really more like sitting on the spark plug.

Engine bay

Noticed the small diameter vacuum lines coming off and around the carb/manifold were disintegrated and crumbled away, especially at the ports. Next noticed some fuel of the front bottom of the carb where one of the vacuum hoses was all ate up.

Short search and found a pic heavy thread on a 2150 rebuild so now I know the diaphragms are probably shot in the power valve and accelerator pump. There shouldn't be any fuel getting pulled through the vacuum line but thats whats happening. Found a couple of power valves in my tool box and eyeballed them to see they have diaphragms in them. Found the red umbrella seal too and only need to go find a accelerator pump diaphragm at the local parts place.

Is there a part for this? It was RTV'd in there and the fitting in the hose is much smaller than the one in the riser.

I would kind of like to remove all the emissions and vacuum stuff but I'm a bit worried about any sort of inspection requirement that may come up. Wondering if I can remove most of the hoses and leave the hard parts there to (1) elimate potential vacuum leaks, (2) makes sure everything is pretty much present for any future inspection stuff as hoses would be easier to reinstall.

thanks for looking.
Erik

mejerifly

Post by mejerifly »

That looks like the check valve from the air pump. Not sure of a part number but I found one at Napa when I searched for a GM/Chevy truck. It should screw in if the threads are still there.
'84 J20 360/727/208

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

official project name: White Unicorn.

you'll see why..
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

official project name: White Unicorn.

you'll see why..
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

After Rancho 44044s installed. stock shocks still.

Ordered rear springs from General Spring with 2" lift, basically a full length add a leaf inserted. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Friday! 5160 steel, shot peened, heat treated. Was a little concerned about ride but the quick drive down the street with the rear rancho shocks set to full soft seemed pretty good. Cost wise about $450, not including shipping.

Going in.. someone has a jeep problem, my buddy who did all the work..
the other waggy we had to take as part of the deal
found the window sticker in the glove box for that one.
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

begins

everything looked clean underneath

decal on frame "87"?

brakes showed signs of.. braking recently.. which is good given our recent road trip after years of sitting.

found the rear axle breather vent still attached to the frame with the broken piece of hose.

good spare

swapping the eye inserts. old set of rancho 9000s, worked great given the resistance when we tried to extend them with the dial turned up! yellow shock is extended, rancho is compressed, definitely needed the extra 2" as the suspension was limited with the old shocks.

in she goes.. and not too easily...
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

wallah!
oh and all this completed in between rain showers from Hurricane Joaquin.

Waiting on a new champion radiator EC78, the old one kept springing leaks everywhere so out went the leak stop idea. Just got notice that the 31" Yokohamas are delayed.
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Near being in driving condition... $41 rebuild kit and only used the power valve, gasket, umbrella seal and accelerator pump/diaphragm. Runs like a champ, oil change to follow.
Also received the champion radiator ec78. It looks just like the picture in the link. Only thing is there is no radiator cap/fill provision. Slightly confused and not sure what the big threaded fitting is above the lower radiator hose. Trying to post a photobucket link of it from my phone and it's not letting me. Will have to check measurements too as its short and wide.

http://www.championradiators.com/jeep-w ... -1984-1990

Well dang here it is.. Ef me, need the cc441
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 860&page=2
Other part is the AIR tube and check valve. The valve is AV7 and both are readily available at rockauto or direct from PCI inc. although rock is cheaper by about $12, while bjs looksime it is the same part and twice as much.
Erik

letank

Post by letank »

Xplitive wrote:
http://www.championradiators.com/jeep-w ... -1984-1990

Well dang here it is.. Ef me, need the cc441
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 860&page=2
Other part is the AIR tube and check valve. The valve is AV7 and both are readily available at rockauto or direct from PCI inc. although rock is cheaper by about $12, while bjs looksime it is the same part and twice as much.
you have a grand wagoneer.... this radiator is for an XJ cherokee... there was a luxury version called the wagoneer.... w the wood panels...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Yep, Not knowing what to look for, the company recommended one is what I selected. Now that I know what to look for... Turns out there are a lot of threads out there that try to direct everyone to the cc441. Still must not happen enough for the company to correct their website. Looks like I'm not the first but not the last either
Erik

letank

Post by letank »

Except for some electrical parts....it can be safe to order for wagoneer year 74 to 1983...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

well white unicorn held back some good luck from us today. The reason we named this project white unicorn, well the color and the unicorn was mystical, which is what seemed to be happening to us up until today. for instance, here are the spring eye bolts when we took them out to do the lift. Pretty sure these are reusable..

Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

My friend was trolling for rims for his rig and found a guy that also had some jeep slots. We threw him a package offer.. I like the factory rims so didn't go over the top on my offer of $75 for all four.

An hour's time and $40 investment in white diamond polish and a power cone for polishing cleaned up the rims nicely.

31" Kumhos were a great deal after the $120 rebate (still need to send that in).

And now we have this:

Radiator arrives tomorrow but...
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

taking out the old AIR tube bolts to install the new AIR tube

resulted in a snapped bolt and then this trying to remove the bolt. So now we are officially slowed down...

what we need it to look like..

Looking for input.. trying to be somewhat emission compliant is important but I don't want to spend too much money on an old carbureted vehicle that probably wasn't great on emissions to begin with anyways. Also since I don't know how some of the vacuum, emissions stuff tie into each other, I did recently acquire a tbi unit with a painless harness for the princely sum of $160. So TBI is in the near future too.
Erik