1975 J-20 Holmns wrecker

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jaber
Vendor

1975 J-20 Holmns wrecker

Post by jaber »

Well, its a snowy day so theres nothing to do, guess I'll move another build thread over. :P

I was living in a small Az. town and the trip for supplies would take me through another little community. About a 1/4 mile off the Hi way I could see this in a back yard. I would rubber neck every time I went by it. Over the course of about 4 years, I kept stopping in to talk to the guy and he kept putting me off. It disappeared for about 6 months and I got VERY sad, then it showed back up. I immediately went over and hounded him again. This time he agreed he had other projects and was ready to let it go. He had put a Chevy engine into it, and blew it up, and pulled it back out. It was just a shell of a truck and thieves were trying to rob parts off it. We struck a deal and I trailered it home for $200. :shock:

The back story is that this Jeep was Special ordered from the Peoria Jeep dealer here in Az. and lived its service life for Rays towing and recovery in the Phoenix area. When Ray passed, his niece got this and I got it from her and her husband.

I did a lot of research and found out what it had so I could start hunting for parts. I moved 4 times and to 2 different cities hauling this empty carcass around with me. About 3 years ago, I found an ad on CL for a '75 J-20 with a 4 speed. Just what I was holding out for. I made a deal with the guy to trade enough Chevy parts to build a truck minus an engine and took it the 60 miles to trade. When I got home, just for grins, I put a battery and 5 gal of gas into this 20 and it started and drove off the trailer. Those that have followed will recognize this one...

Being the first T-18A I'd found in 8 years, I pulled the entire drive train out of the pickup and put it into the wrecker. Driving it for the first time was priceless. Image About a month after that, I met a guy in the next town over with a CJ5 and we are BSing in front of the McParts store, when he tells me he has a T-18/ D-20 sitting on his garage floor. Further discussion reveals that it has the PTO on the tranny and that it came out of the same place my wrecker did. What are the odds of finding the original parts? I traded a $400 generator for the whole set up, still on the original x-member.

I have to completely go through them as the tranny dont turn.
It is extremely handy having a boom truck around.

I picked up a Ramsey 8K PTO winch with bumper from a '71 and mounted it to the front. The winch for the bed runs off the tranny, the bumper winch off the t-case. They wont work together, so I gave up on that idea, until a customer gave me a Ramsey 8K electric winch off a '77 CJ7. It was huge on the nose of that CJ. It wont fit into the winch bumper, but think I can duplicate one so it will look right.

Lately I have been rebuilding the parts to the bed that are missing, or broken. I dont have the funds to rush this, so I do what I can, as I can. One day I hope to find a 401 to replace this little 'ole 304 in 'er now, but Flint wont let go of one... Image

More pics for your pleasure...

Last edited by jaber on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Re: 1975 J-20 Holmns wrecker

Post by fulsizjeep »

Everything here is covered in white. Great pix Jeff. You have a nice stable of Jeep crack there. :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

You should stop in sometime, I'll give you the tour... :D
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Are you wanting to sell that old piece of iron :D. Great write and pictures up on it.
Thanks for sharing. I have alway enjoyed see that truck.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Great story!
I've been contemplating putting a set of gin poles on Crom, someday. Somebody asked BlackBart why he didn't have a wrecker instead of a trailer he said " I bring home to much junk now could you imagine the amount of trouble I could be in with a wrecker!"

Topic author
jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

This thing dont have plates, thats how I keep from dragging more home.

Jerry, you are welcome to come visit it any time you want. I'll even let you sit in it... :D
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

jaber wrote:This thing dont have plates, thats how I keep from dragging more home.

Jerry, you are welcome to come visit it any time you want. I'll even let you sit in it... :D
Oh, Thank You :D

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Man, I love that wrecker! Great truck, great story.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its certainly a cool truck. And I love those 8 lug wagon wheels. Very rare that I see a set of them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I went to the local pull n save and in the for sale section they have about 7 old wreckers for sale... But no j truck style! I had to take a few pics for you Jaber!

They won't let anyone pull parts off these, but if they don't sell them, they will all get put out to be parted out in the self service yard.

Topic author
jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Just having the boom around makes most of my swapping a one man chore. It is a very useful tool in my arsenal. Everyone should get one, no matter the make...

Thanks for the pics, those are cool old trucks, road hard and put away wet. :D
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The old style wreckers are being pulled off the highways due to changing regulations that are putting all the small guys out of business.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle