Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
az chip

Re: Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:What is the oil pressure doing? Verify with a mechanical gauge.
Dropping to zero and sluggish response on gauge when hot.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
az chip wrote:Any ideas for oil pressure welcome. I searched and found the "oil gets hot drops to 5 psi threads. Just the relief spring or full oil pump replacement?
What weight oil you running??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-40
Hmmm... Then I back willE. You'll want to verify with a mechanical gauge.

Curly

Post by Curly »

I have the low oil psi issue. I installed a T fitting with an electric gauge on my engine to verify my oil psi. Below 10 at idle in Drive/hot. I rebuilt the pump-- new gears and mid plate from BJ's. I also measured the pump clearances as outlined in the FSM. My front cover is worn beyond specs so the new gears and mid plate didn't help. I am eventually going to have to put a cover on it, but for now I am running 15w-40 and I bumped the idle a touch to help the psi stay a bit higher.
My advice to you is to first verify your oil psi, and then if necessary, switch to a higher viscosity oil, replace the pump gear set and put in a mid plate. Super easy to do with the external pump on these engines.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Curly wrote:I have the low oil psi issue. I installed a T fitting with an electric gauge on my engine to verify my oil psi. Below 10 at idle in Drive/hot. I rebuilt the pump-- new gears and mid plate from BJ's. I also measured the pump clearances as outlined in the FSM. My front cover is worn beyond specs so the new gears and mid plate didn't help. I am eventually going to have to put a cover on it, but for now I am running 15w-40 and I bumped the idle a touch to help the psi stay a bit higher.
My advice to you is to first verify your oil psi, and then if necessary, switch to a higher viscosity oil, replace the pump gear set and put in a mid plate. Super easy to do with the external pump on these engines.

Ted,
My thoughts as well. I have the parts coming. And a new end plate. There is a great series of posts on the Jeepforum about fixing your end plate to new tolerance.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:
Curly wrote:I have the low oil psi issue. I installed a T fitting with an electric gauge on my engine to verify my oil psi. Below 10 at idle in Drive/hot. I rebuilt the pump-- new gears and mid plate from BJ's. I also measured the pump clearances as outlined in the FSM. My front cover is worn beyond specs so the new gears and mid plate didn't help. I am eventually going to have to put a cover on it, but for now I am running 15w-40 and I bumped the idle a touch to help the psi stay a bit higher.

Ted,
My thoughts as well. I have the parts coming. And a new end plate. There is a great series of posts on the Jeepforum about fixing your end plate to new tolerance.
I can't take the credit for that sir. Will E and Curly are your brains in this one. Image

Curly

Post by Curly »

az chip wrote:

Ted,

Ted is the New Tim? :D Link for the thread? It must be the CJ or YJ forum because the FSJ section on JF is dead.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Curly wrote:
az chip wrote:

Ted,

Ted is the New Tim? :D Link for the thread? It must be the CJ or YJ forum because the FSJ section on JF is dead.
Ted is a Tim? :fsj:

CJ forum. Member name JeepHammer. Link to thread below

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/amc-v ... d-1050446/

Curly

Post by Curly »

Thanks for the link.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Pulling out the oil pump. The driven gear will not come out. Pulled the distributor out. No help. Nothing is ever easy at times. The end plate is scored pretty bad as well. Need to measure the sidewall pump gear clearance. Just as soon as I pull this gear out. Geez.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I have been quite busy at work.

My driven oil pump gear is stuck and will not come out. I am worried that of I brass drift it out I will damage the timing cover. Not optimal. I have sprayed some Kroil in there to try and break up or loosen whatever is binding on the pump shaft. Any other ideas or tool suggestions very welcome. The learning burns sometimes.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Since the gears should probably be replaced anyway, can you weld something to the driven gear to ease it's removal?

If it's stuck I'd bet it's stuck on a little bur, something you should be able to force past. Maybe take a real fine pick and drag it around the tip of the shaft the gear ride on? In the little space between the two? If there is just a little bur that should take care of it.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Nikkormat wrote:Since the gears should probably be replaced anyway, can you weld something to the driven gear to ease it's removal?

If it's stuck I'd bet it's stuck on a little bur, something you should be able to force past. Maybe take a real fine pick and drag it around the tip of the shaft the gear ride on? In the little space between the two? If there is just a little bur that should take care of it.
Could be a burr. I will check that tonight.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Waiting on Bulltear which should be their motto. Putting in the Twin Fab sliders tonight. Image

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

az chip wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:Since the gears should probably be replaced anyway, can you weld something to the driven gear to ease it's removal?

Could be a burr. I will check that tonight.
I got the gear out. Made my own tool to fit in the timing cover with distributor removed. Just waiting on bulltear.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

These jumped into my truck yesterday. Image

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Don't know what to do. So I built the new engine stand. From thisImage

To this

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Tearing down the 401 tonight. Found the data tag on the valve cover.

202Z15

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

On the Cherokee.

Got the new pump gears in and clearances set.
https://youtu.be/5O8S5nmiSO4

Also got a little matter of plates!!!!

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

That look good.

will e

Post by will e »

Congradulations on getting plates! Always a sigh of relief when I pass emissions.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge