16 Sep 2015 New member Budget '89 Waggy

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Cheap Hobby

Re: 16 Sep 2015 New member Budget '89 Waggy

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Well when I install the Howell TBI with the California exemption I will be able to remove the AIR tubes and be legal. If you don't have to pass smog check or visual is not required run short bolts in the AIR bolt holes and install your TBI. A new cat will do more for good emissions than the AIR tubes. You can go to Howell's site and see the install instructions with vacuum line routing for their TBI. There are only 4 other lines needed for the rest of the rig.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Cheap Hobby wrote:Well when I install the Howell TBI with the California exemption I will be able to remove the AIR tubes and be legal. If you don't have to pass smog check or visual is not required run short bolts in the AIR bolt holes and install your TBI. A new cat will do more for good emissions than the AIR tubes. You can go to Howell's site and see the install instructions with vacuum line routing for their TBI. There are only 4 other lines needed for the rest of the rig.
Thanks for that! Just read it, think I will block it off. Now just need to figure out what to do with the broken area or if a new manifold is required.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Coming back to life.. parked it for probably a year or so. Didn’t have much heat coming out of the ducts last winter.. or maybe 2 winters ago judging from these time stamps..said I’ll get to it.. finally did and found a baseball size mud wasp nest in the blend door. That far into, said “hey, let’s get some working a/c!”
That turned into an entirely too long project - come one folks, not enough thorough FSJ a/c rebuild info detailed.. anywhere for us noobs! So heat and a/c in time for winter, fortunately here in Virginia, October is still nice and warm.
..a/c “stuff” (mainly the underdash box with evaporator) in and out about 40 times, finally on the second recharge of the system - hit 42 degree vent temp (R134). BooYah!

Oh also installed an electric OEM Ford fan with PWM control. Sheez, talk about the real issue being no room between the water pump and radiator!

Also did the Dodge Durango rear wiper motor, amen that went smoothly and works like a champ.

No one bought the TBI I put up for sale (in time) so.. bought an Edelbrock manifold and will be going EFI. Not sure I’m ready to learn computer programming from scratch. Would like to start with a chip from someone that has a similar vehicle parameters. I mean, it’s an ‘89 on 31”s with working a/c, tons of those running around, right?
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear